i have just realized from searching around this forum and the internet that there are some serious gaps in where to buy totally custom supplies.

i am searching,for example,for a 24 fret flamed maple fingerboard preslotted,preradiused at 12",and with the slots at .023

but all i can find is stewmac,which only has plain maple,and warmoth,which only has a 10" radius,and still no flame.and then there is lmii,which offer no maple at all.

so...i was thinking,how about everyone post all of the supply shops that you guys use...especially the off the wall ones,and i will pin it when it starts to get enough info to be useful...

and especially if you know where to get that fingerboard...

(yes i could slot and radius my own...but i HATE slotting...makes my eyes cross)

i will start with some of the more obvious ones i know.

for truly custom truss rod covers,pickup rings,and such

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/

great source for emg pickups,as well as other misc. items

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant2/...ode=eguitarstop

awesome wood,though they are not friendly...but the wood is worth it

http://gilmerwood.com/

this guy is a member,and though i have not bought from him,his work appears to be quality as all hell....if i needed a set neck or neck through and did not want to build it,i would order from him

http://www.soulmateguitars.com/Neck%20Gallery.htm

premade jackson style bodies and necks

http://www.guitarshopsupply.net/index.php?cPath=35

and of course...brians site,which is great for saving money on tuners,bridges,etc..

http://universaljems.com/

Try wwwinternationalluthiers.com

I believe they will do some custom work but I do not know for sure. but they do have some OK hardware. you will need to look through the whole site to see everything.

Dont forget allparts.com

Backwoods :D

Wes, this option might offend you but it's worth a shot. Would you consider buying from a non-huge (ie small) custom luthier that is a member of the forum? Bet you can find one.

Wes, this option might offend you but it's worth a shot. Would you consider buying from a non-huge (ie small) custom luthier that is a member of the forum? Bet you can find one.

why would that offend me?i just want to be sure it is accurate.

but yeah,i am already talking with someone about it.

I got a beautifully flamed maple board as you described from Stew Mac by accident. I just ordered maple and POW! There it was, killer flame. It's installed already otherwise I'd give it to you. What I'm trying to say is that you might be able to ask them (and other suppliers) to find you some flame.

BTW I can't stand slotting either. I'll do it if I have to add a couple frets to the end of a board or something, but it would take a lot for me to slot a whole board anymore.

Here's a guy selling strings and accessories at great prices plus he charges actual shipping costs, which is a rarity.

http://www.suncreekmusic.com/

http://www.suncreekmusic.com/shipping.php

BTW I can't stand slotting either. I'll do it if I have to add a couple frets to the end of a board or something, but it would take a lot for me to slot a whole board anymore.

yeah i have slotted three of them...they turned out great...but i don't need that much tension in my life. :D

i can barely stand fretting the board..but i just make myself do it,because i have to..and the last one turned out so well...i was very proud

http://www.wood-veneers.com/

okay..i called these guys just now to order some dyed veneer(black costello),which they had in .8 mm thickness at 103" by 8.75"...at about $25 a sheet...

so anyway,they have a wide selection online,and when i called them,my experience was very,very pleasant and the guy was sharp and helpful with no attitude whatsoever...much better than the reception i got from gilmer when i bought some bubinga from them.

but to be fair,gilmer shipped very rapidly and the guy(marc) selected some very nice wood for me and it was well prepped and packaged...i just didn't expect them to be so condescending...

www.customshopparts.com

I got these pickups from them. They sound insanely good. For 50 bucks for a set of PAFs, and the quality, its the best. Check out the PAFs. The X Ray one is my favorite, but he did not have the greens one yet for my green LP, only red. That site is awsome and delivery was quick from i think Florida to LA in 3 days. Custom pickup that cheap and that good quality, im still loving the site.

Wes, I gotta through this out there. Marc may come across that way, but he is a pretty good guy. They are pretty busy down at Gilmer. They do hold the pieces they sell to very high standards and really have the knowledge to know what makes for a high quality piece. If you don't know what you want they may not be a good place to bounce ideas. I would bet Marc would not take it very well if you grilled him about a piece of material either (that is to say, ask questions to find out if it is worthy of being instrument grade). However, if I asked him for a 3" thick split block of Sitka Spruce for sound boards and told him it had to be of the highest grade. I would feel absolutely confident he would select a better piece than if I looked for it myself. This is just my opinion based on my dealings with them (for whatever its worth).

Hey can't forget Andy-Shell!. Great folks to deal with and have always recieved great material more than fair pricing.

Peace, Rich

Wes, I gotta through this out there. Marc may come across that way, but he is a pretty good guy. They are pretty busy down at Gilmer. They do hold the pieces they sell to very high standards and really have the knowledge to know what makes for a high quality piece. If you don't know what you want they may not be a good place to bounce ideas. I would bet Marc would not take it very well if you grilled him about a piece of material either (that is to say, ask questions to find out if it is worthy of being instrument grade). However, if I asked him for a 3" thick split block of Sitka Spruce for sound boards and told him it had to be of the highest grade. I would feel absolutely confident he would select a better piece than if I looked for it myself. This is just my opinion based on my dealings with them (for whatever its worth).

well,like i said..the wood is worth it.what he sent me is absolutely stunning...but sometimes we all just need a little help from the guy who actually knows the wood he has in stock...

i think i need to tell a guy exactly what i am doing with the wood,so he can evaluate what i need and understand where i am going with it...he seems to think all he needs to hear is "bubinga,17" by 25""

and then he acted like i must be silly for wanting a piece that big...but if he would give me a chance to tell him what i was building(a vee),then maybe he would know of a really good piece that would work with that shape with less waste...

but the venner guy i highly reccomend(dave at wood-veneers.com)..he is what i expect a wood salesman should be.

but again..gilmer's wood is really fantastic..i would not hesitate to use them again...

Wes, I can almost hear the conversation, and feel your frustration. I took him the same way at first, and believe me I got no time to take that from anyone. After breaking getting past that impression. I talked about different tone woods that most guys laugh at me for mentioning because they have never heard of them being used (but sound good to me), and he felt similar about a lot of them. He took the time to go through some of the logs that were still drying and show me tips on cutting to get the optimal grain arrangements for various parts. It is a personality thing for sure, and some of it is time and $$$. I sell some wood, and I have the luxury of not having to worry about making a living doing it. Those guys that do it as a real business have to make money or go under. I can make a dime per. hour for my time chatting and prepairing, and as long as it is fun I am cool with it.

Please don't take my comments wrong. I don't disagree with you. I guess I am just trying to pass on what I know about the guy. None of us need heartburn that makes building less fun.

Peace, Rich

Oh man! Rich thats a great link for sheel/inlays. I just spent almost an hour going through the whole site, great looking and 100%real stuff with a great variety of colors, shapes and sizes. And the shipping is cheap! Thank you much I will definately be using them for my inlay needs. I saw some nice block inlays with the "V" down the middle and it was mop with figured mop for the V. Something that I might use for that cocobolo fretboard, what do you think? Again great inlay link, I needed one, I was having a hard time finding somewhere I could get a good variety so I could decide what would be best for me. All the links here on this page are great, thanks everyone for sharing, I really appreciate it all of you. Later. Jason

Yes, Andy DePaule's selection is top-notch. :D When I was talking to him, I mentioned wanting some blanks so that I could dick around and practice. Instead of trying to sell me the larger (and more expensive ones) he said, "You can do almost anything using the smaller blanks. They're not TOO small to be used."

I took the small ones, and then took the large ones, too, even though he seemed almost reluctant to take money from a guy who was just going to "dick around with" them! :D He didn't argue too hard, though-- business is business. B)

Greg