Guitar Of The Month For September

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very hard this GOTM. I like all instruments!!! I like so much the Perry's top, but after 9 months and that great polishing job, I gave my vote to Cud. It was an hard choice!!!

Cheers everyone!!! :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe at this point to concede victory to Phil. It's well deserved. In fact, I voted for your bass as well. I'll see you all in a future GOTM.

PS

Thanks to all of you who voted for my guitar and also for all the great compliments.

Oh and Drak, you're most welcome!

Dave Frattaroli

Chalk up another vote for Phil...

Excellent line-up this month as always, only more so :D

I see no reason to come up with a comment of my own when Skibum has said it all and said it so well (in Phil's thread):

This is, without doubt, the coolest project (and most beautiful!) ProjectGuitar.com has seen in a long, long while, and perhaps ever. The choice of woods is perfect, the body shape is perfect, the pickup covers are a FANTASTIC touch, the fretboard worked well; this project is ambitious, without being overly complicated. You've managed to combine an excellent sense of design with a beautifully uderstated design. Congrats.

Phil's got some design elements that I couldn't ignore. It really shows a lot of thought and care went in at every stage. What stinks is most of the others had that too this month. So I really did want to vote for others, too. There is no criteria here, which is the beauty and curse of the voting process. But for me, my criteria is probably most like wes'. I'm looking for artistic design, (which Godin nailed, too) and that doesn't mean I'm anti-tele/strat/soloist because artistry can be what you do WITHIN those designs. I'm looking for implementation/craftsmanship (most of you nailed that, too) and least important is what I like personally. I'm sort of anti-cliche, so saying "here's a tele, but with fancy wood" probably isn't enough for me vs. an original build like the Crucible, Godin's piece, Phil's bass, or even the Egress.

Perry, I guess my only apprehension for you is that you've won twice already, it's your main job, and we all know you're a fantastic builder. So unfortunately you're going to really have to wow me before I'll support a third win. Your top finish is amazing, but it's still "just" a carved top soloist. Plus I feel someone at your level should make that neck transition a little sexier, and perhaps flow it into the cutaways more smoothly. But between that and your green one last month, you've convinced me to put zebra pups in one of my RG's. So you can take credit for that. :D

Godin amazes me. At your age I keep trying to figure out who's helping you and how much they're doing, because I'm in disbelief. I was 17 before I was building with curves like that.

The Crucible would've gotten my vote if the shape was a little more flowing. I like the cutaways to flow into eachother, and to have a bit of symmetry. The Crucible, not unlike the Schecter S-1 has what I've termed a "dog leg right" in that it throws your eye to the right in the cutaway section. That's a personal thing and is no reflection on the guitar. It could have just as easily been a tie between that and the bass.

Way to go Phil!

Wow, this is an amzing show this month! As I looked through all the builds I saw some great looking guitars and some excellent design ideas. What was consistent among them was the attention to detail and finish work. I also wanted to see something a bit more 'out there' in terms of design and execution. I gave my vote to thegarahanman. His design is really cool and the construction of it very unique. There is nothing quite like it that I have seen and the construction of it shows that he is willing to take some risks. I like that approach. This is where the new ideas for guitar building are going to come from so I have to support that.

Nice work to all!

~David

Russ has my vote. High degree of difficulty in a hand carved top, great details, unique design elements. I dig Phils bass. Great details, but I had to go for the higher degree of difficulty because they both are built so well. This has been a gold mine of a month for sure.

Peace, Rich

Godin amazes me. At your age I keep trying to figure out who's helping you and how much they're doing, because I'm in disbelief. I was 17 before I was building with curves like that.

Auccually no one helps me at all. My brother made the body and headstock designs in photoshop and I built it myself from scratch.

The only help I get is from asking questions on this forum.

Edited by Godin SD

My Police guitar only plays well near Donut shops.

I had a feeling my guitar would provide mixed feelings from the beginning. You know, musicians often have had their share of run-ons with "the man". Luckily when I jammed with this Police band, you didn't have to turn down...because the Police was already there. Very unfair advantage.

Phil's got it. Can't compete with superior design and wood working skills. Lots of time went into that one I'll bet. Except, I can't see how the hell you bass players play on those 6 string bass necks. Don't you need 6 inch fingers?

Nice work to everyone.

-Stew

This is my first time to vote for GOTM, and I have to say, I truly hope that every month the voting is as difficult as this one has been. I was very impressed with each and every entry. I would be proud to own and brag on any of the instruments built this month.

In the end it was down to the Crucible and Phil's bass. Even narrowing it down to that was difficult. The Crucible is one of the most beautiful semi-hollows I've seen, and in the end the "launch pad" really worked for me, and made the guitar stand out. The inlays are also a fantastic touch, and I am thouroughly pleased that he decided to leave the finish natural. I'm not a guitarist (I play some, but not like I play bass) but if I was, I'd be calling him to build me an instrument.

Phil's bass ended up taking it for me. The body design, the wood choices, the home-made pickups and covers, the original and well executed fingerboard.... :D they all work together in a way that only a meticulous and well thought out design could. Truly an inspirational build. The olive wood on the top and back are specifically interesting to me because they are beautiful without being very flashy. I love flamed/quilted/burled woods but there is something about the subtle beauty and color of that wood that grabs me.

Congrats to all who entered an instrument, and specifically congrats to Phil, because it looks like he's taking this one.

And even though I didn't use this as criterea for my voting (I promise) it's GREAT to see a bass build do so well, and I would love to see more of that here! :D

after looking at both the crucible and the 6 string bass both stunning builds and great craftmenship by both (or all) of the builds the bass just topped it as it just looked more my style. So like lots of people in this vote i went with what i would have and that bass took the cookie!

Good job guys im looking foward to next months.

T

I'm still freaked by all the wonderful comments i'm getting... :D

Contrary to what some of you seem to believe this bass didn't take that long to build. Four months of very part time work in total, my first one took me 12 months. There's less than 60-70 hours of work in there.

The glueing of all the laminates was the longest part and that was done within 2 or 3 days. Actually you could say that the longest part was the design, that started when I found that piece of olive wood and decided it was so beautiful it had to become a bass, took me another three months after that before I started the bass itself. There was a lot of planning, looking around at basses and bass builders sites'

Most of the credit is due to Conklyn, Warrior and Alembic, they were truely the biggest inspiration for this bass. Bill Conklyn was even nice enough to answer a question I had through e-mail :D

The guys at the Fender Custom Shop thought I should place bullet holes in the body. Thinking about that suggestion now, I'm wondering if that comment was for added effect for the guitar, or because of their distaste for Cops? :D

Phil, how did you get such perfect lines on that neck glue? I would think you would have had to scroll saw the different woods simultaneously? I mean straight lines are one thing but curved? Wow!

It's interesting that you used Olive for it, as I now have a bookmatched set of Olivewood too for a top.

I had the piece for several years, it was one of the pieces I was saving until I found a reliable resaw man, which I have now found, and most all the really high caliber pieces I had been saving are all now resawn and ready to go, so you will see another Olivewood instrument show up sometime in the next year.

I bet the bass sounds great, Olivewood being so hard and dense, I bet it has a very positive effect on the tone of the bass.

Again, really beautiful job Phil. :D

Now that I look a little closer, it does look straight. I guess the photo angle make the heel section look like it slightly curves into the lines on the body, the purpleheart line. I can tell at the nut it's straight. What a cool effect.