Anyone Use The Home Depot/lowes Plastic

At home depot and lowes they have a hard plastic face/brass mallet with about a 1" face. These look extremely close to the ones selling in the luthier catalogs. I do not know the weight of them but they are about $10 at lowes/home depot and you dont have to pay for shipping and NO waiting.

Has anyone ever used one of these for fret work?

Have any of you ever made your own fret mallet?

Backwoods :D

I've heard of someone using the same ones but from harbor freights, which would probably be even less money for the same mallet. I saw them there the other day, when buying a bunch of 6 inch c clamps for like $2.99. It seemed like a really good sale to me so I grabbed like 5 of them. They feel really heavy duty. I was pleased with there quality.

Maybe someone else knows more about the mallets, but I say go for it, they look to be the same exact thing and I'm sure they were designed for uses such as that , used for something that takes a dead blow shot to sink something, like a fret. Good Luck and I hope you get a better answer from someone that has tried the ones from HD or Lowes. Jason

I have not tried one of the Home Depot type hammers, but from what you say, it can't be all bad. I've used just a normal tack hammer to pound frets in so far and that's worked ok. Perhaps there's an advantage to using a proper hammer to tap frets in. I'm not sure what the advantage is, unless the frets are soft and a plasticy tipped hammer wouldn't risk putting a ding in one.

A professional acoustic guitar builder friend of mine swears by these Canadian made mallets made by "Cluthe". He's only EVER seen three, however, he owns two 8oz ones and I picked up a 16oz one at the flea market....I have yet to use mine for fretting, though.

i use that hammer.

You are talking about the one from Home Depot right? I know you've gotten items at harbor freights, have you seen these hammers there, do you know if they are the exact same ones as Home Depot, or close enough? It's always nice to be able to go into your local hardware store and pick up the item you need for cheaper than most website prices, not have to pay any shipping, and be able to return/exchange without paying more shipping and restocking fees! Jason

they are not the same.i use the home depot hammer