Vintage 1979 Westbury Standard (walnut Finish)

ByronBlack

Hi Guy's

I have for a sale a rare gem of a guitar. An original 1979 Westbury Walnut Standard. Featuring DiMarzio Paf pup in the neck, and a DiMarzio Super Distortion II in the bridge (Both original and untouched).

The guitar has a lovely deep walnut finish, rosewood fingerboard, solid mahogany body, and tune-o-matic bridge.

This guitar is in pretty good shape, could use a pro-setup but is generally clean and sounds awesome. These guitars are very rare now and can usually only be found in second-hand shops or dirty lofts.

If anyone is interested, i'll post some pics. I'm looking for a fair and realistic price, and i'm happy to post anywhere in mainland europe and the USA.

:D

After talking about this gutiar with a few vintage collectors, I think i'm going to keep it and restore it as it could be worth quite a bit in the future, certainly a lot more than I wanted for it recently.

I plugged it into a new Vox Valvetronix amp today and was blown away about it's 'ballsyness' the original dimarzio's have a really nice tone to them.

restore it as it could be worth quite a bit in the future, certainly a lot more than I wanted for it recently.

I don't want to wee on your parade but i doubt very much whether prices on Westbury's will ever go into hyper drive and i think £250's pretty well top buck for a Deluxe and IMHO refinishing it will devalue it rather than revalue it.

Jem :D

As for re-finishing it, I was going to restore with the same finish, just take out some of the deeper scratches and dents, surely thats no different to restoring a finish on an old beat up piece of furniture? Would it really devalue it?

Yes. Vintage collectors like a nice unscathed piece of wood but scratches and wear and tear are acceptable....refinish is not and devalues the piece, usually a lot.

I think the 250 was more than a generous offer. From what I've seen of these they get around $250 USD over here which is a lot less than your pounds or Euros or whatever you guys use to buy stuff today (plus I don't have one of those cool looking "L" shaped thingy's on my computer :D )

As for re-finishing it, I was going to restore with the same finish, just take out some of the deeper scratches and dents, surely thats no different to restoring a finish on an old beat up piece of furniture? Would it really devalue it?

Yes. Vintage collectors like a nice unscathed piece of wood but scratches and wear and tear are acceptable....refinish is not and devalues the piece, usually a lot.

I think the 250 was more than a generous offer. From what I've seen of these they get around $250 USD over here which is a lot less than your pounds or Euros or whatever you guys use to buy stuff today (plus I don't have one of those cool looking "L" shaped thingy's on my computer :D )

Thanks for the info guy's. I think i'll just clean it up, re-fret and setup and leave it that. :-)