Help! Need To Overcome Severe Stage Fright!

StreamLine

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I'd like to see any of you play a jazz standard well and then take a few rides on it. I doubt you know what you're talking about here. Living in/near New Orleans give you a much better appreciation for it. Playing jazz like a pro takes years upon years to perfect, and the skills that come with it are beneficial across the whole spectrum of music.

Hey guys, I'd like to see any of you play a jazz standard well and then take a few rides on it. I doubt you know what you're talking about here. Living in/near New Orleans give you a much better appreciation for it. Playing jazz like a pro takes years upon years to perfect, and the skills that come with it are beneficial across the whole spectrum of music.

My Dad always said: you were born with Jazz in your blood, if you have to learn it they call it the blues.

haha, well, the two have simularities,but if you listen to them both enough, you see the differences in composition and style. Although, there are many types of jazz(some I detest actually). I partly agree with you pop; a lot of jazz comes from your "soul." It helps to know your instrument well first, though.

He spent alot of time down you way.... loved the place. we actually lived in Slidell for a year or two. He played the Hayride when he was young, part of the stage band I think. He had stagefright there and froze his first time until sombody pushed him and said play it little Jeff. Told me he never had it again.

My Dad always said: you were born with Jazz in your blood, if you have to learn it they call it the blues.

Sorry, but I think that's backwards. :D

pwn?

I guess i've been out of the country too long.

go ahead..ask them what it means.the definition is even nerdier than the word itself

its lame because it was jsut a typo that was made so commonly its now referred to as a word. :D

prawn?

its supposed to be own,which by some strange feature of the english language is now a way to make fun of someone/something.

Marksound...you need a reason for playing the blues. I certainly hope you weren't born with "the blues."

Not to get off topic, but the blues isn't about being miserable. There's all kinds of blues. Up, down, happy, sad, you name it.

And yes, I think I was born with the blues. :D

Happy blues??? Thats Jazz... isnt it?

Kids say the darndest things, eh?

Anyway, back to the stage fright thing...

So yesterday the band was invited to play at a garden party picnic thing with a bunch of other bands. Except they were almost all jazz bands--and some of these guys were professionals.

You know, the type that can actually hear if you're 1/100 of a cent out of tune...

Mostly older, rich types too...difficult to get up to play in front of crowd like that (about 200 people or so). To make things worse, the rented sound-system was inadequate and we had no one to do our sound. The guy who ended up doing it was shown the controls five minutes before we got on...(our bass player, who knows what he's doing, had done the sound for everyone else all afternoon)

So we get up there...all I have in the monitor in front of me is my own voice BLARING out so loud that mostly what I got was an earful of feedback. Couldn't hear the other guys' harmonies...keyboard player couldn't hear himself at all, so he kept screwing up. The drummer (he's pushing 60 years old, he's my wife's uncle) had already played with his big band that afternoon, and he'd had a few too many glasses of wine...so he was all tuckered out...

To make matters worse for me, I hadn't changed my strings this week when I should have...so I started having, uh, tuning issues (I made a joke out of that later, people laughed, it was okay).

Well. a lil' nip of whisky before and another about midway through the set definitely took the edge off...I just relaxed and played past the problems.

Just thought I'd test out my advice, you know, in the spirit of public service. :D

What I like about playing out is EVERY time is different. I mean, completely different. You just never know what's going to happen. I love that part.

I don't know about anyone else, but after 35 years of playing in front of people I still get stage fright. Luckily, it goes away as soon as we start playing.

The thing to remember is to just have fun. If it ain't fun it's too much like work.

Same here, all you can do (besides getting completely wasted before a show so you don't feel anything) is to know your material inside-out upside-backwards. You'll still be nervious, just go with it and let memory take over and most often the stress will reduce.

Many people that have played for many years still get pre-show gitters. Just shows you're human.

right, thanks guys!!

i've spoken to my guitar teacher about this.. now he's a real jazz maestro (though technically i can pwn him without too much trouble..) :D [he's still 20 times better than me as a musician...]

anyway, what he said was in agreement with with the general consensus here has been...... practice!!!

i've been putting in 1 - 2 hour a day practice session just on this one piece (and lol, i am getting sort of sick of it.. i dont think i'll play it again after the performance for a long time!) but i am honing in on a few imperfections etc...

confidence is also building, somewhat. still, 2 weeks to go (exactly!), so thats about 18 hours of practice on this piece left.. and considering it'll be over in about 2 mins, i should be ok. B)

i'm also working on a few stage moves and facial 'Vai' expressions as well as some whammy bar tricks... doing them seems to get me more relaxed in the practice runs.

so.... so far so good, a tonne of thanks for everyone's advice so far... i will try to get hold of the video of the final thing to post here, or i will let you know how it all went at the very least.

one thing i'm really interested in, is the reaction of the music teachers. my school doesnt think much of guitars... i mean i'm gonna have to be playing through a marshall MG amp (though i will use my friend's Mesa V-Twin as a pre-amp.... still gonna be a big step down from my mesa half stack at home :D ) - that's what they have in school. and being classical snobs, i will probably get dodgy looks when i come on stage especially as they've last seem me play around 4 years ago.. so playing Paganini on an electric guitar is gonna be controversial - to people who think the guitar is only good for a little jangly indie garage rock $hit or any other talentless 'guitarist' wearing the instrument below his knees coz its cool. i mean taht attitude is understandable, but somewhat damaging to those of us who treat the electric guitar as a R-E-A-L instrument.

i'm worried about the sound. i dont think it is wise to bring in my 4x12 and my head JUST for a 2 min performance. so i have to use the 15 watt or whatever MG POS. V-twin will give me a pretty nice tone... but coz its a school hall, there's no chance of a PA or miking the amp... so how should i get the sound? i'm thinking ill put it up as loud as the amp will allow me to without blowing the crappy speaker of it....do you have any particular ideas about adjusting the EQ, reverb and overall volume?

i'm a tone snob, and i'm one of those people who, if the tone sounds bad, find it difficult to play and lose enthusiasm - and i know i'll be dealing with a pretty bad live tone. i just hope it'll be good enough, same goes for my playing!

peace,

Roman

Edited by StreamLine