New Single Cutaway Design

This is a mockup of a design I put together for a friend. We've bought all the wood already and hardware/electronics. Just finalizing the shape. At first it was going to be a tele copy, but he wanted something a little different so here goes:

(image removed.. see below)

Thoughts? Opinions? Let em rip..

I agree... it kinda looks like you took my old Washburn A20 (a sort of stubby Explorer) and spliced it onto the tail end of a Les Paul.

I'd say either make the horn/cutaway areas more rounded, or make the tail more angular. But it really only matters what your friend thinks. :D

Mike

the dean cadillac has some of the same issues.. but it truly is an explorer top with a standard round lower bout.

The proportions aren't a whole lot different than a telecaster body. 1/2 inch less width at lower bout and 1" total width less at upper bout.

I realize there is nothing new under the sun, i don't claim to be 100% original :D but there are so many les paul and tele copies out there, breaking up the curves was one of the easiest way I could draw attention away from that and give it it's own personality.

Thanks for the input so far.

I like the angularity of it, but the other comments so far ring true. As Godin pointed out, there's something off about the balance between the upper and lower halves. Then the bout with the toggle switch on it doesn't seem to have quite enough beef.

Greg

I realize there is nothing new under the sun, i don't claim to be 100% original :D  but there are so many les paul and tele copies out there, breaking up the curves was one of the easiest way I could draw attention away from that and give it it's own personality.

Thanks for the input so far.

Coming up with a "new" guitar shape that doesn't look like you were trying too hard to be "original" is one of the hardest things to do... except maybe getting more cowbell :D

Gene lives!

Maybe you could try offsetting the waist sections slightly.

Like lowering the curves on each side a lil with the treble/horn side down a bit more from the other. Just very slight changes but not so much that it looks like a tele with square horns, hehe.

I like the rounded bottom.

:D

OK.. thanks for the feedback. If you will humor me.. Here are some tweaks based on the suggestions here.

Before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After

SingleCutDesign.jpgSingleCutDesign2.jpg

body slightly offset, non-cut horn is enlarged slightly and rounded a bit more. And obviously some just won't like this style at all but for those on the fence, what are your thoughts after these tweaks?

Thanks again...

Yeah i've decided that too, but something looks off and it may be as simple as I don't have the proportions of pups and stuff right in phptoshop. I just eyballed that stuff. The second one is ugly. The first one as a black silhouette looks great i think.. but mocked up something is wrong

Ya There Is It's that ugly humbucker!! Really man Lose the neck pickup And that have a look at It, It's shocking How good this thing could look

EDIT: Ba you went and edited your post on me :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

ok.. my buddy wants the tele bridge.. that's not my preference. Here is it mocked up with humbucker routes to scale and should be a better representation. And some of you stil lmay think it sucks but it all seems to be in better proportion to me at least so this would be a more fair example to judge.

SingleCutDesign3.jpg

the design committed to wood :D It's not finish sanded yet, this is just the bandsawed profile. The parts show the scale a bit better. It's very comfortable. Body is african mahogany with about a 1/4" strip of curly maple in between. Not so curly on the top but very curly on the back edge. The body will be topped with sycamore.

SingleCutParts.jpg