Sg Custom

Hi everyone!

This is my first guitar I'm building from France.

apres5kr.th.jpg sgcustom081nz.th.jpg sgcustom132de.th.jpg sgcustom067fp.th.jpg

The Idea was to make a Zakk Wylde style SG with an altered body.

The body itself is mahogany, the neck is hard rock maple, the fretboard is ebony with jumbo frets, the headstock is tinted flame maple inlaid as a splitted diamong.

The bridge is a wilkinson wrap around seated on a makassar ebony piece. Tuners are Grover replicas. The nut is a graphtech one. Pickups are cheapos from ebay.

The pinup is a sticker.

There are 3 straplocks à la Tom Anderson. What you see between the pickups is the end of the neck tenon which extends under the bridge pickup.

Electronics are 1 volume, 1 tone and 3 pos switch. The neck is HUGE, the hugest I've ever played, I might shave it one day.

There are 26 frets, the last 4 are scalloped.

The paint has been done with car paint.

The neck joint has been shaped to look like a thunderbolt, in reverence to AC / DC.

That's all I believe!

Regards.

Fred

Nice lookin' player. What material have you got in mind for a control cavity cover plate? When you are doing such a long fret guitar its tough to workout the pickup spacing / neck joint for the maximum benefit. Do you get a distinct tonal range between pups? I recently completed a 24 fret SG style and allowed for more "in between" room, ie. bridge further back, more high fret access and flat fingerboard end, and managed to maintain standard pickup spacing.

As a control cavity plate I'm working on bwb plastic. But the pattern of the cavity is not that easy to reproduce and I'm not very comfy with the router on that material. I might as well get some more ebony to carve it out.

At first I didn't want 26 frets but I wanted to have both pickups close to the bridge so that left some space for the fretboard and I went for it!

Yes there is a tonal distinction between both pickups and the combination of both pickups is not as muddy as I used to hear on dual humbuckers guitars.

Fred

HI de free, the world is small...

As I told you before, your SG is beautiful but I find the edge of the head a little bit too smooth.

For the control cavity plate, I think a pickguard material from stewmac and a "scie sauteuse" (literraly "jumping saw", but I don't think it's the right word) will do it.