Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmrentis

Starsky And Hutch

I saw Starsky and Hutch the movie with Ben Stiller the other day on HBO and in the movie Hutch(I think) plays an acoustic guitar for some babes. Whats up with his acoustic, it looks like an acoustic semi neck through with an electrics neck, like a strat neck! The neck goes all the way down to the top of the sound hole I believe, I saw it only very shortly so I could be off a little but I'm pretty sure thats what it was. I have never seen anything similar to this, but I admit I have had only very little exposure to different acoustics, even though I own an acoustic. So if anyone knows the deal with this guitar let me know about it. I wouldn't mind building something similar to that one, it's pretty cool, even though it looks strange at first. Thanks for the help ! Jason

:D

did it have a strat or tele body? fender makes "stratocoustics" and "telecoustics." they have strat and tele necks w/ fiverglass backs and tops. I owned a black stratocoustic once. There's a reason I don't own it any more; they sound just plain horrible.

If I remember correctly, it was just a god-awful Fender acoustic (cheapie, lucky to have genuine wood top) with a strat-style 6-inline headstock. They made a few of those in their day, too. Horrible.

Greg

If I remember correctly, it was just a god-awful Fender acoustic (cheapie, lucky to have genuine wood top) with a strat-style 6-inline headstock.  They made a few of those in their day, too.  Horrible.

Greg

Like this?

Newporter.jpg

newporter-headstock.jpg

This is my 92' Reissue Newporter. Cheapie dosent seem to come to mind when playing it? All mahogany with a cedar top. Piezo and a soundhole mic. Its got a VERY mello tone.

Yes it was the same as that exactly, beside being a little newer. It just seems kind of cool to me, I own an electric and a nice acoustic and that is like a solid mix, it would be more for the fun of making it and having something different. And I'm sure like you said, with proper tonewoods and hardware it could sound good. Just because the neck is different doesn't mean it will sound poor, I understand that there were probably quite a few made that were junk, with poor wood and just crappy work. But I think one day I would like to build myself one just for fun! I honestly like them, why? I don't know, also I would do a different headstock.

Thanks everyone for letting me know your experiences with them. And thank you Guitar Guy for pulling out a pic for me, maybe one day when I start one you could give me some more detailed info on the construction of it. I really like your guitar! Nice, different and nice! Jason

Cool, I didn't realize that it was made with decent woods. Definitely better to hear the opinion of someone who has actually played one. :D

Sure seems cheap-tastic to use string trees and a Stratomacaster headstock, though. Looks naff to me, but that's JUST me. :D

Something somewhere didn't latch on with the public-- perhaps the "mellow" tone was perceived as lack of presence and clarity by others; or, like me, they just didn't like the Strat-style headstock. Now, the public's taste can't ever be a reflection of an item's quality (if it was, Titanic and Star Wars would be the ultimate works of cinematic taste and genius), but I can say that I'm not surprised it didn't catch on.

Greg

If you're saying Star Wars is the Fender Newporter of movies them's fightin' words! :D

Those were all just Corts with the strato headstock. Cort made them in Korea, and that means most of them are lam tops. All the ones I've seen were lam tops, maybe there's a solid one in there somewhere. It was just a way to capitalize on the Fender head, during a time when rockers were adding Ovation-esque acoustic parts to their power balads.

BTW Guitarguy that looks like the typical Mahogany laminate top I've seen on those. It was a basic model, also given away by the "covered" tuners. I'm sure it's a nice guitar, and cheapie probably isn't the right word for it, but it was from the lower end of the line.

If you're saying Star Wars is the Fender Newporter of movies them's fightin' words! :D

Those were all just Corts with the strato headstock. Cort made them in Korea, and that means most of them are lam tops. All the ones I've seen were lam tops, maybe there's a solid one in there somewhere. It was just a way to capitalize on the Fender head, during a time when rockers were adding Ovation-esque acoustic parts to their power balads.

BTW Guitarguy that looks like the typical Mahogany laminate top I've seen on those. It was a basic model, also given away by the "covered" tuners. I'm sure it's a nice guitar, and cheapie probably isn't the right word for it, but it was from the lower end of the line.

You could be right about the top. The reason i say cedar is becuse I cant see any of the laminate around the soundhole. And the thing just reaks of cedar inside. (But that could be caused by the case which smells of it too). Its just an assumption, and you know what they say about those.

Regardless I really like the guitar. Cheap or not I think its great.