Guitar Of The Month For October

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, it was a tough choice between D's Tele and Doug's custom, but I had to give it up for Doug again. I really wanted to consider the Zipper Cherry, but the scratched-up and abused bridge sort of kept me back. Such a beautiful guitar and the hard work that went into it deserves a new, polished bridge.

Good job, Doug! That burl just blows everyone else away!

bigD BEST TELE YOU'VE DONE!! Great stuff :D

Doug man Deadly very deadly :D

Jehle DAMN good for a spare Parts guitar!!

jazzclub WILD just wild

Tough one :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I liked doug's, but the off center humbucker ring killed it for me. My vote went to jazzclub. I like longer bottom horns, and that purple does it for me. Oh...and teles bore me, especially ones with very little detail. I know that's what teles are to a lot of people, but I just don't see bare bones guitars as GOTM candidates.

peace,

russ

Well, they're all winners! Derek, you're right, that red dye is outstanding! The carve on the Zipper is extremely well-executed (especially the headstock!), and Doug's custom is gorgeous, but Jehle's Odd Boy got my vote - roller nut, oddball headstock, slanted single between two humbuckers, Badass bridge, minmalist controls, mandolin frets - it's just too 1977 total hotrod!! All it needs is a "Disco Sucks!" sticker. :D

I would've killed up at the Plush Horse with that axe! :D

Ah, at last I get to vote for a 'different' design...I'm talking about that Zipper Cherry, obviously...

Okay, I still don't like those back panels, but you can't see that from the front anyway. And the bridge doesn't bother me--he can replace that when he's ready (I honestly didn't notice it).

The oddboy's headstock ruined it for me...because the rest of its really cool, especially the awesome pickguard...and it's got the mini-switch...and of course the concept of a 'harvested' guitar...

The tele...well, bigd's stuff is always great, but after a while, you kind of want to see something else from him (well, given his recent experience maybe we will)(then again, I might be putting up my tele next month, so he can always chuck rocks at me then)

If I could vote twice, I'd definitely give my other vote to Doug...awe-inspiring work, I mean, breathtaking, really. That truss-rod cover! Wow! But the pointy shape doesn't do it for me, nor that messy wood thing. Still, he deserves to win too, but I'm only allowed to vote for one, so I voted for the shape I'd prefer to play. (I still don't see the problem with the humbucker...)

All the guitars this month deserve a win, this one was a close call between 2 guitars to my eyes, Doug and jazzclub, the others were not too far behind, so this can be anybodys call.

but the off center humbucker ring killed it for me.

I don't know what you mean with this, I looked at the pics for a few minutes and couln't tell if the were off center :D may be they look that way because they are carved?

Still Doug got my vote this month!

If you guys keep raising the bar this much every month, I might never get one nice enough to be here. :D But enough of that.

Derek's Tele is gorgeous, but a red guitar has to be just the right red to get me. I'm funny that way.

I appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship, but Doug's buckeye thing just doesn't do anything for me at all. It should be hanging in a museum or something.

The Zipper Cherry is unique and imaginative, but it looks uncomfortable. I wouldn't play it. Sorry.

Jehle's Parts Box Special shows what you can do with a C note and a little ingenuity. That guitar makes me all vibratey inside. :D I still think that funky garden spade headstock needs one more tuner on it for balance, but I voted for the Odd Boy anyway. B)

Ok.... lets see.

BigD, nice one. Too bad that maple didnt accept the stain too well, but it still looks good. I think i PM'd you a trick to avoid that didnt i after you first posted pics??

Doug. PLEASE, can we get the intonation right?? Inlays, they are contracted out right?? Nice body and headstock.

Jazzclub, no a fan of the design at all, but i dont take that into consideration (the carve does look nice). Please use new parts ok?? That bridge really kills it. Headstock looks good.

Jehle, obviously you couldnt get any bargain pickguard screws on ebay :D Good on ya for doing it on the cheap. Looks good, but id prefer a narrower headstock.

who got my vote?? Still thinking about it.

Jehle's Odd Boy got my vote - roller nut, oddball headstock, slanted single between two humbuckers, Badass bridge, minmalist controls, mandolin frets - it's just too 1977 total hotrod!! All it needs is a "Disco Sucks!" sticker.  B)

I would've killed up at the Plush Horse with that axe!  :D

It's not too late ya know. :D This made my day to see that.

I can't decide who to cast my own vote for. I know the Odd Boy is... odd... and it's plays really well. It's actually set up better than my other guitars. It shreads. The Buckeye custom is just so unique that I'm more tempted to vote for it. I can't decide!

Oh, Perry, I did get those pickguard screws installed. I managed to bum a few freebies from the local guitar shop to finish it. It's a bit late to show them now, but you can see them in this grainy picture on my site... http://home.hiwaay.net/~jehle/photos4.htm

I voted for the Doug

The cap is absolutely amazing, I love the design, the pickup rings, the coin-knobs, lots of nice little custom details - really stands out for me.

Good Job.

However, I do also love the oddboy, to build a guitar of that quality on that money definitly deserves some Kudos.

I liked doug's, but the off center humbucker ring killed it for me.

the pickup ring isint off center. The bridge is cocked to give for better intonation and it being cocked makes the pickup look off center . Personally I think the bridge looks like crap being cocked and thats the only thing I would change about that guitar. That said thats my favrite guitar I've ever seen in GOTM.

Favrite as in best peice of wood, best looking finish, coolest inlays, coolest headstock, and coolest overall design. (All just my opinion of course)

I really like the violin style cut outs on the body. Without any cutouts there it would look very similar to the one I'm working on now. I really like those cutouts, very classy. It really adds something to the body shape that makes it cool for metal as well as more subdued styles. Thats the first guitar I've ever seen that I would like to play on a metal stage as well as many other geners.

Edited by Godin SD

I voted for dougs because there's some incredible work involved (not to say anyone elses was any less). The only thing I didn't like was the top. Reminds me of Exorcist Vomit.

You guys here really have a thing for clear figured wood finishes. I'm glad Odd Boy was submitted with a metallic finish. It's just I could not get past that headstock shape. Sorry.

You guys here really have a thing for clear figured wood finishes.

Well The way I see it is I look out over a mountian and see nature and I am amazed at the beauty. Than I look at a city and it's butt ugly. I prefer nature to man made any day. I think wood looks more beautiful than any paint I've ever seen.

the pickup ring isint off center. The bridge is cocked to give for better intonation and it being cocked makes the pickup look off center .

What do you take me for, a strat guy? :D I'm quite well versed in TOMs. I was referring to the ring at the neck. it looks like this:

hb.JPG

I give him the benifit of the doubt by thinking it's intentional. I think he did it so he could get the neck humbucker farther from the bridge. It just looks too odd for me. Although, that's not a big deal overall, as it's a very beautiful guitar. The truss rod cover and the inlays are top notch. I'm just a stickler for details. I liked the contrasting covers on Jazzclub's and the bridge gives it character.

Edited by thegarehanman

It came down to Doug and Jazzclub for me, although I liked all the guitars in the GOTM this month. I dug the drop top tele, but it just didn't speak to me like the others did. The Odd Boy is my kind of guitar, a total mutt, and I like the idea behind the project, but it wasn't in the same league as the Zipper or the Total Custom.

Jazzclub, I'm not a big fan of the body shape, but the guitar looks gorgeous overall. The headstock/body carves are just awesome. It's an odd shape, but overall it comes off well as a package. I had a hard time not voting for it.

Doug, I loved everything about the total custom vibe. The buckeye, the carved brass pickup rings, the awesome biohazard inlay, and most of all the mercury dime knobs.

When it comes down to it, I asked myself which one I'd rather own, and every time it was Doug's total custom, so he gets my vote.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Like Perry, I'm not ready to vote yet. I need to know what (if anything) was contracted out on Doug's guitar. I think the "offset" mounting ring comment refers to the fact that the wall is thicker on the insides than the outsides. That doesn't bother me at all. It's a design element. There are lots of things I don't like about Doug's guitar, but also like Perry I personally don't let that influence me.

Jehle's Oddboy is perfect until you get to the headstock. The shape is goofy enough and the natural wood with the stripe makes it even goofier. Perhaps a black or matching paint job on the headstock would make it less awkward.

Derek's tele is just that. A quilt top tele with a Mighty Mite neck. It's a guitar that could get my vote, but unfortunately not when there are some excellent 3-dimensional carves in the same month. C'mon, Derek, you have to start carving up those thick tops you have! I realize this was for a friend so you just have to let that dictate the job.

The Zipper is fantastic. If he had made the neck it would be a guatantee. The shape and carve are perfectly designed and executed. I can't fault the hardware and component choices here because none of us knows what someone else's budget or availability is for parts. So Jazzclub and Derek basically built bodies and gave pro setups to factory necks. In that case Jazzclub's carve and original design trumps a slab tele.

Basically if Doug did all that work himself he gets my vote, even though I hate the natural coloring and the antique brass. It's still a great, "out of the ordinary" design with excellent execution. Depending on what was farmed out, my vote could flip to the Zipper.