Acrylic Templates..

westhemann

whew...these things are tough to sand down....anyone else ever make their own?

What are you using to sand them, I was going to make some, but they just seemed too hard to sand, then I saw the robosander. So I might buy one when my DPBC comes through.

Wes, when I make the acrylic templates, I cut them with a scroll saw, then use a file to get it flat, but I realy try to stay as true to the line as I can. I found out that it is much more easier to make the template out of 1/2" MDF, and then placing a 1/4" plexiglass or acarylic on top and routing it out.

Wes, when I make the acrylic templates, I cut them with a scroll saw, then use a file to get it flat, but I realy try to stay as true to the line as I can.  I found out that it is much more easier to make the template out of 1/2" MDF, and then placing a 1/4" plexiglass or acarylic on top and routing it out.

yeah i think i will do that with all my others

I'm just kinda thinking out loud. Have unlimited access to a decent sized milling machine...

Then you're set. I made mine with MDF on a drill press with a cross slide. Basically a makeshift mill and drill. You can get straight lines without sanding or filing.

Just FYI for anyone trying the drill press idea try not to cut sideways untill its just a little bit left. Drill presses dont generally have the bearings to take a side load. Its really hard on your press.

• 2 weeks later...
whew...these things are tough to sand down....anyone else ever make their own?

what thickness are you using? my 3/16 stuff is usualy fine, granted most of what i do is just drill a whole then make my template on the router with a flush trim bit, and some straight edges taped to the top. I try to make as many of the round parts with frostner bits. In the rare event i end up having to sand part of the template, my oscilating drum works fine, sands almost the same as maple. Maybe it was the grit you where using? Was it some kind of special acrylic??

MDF is good material for most templates, but acrylic templates do allow you to see through the material to the wood underneath. Some people may think thats not an essential requirement and for most people I would say they were right, but I like the idea of seeing the material im working on through the template. You can get away with 5-6mm acrylic.

As for sanding acrylic, do you have a belt sander wes? surely that would be quicker