American Pear Wood

:D I was lucky to get a boule of pear about 10 years ago and it has been air drying up in the rafters of my shop that long. I can't bring my self to cut it up for funiture as I normally make cabinets and the like. But I think it would make a great guitar it's properties are very similar to maple and it even has some curl to it. ~~ But~~~~ I don't

think i've ever heard of it being used this way, any input would be welcomed. ~~~ Jim

I think I'l make a bolt on body as I have a spare maple neck hanging around but I'm also curious about the tone of pear it's incredibly nice to hand plane like mahogany but super fine grained like holly. As you might guess by my forum name I have been collecting fine wood for a loooong time and like my woods as much made into things as not. lol

"Pear has one of the finest of textures of the fruitwoods, and was often used in making instruments such as lutes, recorders and - because of its hardness - the jacks of harpsichords. In spite of its hardness - equal almost to that of boxwood - this piece is incredibly light in weight. Fine wood turnings such as these are a joy for me to make! "

that's an excerpt from a description of a pearwood turned bowl. sounds like it would make a fine guitar. if it's as hard as the description above it should have good sustain and a bright punch. keep us posted and take pics.

good luck

edited: here's a bit more info

Name Pear (Pyrus communis)

Type Hardwood.

Other Names Also known as peartree, pearwood, and common pear.

Sources Grows in North America, Europe, and parts of western and southeast Asia.

Appearance Typically straight grained with a tight, uniform texture. Pinkish brown heartwood and sapwood with little dilineation between them.

Physical Props Heavy, hard, and tough (difficult to split) with moderate strength, low stiffness, good dimensional stability, and low decay resistance.

Working Props Works well with tools in any direction due to uniformity of fibers. Exceptional turning, carving, and polishing properties. Accepts stains and finishes extremely well.

Uses Prized for fancy turnery such as tool handles, knife handles, umbrella handles, and bowls. Sliced into decorative veneers for cabinets, paneling, marquetry, and inlay. Other uses include rulers, engravings, printing blocks, and musical instruments.

Thanks UNC, I'll start the body this week. & post picts. along the way.

i do not think it would be bright at all...the low density and stiffness makes me think it would be rather dead...like basswood ...basswood is also fine grained

not to mention the trees are extremely small and not straight grained

we have alot of pear wood around here...

what i actually meant to say is that it will make a beautiful guitar and because of it's lack of density if you were to add a couple of paf humbuckers it'll make a great mellow sounding blues/jazz type of guitar. :D

what i actually meant to say is that it will make a beautiful guitar and because of it's lack of density if you were to add a couple of paf humbuckers it'll make a great mellow sounding blues/jazz type of guitar. :D

oh...that's what this means?

if it's as hard as the description above it should have good sustain and a bright punch.

:D