Fretboard Overhang?

I am building a guitar with a 24 fret fretboard. I was trying to model it after my RG550 neck that has an overhang for the upper frets. Should I try to duplicate this, or is it OK to just keep the neck solid all the way to the neck pocket? If I need to keep the overhang, does anyone know what the dimensions should be?

"I think" the only reasons some guitars have overhang and others don't is ( A ) appearance, it's looks a bit more pro cause one of the seams (neck pocket bottom) is covered. and ( B ) on 24 fret necks where the neck pickup is going to pressed right up against then fingerboard, having an overhang allows to leave more woode between the neck pocket routing and the neck pickup routing, since this is one of the walls the neck is going to be pressing against, a thicker walll for more support can be a good idea, but is not absolutly necesary.

Since I'm not using a pickguard, would I need to route (into the body) a little under the overhang and have the overhang's bottom edge sit below the top of the body? Does that make sense? What I am after is hiding the overhang's bottom edge from view I guess. Thanks for the reply.

There is really only one reason for having your fretboard hang over like that.

And that is if you have a 22 fret guitar, that you convert to 24 (even though that would be quite an overhang!).

That's why you see it on Strats.

They were originally 21 frets, but when they decided to step up to 22, they just added the overhang.

No need to modify the neck pocket, or the manufacturing of the neck.

Since I'm not using a pickguard, would I need to route (into the body) a little under the overhang and have the overhang's bottom edge sit below the top of the body? Does that make sense? What I am after is hiding the overhang's bottom edge from view I guess. Thanks for the reply.

i think i understand what you want to do, but unless your going to angle the neck back like on a SG or LP, then you're going to have a bit of trouble, because most fingerboards aren't that thick. Like, ok, the bottom of the fingerboard should be about 1mm higher then the top of the guitar so that the bridge will have enough room to sit on the guitar height wise. i suppose you could make the part of the neck that fits into the pocket really thin, but then you're losing strength, and without a tilt back neck you'll have the saddles way to low for comfort (or if you're going to use a floyd you'll find the trem pocket won't be deep enough)

Just go take a look at some guitars in a store that have overhang and that don't have a pickguard, then you can see what you have to do.

hope this all helped.