Help! Need To Overcome Severe Stage Fright!

StreamLine

DragonForce are the boys! They rock! They were in aberdeen on saturday (i think) i could have went but i got told like as soon as they sold out :D

Anyway, youl do fine, i have lets see, a week and a bit to go till my show, I know half of one of the songs, a bit of the other, and i havnt even heard the last song im doing yet, so yeh. Its gona be fun.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woo!!

that was THE most fun thing that i've ever done.

it went pretty well, i started off well with the trill intro... then during the arpeggios i felt my hands shaking so bad but i carried on and it was okay, i hit the last note, G# clean. i think i did a Vai expression there.

then i sort of calmed down as i saw some impressed faces and i then went okay through the main melody and the octave jumping section, which all went smoothly except a mess up in the first part, but i carried on so it was okay. then on the chords i went pretty crazy and then proceeded to do some 'over the top of the fretboard' wankerage, which went down really well. then i finally hit a nice divebomb and played two chords to end it all off (i changed the ending a bit).

unless you know the piece all the stuff above wont make much sense B)

but basically, i had the biggest adrenaline rush. i cant remember much of what happened because i was concentrating so hard. i only got the above description with aid of photos and video clips.

cranked up my amp so much that people could hear me two floors below in the school and outside! it sounded beautiful however, completely worth the effort. i cannot recommend enough bringing in a half stack / big GOOD amp for performances.. all other guitarists' tone was tinny and small... so that was great.

i went off thinking i messed up SO much, but everyone said i was great.... i guess it was because i didnt stop and did enough showing off tricks and stage moves to cover up :D

the adjudicator (this being a contest) called me a legend, and although didnt give me a prize (this chinese girl playing a piano at speed approximately twice that of anything by Michael Angelo Batio - and with two hands, won) he was very complimentary. everyone else gave me lots of praise too.... got very drunk that night celebrating, however no good looking girls turned up to post concert party, so that was a shame... i thought my chances wouldnt be too bad after that :D

after my solo piece, my house did a 'choir' cover of Jackson 5's 'Blame it on the Boogie' in which i just rocked out playing some funk and a slightly silly over the top solo... B)

i got a bunch of photos and as it stands only a short video clip, but i am trying to get a full length one.. if you tell me how to post it here / attach it, i will share the pics.... maybe video too.

basically, was the most fun thing ever, for me. though now, i cannot stand to play that piece ever again... i played it waaaaaaaaaaay too many times now. there's a feeling of a small emptiness in my life now tyhat i've fullfilled taht particular dream.... though it was a great experience and everyone know thinks i'm a 'legend'... i think even the music teachers were impressed. i heard some muttering about there being too much gain on the amp, and it being too loud.... but that's too bad! :D

yeah, so thanks a lot everyone. i definetely recommend takign up any opportunity to perform to anyone.. i for one cant wait to get back onto a stage.. such a wild and liberating experience

i will try to post the pics, if i can...

Roman

Edited by StreamLine

Woo, sounds great man!

I got my talent show on wed and thurs, i'm playin the boys are back in town, woo for thin lizzy! Im also doing a solo, but itl be rubbish cause its all improvised and i'll trip up on my notes due to playing tooo fast. I get to play 3 differant guitars tho, thats a plus, and i got a half stack, itl be so loud youl be able to hear me over in the states (well maby not. but i'll damn well try)

Good job man. Congrats.

I still haven't played in front of many people, but I can't wait until I play something like that. My school's talent show isn't until April/May, so I have PLENTY of time to get material down. I just hope I don't get nervous, I've never played in front of more than 30 people, but that was with a 10 watt amp and a poorly set up Les Paul Studio, so it didn't matter anyway. :D

Good job though, glad you had fun.

Yeah, I like LP studios, they're nice. They're just really hard to play when:

You're nervous.

Sitting on a table because you're in a classroom with no normal chairs.

It's not your guitar.

But it was cool. I'm so eager to play in front of people, but I'm not sure who or where. :D

here's the video.... only a 30 sec extract unfortunately... :D

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3HBHT37...VL2W5PXJJLDYAF9

i'm trying to get some better video and pics but no luck so far (these are pictures i could find)

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1E08B1K...FS3TN0R20INNKAD

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=22JTZTX...3M1EIFBZZX5M2XN

i was using my Washburn EC29 into my Mesa/Boogie DC-10... which you can see in one of the pics... no way was i gonna use the little substanard amps at the front! i think you can hear in the video that it was loud :D

some mistakes in that section but overall i'm pretty pleased... i go even more crazy (or so i'm told) after the clip finishes, so its a shame that that bit is not on video.

Roman

Its a good thing I saw crossroads last night or I wouldn't remember how its supposed to sound. Cool beans though, I wish I could play that.

hey man, there's no reason why you cant. i practically learnt to play the guitar over this piece.... i've been practicing this thing for like 2 years solid... and still not enough to be able to play it flawlessly on stage... you can do it if you really believe in yourself! :D

Roman