Roadstar Scratch Plate Etc...

im about to undertake the modding of a genuine 1980's ibanez roadstar. this one has 3 SC pickups, but i am going to put a PAF in the bridge.

questions:

can a standard strat scratchplate be used? i dont think i can cut the SC bridge slot to fit a humbucker.

i will need to pot the existing remaining pickups - these are old ibanez ones, any precautions? and i know people are picky about the wax mix they use, what is best to remove microphonics - they are quite microphonic pickups.

if the strat scratchplate is not an option, would it be fair to assume making a scratchplate isnt too arduous - ie make a template from the origional in MDF, and use the router to clean the PUP holes, and use a 45 bit for the edges...

i want the classic 1979 ish SG PAF sound from this guitar, is it fair to assume the PAF in the RS will get me most of the way there? or is there a better pup for emulating the sounds, as the RS is ash and maple, with the SG being mahog.

cheers

Mike

can a standard strat scratchplate be used? i dont think i can cut the SC bridge slot to fit a humbucker.

Yep, I rebuilt one of those back in the late 90's and gave it to my father. I ordered a fully loaded strat pickguard (3 single coils) from Stewmac for this guitar and it fit fine. All the pickup cavities lined up as well as neck pocket and, I think, most of the mounting screw holes, but its been a while. :D However, I don't know about other pickup size/shape configurations.

and i know people are picky about the wax mix they use, what is best to remove microphonics - they are quite microphonic pickups

Never did it but I heard pure bee's wax is the best as its softer and melts at lower temperature (than candle wax) and becomes very fluid so it will whicker in everywhere. That should stabilize any loose windings that might be giving you noise problems.

thanks alot for the reply :D

glad the strat plate will fit, i didnt especially want to spend much time making a plate!

thanks

Mike

making plates is a walk in the park...cut it,sand it with sandpaper,moving up through the grits until the scratches are gone...and that's it