All Right I've Decided

alright after much thought in the subject i decided that i will go with the hipshot 8 string bridge and i will still do fanned frets just this will make things alot easier. so how wide will the neck be if my string spacing is 2.962" i do beleive so could some one help me or jeremy form lgm help me with figuring out how wide the neck will be at the 24th fret and at the nut?.. and i might do fanned frets....IDONT KNOW YET!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude.. no offense, but if you can't figure out neck width at the 24th fret you'd better think twice about doing fanned frets. Fanned Frets are a bear to implement. Not impossible but you'll have to calculate much more complicated dimensions than neck width to pull it off successfully.

Not to mention.. where do you measure the 24th fret at on an FF board.. at the center? or the bass side or treble side? All three will yield different measurements. If you want an 8 string FF board i'd contact novax and see what he'd charge to make it.

There are several threads in and around here on calculating neck width. You should be able to dig them up pretty quick..

hipshot 8 string bridge. says it all.

an eight string GUITAR not a bass

AND YES I KNOW THE 24TH FRET I JUST NEED TO KNOWTHE NUT AND ON MY PREVIOUS THREAD ABOUT 8 STRINGS YOU GUYS SAID YOU HELP WHEN I GOT MY BRIDGE THE WIDTH OF THE NECK WILL BE -AT THE 24TH FRET-3 1/8 WITH THE APROPRAITE EXTRA AND IF YOUR NOT GONNA HELPME AND JUST POINT OUT HOW STUPID MY THREAD IS DO NOT COMMENT, THANKS

AND I MEAN THE ABOUT THE 24TH FRET NOT AS THE ACCUALLY 24TH FRET BUT WHERE THE NECK STOPS

AND STOP WITH THE STUPID REPLIES GIVING ME NOTHING! :D

Edited by malebolgia

ohhh and i just did a search for the so called formula about calculating neck width and couldnt find a thing so if you happen to have a link to it or the formula it would help, yeah...

Well if would have just done that search in the beginning like you should have, you wouldn't have gotten dumb responses. If you want help you need to do your heomwork first, and if there is nothing then ask, but asking and getting pissed that everyone doesn't stop what they are doing to do your homework and research is a bad idea.

Also I'm pretty sure there is no way to use a normal bridge with ffs. FF require individual saddles to compensate for the scales of each string, so I hope you are planning on using some individual saddles, not a fixed bridge. Basically, you are going to have to use individual saddles in order to do the FF. At least thats what I thought. :D

ohhh and i just did a search for the so called formula about calculating neck width and couldnt find a thing so if you happen to have a link to it or the formula it would help, yeah...

Well if would have just done that search in the beginning like you should have, you wouldn't have gotten dumb responses. If you want help you need to do your heomwork first, and if there is nothing then ask, but asking and getting pissed that everyone doesn't stop what they are doing to do your homework and research is a bad idea.

Also I'm pretty sure there is no way to use a normal bridge with ffs. FF require individual saddles to compensate for the scales of each string, so I hope you are planning on using some individual saddles, not a fixed bridge. Basically, you are going to have to use individual saddles in order to do the FF. At least thats what I thought. :D

wut if the scales are only 1 -2 inches in difference? and i'm not even going to say a word on my behavior.

It would have to be a very small difference to be able to tilt a bridge and get away with it probably much less than an inch,you also will never be able to adjust the intonation because the saddles will be angled off to the side instead of up and down, so that would throw your string spacing off. So basically I don't think it will work and plus if you were going to go so small it wouldn't be worth the whole headache of FF in the first place you wouldn't even be able to notice them, it would just look like a bad fret job. JMO

Malebolgia - you really will have to use seperate saddles...exactly as JMO says.

Now I'm sure people here do not know of the top of their heads what the measurements are yu require...and I suspect like most here I would end up getting some paper out - drawing it out and take my measurements from there..

You have to factor in the pickups pole piece spacing (clue)..

Your nut width can be anything YOU want it to be - you have already given your string spacing in your first post..take it from there...and use Mr Churchyards advice...

Go, get some paper, a ruler draw it out..that's what I would do..now if you can't be bothered to do that for yourself...then please have the respect for others here in the help they are offering..instead of just being rude...and lazy!!

And btw - the link that Mr Churchyard gave was exactly what you need..

You are coming across here rather rude and biting the hands that you hope to feed you..not exactly condusive is it..

Chill out dude...get a pencil and paper and draw it out..

It would have to be a very small difference to be able to tilt a bridge and get away with it probably much less than an inch,you also will never  be able to adjust the intonation because the saddles will be angled off to the side instead of up and down, so that would throw your string spacing off. So basically I don't think it will work and plus if you were going to go so small it wouldn't be worth the whole headache of FF in the first place you wouldn't even be able to notice them, it would just look like a bad fret job. JMO

k, thanks for your opion!

i agree with jmrentis, trying to angle a standard bridge to the point of needing to fan the frets would be very problematic and

if you can't figure out neck width at the 24th fret you'd better think twice about doing fanned frets.

know any trig?

Dude, get your hands on a geometry textbook and photocopy the relevant pages on sine, cosine and tangent calculations. Laminate them, hang them in your garage, and get a mini-size to carry in your wallet. Or just memorize them.

THEN and only then, draw out your entire guitar plan from start to finish; bridge height, neck angle, scale, the whole works. You must get past this trigonometry thing before you buy any parts or cut any wood.

nut width in this case doesn't really count. The nut is longer than the width of the neck since it too is angled. Basically in a FFF system you just figure out how long the neck should be for the longest scale in your formula and go from there. You end up with a lot of wasted space.

I dont' think the angled bridge will work as the more you angle it the tighter your string spacing will be and you don't want that. Individual saddles is the only way I know of. Dingwall's use 1 piece bridges but hipshot makes them specifically for sheldon and they aren't just regular bridges installed at an angle.

This is not an easy project.

Ya It Sound's Like A Real Pain In the Ass With this Whole faned Fret's Thing! :D

malebolgia man I think You Should Make This 8-string But You need To scale It down Make It simple and Easy on your Self, A Faned Fret Neck Is A Big job And By the Sound's Of it This Is Your First full guitar Build And Your Seting your self And Your Build To fail

Hear's Some 8-string Related Links Take A Look There Is A Ton of Info On This All over the Forum

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...743&hl=8-string

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...440&hl=8-string

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...690&hl=8-string

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=4155&hl=

faned fret's

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...topic=10270&hl=

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=6097&hl=

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=5422&hl=

There's More Just Do A Search :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

you would have to make the nut yourself.i think you may want to stay away from the fanned frets right now...until you really research into the whole fanned fret system.nobody here that i know of has done one,so i doubt anyone is going to have the info you need.

some of us could easily work it out...if it was MY project i would have a complete plan with all the kinks worked out within a week(not on paper..i only keep dimensions on paper,the actual 3d plan is in my head)

but i,and i doubt any others as well,am not willing to do all of that work just so that you don't have to.face the facts...if it was a project similar to one we were doing ourselves,i am sure you could get your answers.but when you are trying cutting edge building,you have to do the ground breaking yourself.

in your case the ground has already been broken by novax...study up.

malebolgia, pull your head in.

Do the REQUIRED work, and spend ten minutes with a pencil and paper. Then you wont have to get all shitty because we wont do it for you.

+1

I noticed the attitude too.

THIS IS GUITAR BUILD FORUM SO YOU GUYS SHOULD HELP ME. NOW!!!!......

What's up with that????