Best Acoustic For The Cash...

You're automatically going to be disappointed at a chain pawn shop like Cash America or similar. The best are the mom and pop places. Chain pawn shops are always overpriced. To give you an example:

One of my other hobbies is building up rifles off already manufactured actions. I was recently looking for a Remington 700 action, and found one in a local chain pawn shop. It was in decent used condition, albeit it was obvious it had been used in the field as a hunting rifle, yet decently taken care of. There were no optics, and I noticed that there was a crack in the stock where it was probably dropped. They wanted more than the rifle could be purchased new for. :D

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For $350, Seagull or Simon & Patrick (which are made by the same people and their necks aren't quite as big ... I loke logs but many don't). They may cost a hair more but they're worth it. I play one but I'll also recommend Yamahas.

You all are quite right about pawn shops ... they used to be pretty good places to go but not anymore. I could tell stories that'd make some of the younger players here weep but they've gone too far in the opposite direction. With ebay access they all know what the stuff is going for and they're not going to get a penny less.

A friend of mine went to a Mon and POp owned pawn shop recently and saw one of theose Epi bolt on Les Paul style guitars. His next stop was the music store down the street, who were selling the exact same guitar for the exact same price.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't get used though.

You're automatically going to be disappointed at a chain pawn shop like Cash America or similar.  The best are the mom and pop places.  Chain pawn shops are always overpriced.

Not necessarily. I got this Ibanez 540R at a chain pawnshop called COMPTANT.COM.

540r_b.jpg

I got it for $300CDN (around $240 US) and it even has a backstop in the trem cavity. The backstop alone can go for more on eBay than the price the whole guitar cost me.

So bargains can still be found with a little luck.

You're automatically going to be disappointed at a chain pawn shop like Cash America or similar.  The best are the mom and pop places.  Chain pawn shops are always overpriced.

Not necessarily. I got this Ibanez 540R at a chain pawnshop called COMPTANT.COM.

540r_b.jpg

I got it for $300CDN (around $240 US) and it even has a backstop in the trem cavity. The backstop alone can go for more on eBay than the price the whole guitar cost me.

So bargains can still be found with a little luck.

I wish I was there at least when the richmond trading post was closing. He had above the door a gun guitar, I think made by Hondo. I still think the one Peter Tosh had was much better.

-Jamie

A lot of people overlook the old classified-ad section of the newspaper. Hit one fast with cash in hand if you want a bargain. OR, watch the same ad daily and see if the ad is withdrawn before the SOLD! sign comes out. Wait a week and call with an offer of about 1/2 what they were asking, should they still have it. Takes most folks that long to figure out they were asking too much.

Good point Doc. Someone on PG, I forget who, bought a Peavey Wolfgang (before EVH left) for about 600 bucks through a classified ad, no marks on it, and brand new it was well over 1000.

-Jamie

Guest gsrguitars
get a bc rich eagle acoustic or a thinline mockingbird :D

Right, because their guitars just ooze quality! :D

Y'know, I had a BC Rich Eagle acoustic for a while - For the price I thought it was a bargain! (it was new, I paid near the RRP at the time).

Cheers,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

OK here we go.....

Being the guy that started this thread I though I would let you know the outcome....

I went to the pawn shops around a saw nothing but abused guitars.. some that made me sad..... but that another thread....

So I wen to back to the guitar center and played every guiter from $200 to $550- dollars...

Here's my outcome... and in no way am I a "acoustic guitar PRO....

1. martins DX1 and dxk2: (pruce or koa to and "strange" compound plastic back and sides... nice guitar about $450 and loud.. tons of bass.. but the construction is a bit weird and the clarity was a bit more muddy that I wanted to hear...

2. taylor baby: nice sounding and loud guitar but the intonation was a bit off on 2 of them ( I have been playing for 15 yeas so I am not BS-ing you taylor fans...

3. epiphone various models including masterbuilt: Not a good guitar. Intonation problems and the tuning machines and nut /sadle are cheap and "notchy" ( yah know stick while tuning)

4. various takamine g-series guitars: suprisingly clear and loud.. but a bit plastic-y even the "nofinish-natural models" I would call their tone ovation-esque...

5: yamaha: Nice sounding for the price but all seemes laminate tops ( in my range anyway) and were not loud enough or had "clear boomy bottom..."

6 HERE'S the one I bought....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<DRUM ROLL PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ibanez artwood series....

I have NEVER liked Ibanez guitars and have always played strats and les pauls...

...but the solid wood top, intonation, playability, clarity and price were the ticket////

Soooo I played a few and picked aout a model ... the I bought one on ebay for 200.00 (including a hardshell case...)

I DO feel bad for "using " the guitar center.........

At least I'm not one of those punks that grab a PRS and bash it against a mesa stack while turning around "wishing" I could play...

Then bragging about how my mommy is going to get me one for graduation....

Once again that's another thread... kitarist.gif kitarist.gif

Did you get it yet? I ask, because there is variability in guitars, especially in the lower price ranges and especially on acoustics.

My $800 Breedlove has been raising its own action in the year that I've had it. It's still not too bad, but I'm about as low as I can go on the saddle and it's still at 7/64". They start with tall saddles, so I've probaby removed 1/8". I just went to a store where they had these, and they're all over the place. The one with the best action in that store was the CHEAPER model, the AC25M. The AC25R and AC25R Plus were both higher. If I were buying another one today, I'd have chosen the cheaper on for that reason. I suspect the same is true of other makes.

Any more, I will only buy acoustics that I can actually play.

I hope the one you get is as good or even better in sound & feel than the one you played.

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I think the lesson to be learned from all this is that at $350 you are mostly looking at Asian made guitars. There is nothing wrong with these guitars, it is just that they have a huge range withing the same manufacturer/model.

$300 Korean or Chineese guitars can be SPECTACULAR values. They can also be utterly unplayable even within the same models. You just have to play them until you find THE ONE. Then buy it! Don't think that you will be able to find one of the same model that plays just as well elsewhere.

My $.02

I'd seriously go for a second-hand acoustic.

If it has been taken care of, all the hard work to soften it up and smooth out the sound should be done.

Also your money will be worth more. If you know enough inspect it carefully before you buy, or take it to a tech.....just my 2-bob.

I'm partial to old US-made Ovations, the deep-bowl roundback style with the conventional single large soundhole. They either have 2-piece Mahogany necks or the 5-piece neck on the top of the line ones and all come with German Schaller tuners and the string-thru bridge that eliminates those annoying bridge pins. Mine will stay in tune for months at a time. I love mine, it's extremely loud and sounds much more open and full than those small thin Ovations that are loved/hated nowadays. I find the big Ovations are still more bright and clear sounding than most inexpensive wood accoustics, which often sound flat and dull cardboard with strings (I love the larger Taylors, Martins, Gibson, and Guild's, those are great).

You can pick up a good Ovation Balladeer with a fitted hard case in the $200-$400 range. You can pick them up under $200 if you look hard enough

I had an Ovation Legend I bought new in 83. One of the best sounding acoustics I've ever heard. Long story, but after 15 years I had to let it go. :D

Now I have an Ibanez AEF30TBK that I got on closeout (no built-in tuner) a year ago. It's not a Martin or a Taylor or even my old Ovation, but it's pretty nice. And not at all expensive.