Lowest Action Ever

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did 1mm on my Charvel once, without ANY buzz. I also tuned it down to C standard, and still no buzz. I had set her up myself, but then I changed string gauge and it was never the same again :D

And im going to call you a liar.

1mm action at the 12th, equates to 0.3mm at the 12th when you fret at the 5th. A low E string vibrates 3mm total (light picking), and just over 2mm (extremely light picking, almost no sustain, very quick string fade).

So, not only does a string vibrate more than your suposed action height (when not fretted), but it tries to vibrate more than ten times the distance when the string is fretted at the 5th.

Those measurements are at E (and light guage strings), not C, and C (and heavier guages) is EVEN WORSE.

Nah, it was 1mm. I trippled checked because I was surprised myself. That's from the middle of the low E to the top of the 12th fret, without depressing the first fret.

1mm from THE MIDDLE of the low e (itself 1mm diameter) to the 12th fret??? So its really 0.5mm action?!?!?!?

yeah..i don't buy it either...it's impossible without rattle

just a couple of days ago i finished up a tele project for a customer. installed a set of texas specials. modded it with a four way switch that puts the pickups in series at the fourth setting. leveled, re-crowned and buffed the frets, installed a set of 9's and then set the relief.

fender calls for 2mm clearance at the 17th fret for the e,a and d strings and 1.6mm for the g, b and high e. i dropped them to 1 1/2mm and 1mm respectively with no buzz. no buzz, no rattle and probably one of the top 3 or 4 teles i've ever played.

i had my partner play it and he loved it..i had one of my staff instructors play it and he didn't like it that low. the important guy, the customer, loved it.

one thing that i've found over the years is that it takes a really good neck or a customer willing to shell out the bucks to get the neck right to get your action low with no buzz.

now, if i could get my takemine to play like that tele without sounding like a sitar i'd be a happy camper. :D

Right now all the guitars I made are taken apart and being bufferd of refinished so I can't measure them...

But on my Godin it's 1.3mm from the bottom of the fattest E string to the top of the 12th fret. On one of my takamines (G series) It's 2.1mm from the bottom of the fattest E string to the top of the 12th fret. On my other takemine (nautraul series, so built in japan and setup correctly) it's 1.9 mm.

All this is without buzzing even when I play prety hard. On my godin I can lower it just a hair if I play very softly. The wenge guitar I made has a slightly higher action than my godin due to the 24" scale legenth. I'll measure it as soon as it's strung up. I'd estimate it's around 1.4-1.6mm. It's very close to the godin but not quite there. There next guitar I make is gonna be 25" scale so I can get the action down even more.

Perry, whats the action on your guitar?

Edited by Godin SD

I won't say that 1mm at the 12th is definitely feasible as I've never cared to try. I'm not a low action guy myself, but I think you're out of line Perry. You and I both know that wether a string buzzes or not can depend entirely on how a person plays, and when did you start picking your strings perpendicular to the plane of the strings? Strings that vibrate as the result of force imparted by pick(unless you have an oscillating actuator at your bridge) will only vibrate on a 2 dimensional plane. I took a course that solely dissected the vibrations within open and closed systems, and I'm certain you can not say something like 1mm action at the 12th fret is 100% impossible. In your support though, it would take one hell of an accurate fret job and straight neck.

Edited by thegarehanman

i just checked my ibanez neck through...it has the lowest action of any of mine...

it has distance at the 12th of right at 1.2 mm from top of fret to bottom of low e string.

.5 mm is just not possible without buzz.my neck is perfectly straight(no relief..i don't believe in it) and i believe the radius is around 15"...which is all that makes it possible for me to bend without fretting out on the radius.

it also has a recessed floyd...and somehow i can pull all the way back on it anywhere on the neck without fretting out....

i can go with a 1 mm action if it is not floyd equipped...but 1 mm to the CENTER of the low e sounds like an exaggeration

but anything lower than my ibanez is a waste of time...it actually starts to get less playable because you can't grab a bend as well and it just starts to sound like cat claws on a tin roof with all of the scrabbling over the frets

I won't say that 1mm at the 12th is definitely feasible as I've never cared to try. I'm not a low action guy myself, but I think you're out of line Perry. You and I both know that wether a string buzzes or not can depend entirely on how a person plays,

Excactly, which is why i never bothered supplying the measurement for a string that was plucked any harder than LIGHTLY or EXTREMELY LIGHTLY. You do some research. You have a guitar handy. YOU DO THE MEASUREMENTS

and when did you start picking your strings perpendicular to the plane of the strings? Strings that vibrate as the result of force imparted by pick(unless you have an oscillating actuator at your bridge) will only vibrate on a 2 dimensional plane.

Ya wrong mate. Grab a guitar, and try plucking the string any which way you like. It will ALWAYS vibrate in a oval motion, spreading to a full circular pattern. Ever noticed some guitars dont buzz instantly, but DEVELOP a buzz a half or full second or so after the strings been plucked?? Perpandicular, horizontal, diagonally, bla bla, its all irrelevant. PROVE ME WRONG

I took a course that solely dissected the vibrations within open and closed systems, and I'm certain you can not say something like 1mm action at the 12th fret is 100% impossible. In your support though, it would take one hell of an accurate fret job and straight neck.

Straigh neck, fret job, bla bla, got nothing to do with it (string vibration that is...). If a string PHYSICALLY vibrates, when LIGHTLY, or even EXTREMELY LIGHTLY plucked (horizontal, perpandicular to the fretboard, whatever, YOU choose how you want to pluck it), and the PHYSICAL UNDENIABLE NATURE OF THAT STRING is to vibrate in a pattern that can be measured as a GREAT DISTANCE THAN THE ACTUAL ACTION OF THE STRING COMPARED TO THE FRET, then it is going to buzz.

PROVE ME WRONG

I don't use metric to do any of my measurements first off. The action at the 12th fret if measured from the center of the string to the top of the fret, can't be 1 mm or like Perry said .5mm from bottom of string to top of fret without rattle. I totally agree with that. I bet he just worded his sentence wrong though. I'm sure he meant to say 1mm clearance at the 12th fret, which is still rather low and actually could be umcomfortable to play on even though it might not buzz. The 1.2mm measurement that Wes had is more like a low action setup measurement that you will see. Maybe he just rounded his measurement to the nearest mm, which could be the case, but I'm with you guys, I don't see how .5mm clearance at the 12th fret can be done without a lot of buzz, no matter the fret job, or neck jig.. lol.

I Just looked at my les paul , got my steal ruler and its at 1mm . So my les paul is telling me it is in fact obtainable . Anything lower than the 1mm on my guitar would be very very low and would buzz for sure .

Edited by criss

I Just looked at my les paul , got my steal ruler and its at 1mm  . So my les paul is telling me it is in fact obtainable .

Yes, but I don't think Perry has an arguement with that, only the statement made where it was 1mm from top of the 12th fret to the middle of the E string, which would make it .5mm after you accounted for half the width of the string. That's what we don't agree with. Again, I think he just worded his statement wrong.

I Just looked at my les paul , got my steal ruler and its at 1mm  . So my les paul is telling me it is in fact obtainable .

Yes, but I don't think Perry has an arguement with that, only the statement made where it was 1mm from top of the 12th fret to the middle of the E string, which would make it .5mm after you accounted for half the width of the string. That's what we don't agree with. Again, I think he just worded his statement wrong.

Im guessing thats what this fellow ment . I thought it was from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret also . My bad :D

i should read twice post once .

Edited by criss

on 10-52 tuned to DCGFAD i have 1.7mm low and high, but the nut is too low forcing me to raise the action to avoid buzz. new nut and ill bet it will go down.

i think the lowest i have managed is about 1.1 ish - the string rubbed the 1.14 dunlop pick, and about 1.3 low on the 7 string with 10-52 tuned to BEADGBE.

i like low action, but you can go too low! I think you need a certain amount of resistance. Yng apparently plays with wild high action, go figure!

Mike

My blonde maple DC measures 1.5mm on the low E, and 1.2 on the high E. The LP is a hair higher, but not enough to be noticeable. I tend to take the strings as low as I can, until I get some buzz. Then I back up a little until the buzz is gone. As some folks have mentined, it's actually far nice to play with the action up a little, it makes it easier to dig in to bends.

Of course, I'm a hack, so my playing preferences should be taken with a pinch of salt. :D