12 String Guitars

verhoevenc

I was looking at Rickenbacker 360s on eBay and was thinking to myself... the 12 string version is going for about the same exact price as the 6 string version. Which lead me to think, wouldn't it just be WELL worth you money (ie: the more bang for the buck theory) to get the 12 string, cause therefore you've got a 12 string, and if you want, just take off the harmony strings and make it a normal 6 string, cause in the rickenbacker 360's case, the 12s look EXACTLY like the 6s (cause it's not like the headstock is any bigger cause they designed it GENIOUSLY)!?

Or am I misunderstanding the 12 string (I don't have one so it's very possible I am)? Would it not play/feel like a 6 even if you took off the harmony strings?

Chris

Your string spacing will be wider on the 12 which may or may not be an issue for you, but I'm guessing it would be an issue for most. With the extra 6 strings on there your finger has somewhere to land other than empty space. Other than that, yes, if you take off the "other" 6 strings it should sound about the same as a 6 string.

One question.....why buy a 12 if you really want a 6 or vice versa??

Haha honestly I wouldn't buy the 12 string to keep 6 strings on. Like he said, the necks are a helluva lot fatter than regular 6 strings. Than second of all its uneconomical as heck. Just putting on 6 strings only to buy a new set of them to put them back on. Haha in that time, I wouldve worked enough hours in my job to buy another guitar. Buy a doubleneck. You could swtich from 12 strings 6 strings in a heartbeat....or get Vai's tripleneck

....Ive found that playing on a 12 string neck (epi eds 1275 doubleneck) is no different of feel than a 6 string neck, infact it felt good :D

id say go for it becuase you never know, maybe ull wanna play with 12 strings for a while and then go back to 6 so why buy two guitar if you know you are going to wanna play on a 12 one day.

:D

I actually prefer the width of a 12 compared to a 6; I've got rather fat fingers. It doesn't take long to get used to it. This is actually one of the issues that led me to build my own guitars, with the extra width I can solo much easier without the unintended hammer-ons that I sometimes get on a stock-width neck.

I would think that moving back and forth would reak havock on your action though, you'd have to adjust the truss rod every time you switched back and forth. But I could be wrong. I've actually never owned a 12 string, but I play them every once in a blue moon, and despite how infrequently I play one, I have no issues what so ever switching back and forth feeling wise, so I wouldn't think the neck width would cause too much of an issue (albeit a 12 string would probably feel strang without the harmony strings).