Easy Neck Pocket Angles?

verhoevenc

I dont know, but if you plan carfully (and i mean check about 20000000 times, then once more just to be sure) you could cut the angle into the neck itself. I dont know if thats a wise way of doing it but i dont see any reason my it shouldnt work. It would be tough to pull off but if you really dont want to build a jig then it seems like a good alternative to me.

I personaly would just build the jig, make it with knock down fittings so you can build it, use it, take it apart and find a use for the wood easly. It will save alot of head aches.

I saw that most of you create jigs to do your neck pockets to get the angles. But what if you don't plan to make enough guitars to justify building a jig? any other way to do these angled pockets?

Chris

You could always build a simple ramp jig and angle the heel of the neck.

Neil

I know it wont be that hard, it just seems a bit, actually i dont know how to put this, er, odd to me. For all the planning of a jig, its about the same planing to cut the angle in the neck, but you never know, you might really enjoy building guitars and you might want too build another. But its really all up to you, its YOUR guitar, you do it your way. Heres a sujestion, why not just resess your bridge? that iliminates the need for an angle.

No, why would it. Thats the sort of things you plan, so it doesnt hapen,

so you're saying that if I route a straight pocket, and put a straight (unangled) neck in, it will look the same as if I would put an angled neck in it?

Wouldn't that be kinda odd? whenever something isnt completely flush it leaves a gap, but it wont in this case?

Heh, I am in the planning process and this is one thing I was looking into :D

jP

I followed the principle of Myka's neck jig and made a makeshift one that could be taken apart...

You can see it in this pic...took 5 minutes to put together, but it cut the neck pocket at the exact angle of the body..allowing me to make the tenon on the neck..straight...

100_1410.jpg

Here's another pic...

side view

..and here is the pocket routed out..

Routed Out

I'm making a a version of Myka's jig as a keeper...

No, your thinkin as if it would be a non angled neck, just tilted back. that would leave a gap, bet when you make your own you will be able to design it so it does. dont think of it as angling the heel, more of angling the fretboard, instead of having it parralel to the body, its tilted down 3 or whatever degree.

ok I think where talking about two different things here :D What I meant was on top, looking at the the joint from the top of the body, between the body and neck there wouldnt be a small gap?

angle.gif

I think you're right balooka, you would need to put a plumb cut on the end of the neck for a perfect fit. Hadn't really considered that, never having put an angle on my necks, good point!! Of course Myka's jig covers that as ijc mentioned. :D

Nate Robinson

No, your thinkin as if it would be a non angled neck, just tilted back. that would leave a gap, bet when you make your own you will be able to design it so it does. dont think of it as angling the heel, more of angling the fretboard, instead of having it parralel to the body, its tilted down 3 or whatever degree.

ok I think where talking about two different things here :D What I meant was on top, looking at the the joint from the top of the body, between the body and neck there wouldnt be a small gap?

angle.gif

want to know how to fix that?

after you angle the bottom of the tenon,run it through a jointer using your freshly angled edge as a reference on the 90 degree fence.

or you could just mark it out and sand it

My neck angle 'jig' is so mind-wrenchingly easy it's almost painful to even talk about it.

I take a piece of wood the same size and shape as the neck pocket, some 60 grit sandpaper, and just sand the angle in by hand. Takes maybe 10 minutes and costs absolutely nothing.

20 minutes with Purpleheart tho. :D (I hate that damn wood, but love the tone).

That stupid piece of scrap wood doubles as my hard backer block too for sanding.

I took my Stew-Mac neck router template, traced the shape onto a piece of wood, cut it out, and there it was, and I still use the same damn piece of wood 10 years later, go figure, hehehe...

I keep it light, I keep it simple, I get the j.o.b. done.

At least the jobs I want to do, I find a cheap, simple way almost every time.

But I am an anti- big/fancy-tool guy. :D

So are there pros and cons with both techniques? Is shaping the heel more common than angling (?) the pocket?

Someone once told me that if you shape the heel, the guitar would be more versatile since you could exchange necks easy and alter the angly doing so... I (IMHO) think thats crap, cause adjusting the angle for another bridge would also mean modding the body (in most cases).

I'm here to learn :D

If you’re contouring the top there is another way. Plane down the top in the required angle. Cut a square out of a piece of MDF or plexi and use the new surface to mount the simple jig. Then rout the recess. No need to angle the neck or the neck pocket anywere