Guitar Of The Month For October

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Doug gets my vote. It's unique, has great wood, execution and is totally custom made. I also think the degree of difficulty was the highest of the bunch. I also cannot vote for a guitar that isn't completely scratchbuilt including the neck. Say what you want but that's how it goes for me. I hold myself to high standards and I hold the builders of ProjectGuitar.com to the same.

Dave

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted for Jehle. I like the idea behind it and the attitude...

I was astonished by Doug's, but after a few minutes of drooling I thought that it was just a bit "too much"... And the Zipper Cherry did not really "speak" to me either... BigD's tele is nice... for a tele. But I dislike Teles anyway so it was no option for me....

Great work and congratulations to all.

I like Teles and this one is nice and clean (as Teles should be) but red quilt isn't my thing. I know its for a customer.

Love the idea of the odd boy and like the result. Different is good so congrats again. At the pace I'm collecting parts, I'll have to remember this concept.

The custom is eye catching with the wood and the details. Looks aggressive, but I like it better than many of this genre.

Voted for the zipper. Body shape is hard to get used to for me, but the body carve and finish is really good. LOVE the headstock carve. A deal clincher.

A bunch of fantastic guitars again this month! I like them all a lot, but my vote went to the Zipper Cherry. The design and carve on that guitar are awesome in my opinion. It's unique and ballsy, while remaining elegant. The upper horn is really fantastic and compliments the long lower horn nicely. I also love the way the upper bout balances the long horn out. The headstock carve is the icing on the cake. Great work!

I also really like Doug's custom. It reminds me quite a bit of Warwick's Vampyre bass, but with some nice improvements, i.e the carve, inlays, etc. The fit and finish look terrific and I love the buckeye burl top. I would have given it my vote, but to my eyes the Zipper was a more original design.

I am always impressed with BigD's Tele's, and this one is spectacular, but I think a Tele would have to really blow me away to get my vote, simply because I've seen so many of them. I would, however, be proud to have any one of his gitters in my collection!

The oddboy is a terrific use of resources, and deserves votes simply based on that. It's great to see that a guitar can be built without shelling out a fortune! Even though I don't personally like the headstock, I love the way the truss rod cover reiterates the design.

No basses this month... :D:D I'll have to do something about that soon.....

Congrats everybody!

Edited by Bassisgreat

Beautiful craftmanship on all parts, and a special hats off to the "mutt" guitar. I loved the idea, and its nice to see it done, however, the total custom has my vote. The first band I ever joined needed a guitarist who could play the solo for Biohazard's Punishment, and its all been downhill from there :D The inlays put it over the top for me!!!!

Guilty....Punishment for ALL MY SINS!!!!

I know my guitars are just run of the mill tele, but next one I enter I hope will be like the burl and Zipper cool and unique.

I should bribe votes with varitones.... lol, jk.

I like the Burl and Zipper both pushing the edge on what was done before... good job to all.

I thought perry's would have made it this month, watch out next month that one will be the landslide.

all marvlous but Doug got my vote for the detail. It isn't actually to my tase but the the craftsmanship on that guitar isoutstanding! The others are great but Doug's had the edge. I reall don't care if it was done by him or someone else - it's the Guitar of the month not Craftsman of the month so in my opinion, the final guitar is what matters.

I won't be making the neck on my custom - doesn't make it a lesser guitar - probably a better one!

My vote went ot jazzclub! Not my style of guitar at all but I enjoyed the design and carve it had along with the finish. It's far from ordinary, and thats something I really like, different wood, different headstock carve and so on. Good stuff. The tele looks good but isn't too far off what Bigd does all the time, the finish color was great but I couldn't vote strictly for a finish. The odd boy is awsome and would be my second choice and made a hard decision for me. I really think it turned out great and it's a great concept, I enjoyed it from the first post. And the custom, very cool, not my style but definately well built and was in consideration. I also want to know what was contracted out, I agree that it is guitar of the month, but I think making it yourself is part of the idea, I could buy some wood and send it out and have someone make it like Perry or Myka and enter it but I wouldn't vote for anything like that. If people put on factory necks thats fine, just mention it and people will take that into consideration, but if everything is made by other people I would vote for the homemade project instead. Thats just how I am though, and everyone is different. All were good guitars though. This place is cool.

my vote went to big d, for some reason i looked at it at loved it, looks awesome! oddboy was a close second, i like the kinda of kooky weird look it's got.

It'd be nice if it was mandatory that all entrants in the GOTM competition state any and all parts not made by them. That would make the voting process a lot more honest, IMHO.

Believe this one was discussed before...

I hate rules. Well, too many rules, at any rate. But maybe there can be an optional submission form --a guide for the information that people want to know. Up to the contestant to fill it out or not. People's willingness to provide the info might factor into the voter's choice.

But let's not be too intimidating here-- a guitar project is a guitar PROJECT. It's not a guitar-built-from-scratch, that's just a subset. Like sneakers are shoes too. But there are other shoes.

For me, a project starts as simply as a refinish and goes all the way through a complete- from-scratch-including-original-design.

Look, I don't make my own necks (I'm tempted though). But I also don't make my own pickups, my own bridge, tuners, pots, etc. It's up to ME to choose the appropriate gear for my project. I suppose everyone has their own point when a project becomes a 'true' self-built guitar.

Anyway, just food for thought here. I tend to respect people's enthusiasm levels more than anything else!

But let's not be too intimidating here-- a guitar project is a guitar PROJECT. It's not a guitar-built-from-scratch,  that's just a subset. Like sneakers are shoes too. But there are other shoes.

For me, a project starts as simply as a refinish and goes all the way through a complete- from-scratch-including-original-design.

What about when the guitar was made in an Asian factory (as a standard guitar line), and the guy chucks a logo on it, and adds a pearl pickguard, and enters it as his CUSTOM MADE guitar?? We had this not so long ago remember.

Credit where credit is due i reckon.

Like Perry, I'm not ready to vote yet. I need to know what (if anything) was contracted out on Doug's guitar. I think the "offset" mounting ring comment refers to the fact that the wall is thicker on the insides than the outsides. That doesn't bother me at all. It's a design element. There are lots of things I don't like about Doug's guitar, but also like Perry I personally don't let that influence me.

You guys are killing me with this contracted out BS* Ain't this Project Guitar? This is not a COMPLETE built from scratch contest! We have been thru this disscusion quite several times! What if the inlays are contracted out? What if the neck was bought from Carvin, Stew Mac, Perry, LGM Setch? Who cares!

I still haven't build my neck, and I know that there are a few others here that are on the same boat! Even Drak with as experienced as he is still buys his necks. I can't inlay, and I haven't even tried to do so yet because I don't have the tools, same as for neck building. Of course I can make one, and I know it will turn out OK, but OK is not good enough for me.

Why if the inlays are contracted? will that make you not vote for it? Same as for the pup rings, don't we buy most from outside sources? Please keep the excuses for why you are not voting for somebodies guitar for yourselves! You are not doing anybody a favor by posting them! I think it hurts the competition more that it helps you decide for which one to vote.

Also what the heck about jazzclub tremolo? he used the parts from another guitar to make this one complete!!! Not all of us got the money to shed out to buy brand new parts every time we decide to refinish a guitar!

The point of having a bought guitar with minor mods entered like Perry pointed out is a valid one. But Inlays, even necks, I don't see this a factor to influence my vote.

Credit where credit is due i reckon.

I'm with you on this Perry, but just because somebody built everything and did the inlays, won't mean that he will get my vote if there is another guitar that looks way better than it. I can understand if every part of the guitar was bought! but not if just the inlays or the neck was!

You guys are killing me with this contracted out BS* Ain't this Project Guitar? This is not a COMPLETE built from scratch contest! We have been thru this disscusion quite several times! What if the inlays are contracted out? What if the neck was bought from Carvin, Stew Mac, Perry, LGM Setch? Who cares!

First of all, if i see "BS" as an abbreviation, you'll see yourself on vacation. Rules are rules, and acronyms, abbreviations, etc, all count as far as im concerned.

Secondly, i asked Doug a question. Thats it. Im not basing my vote, or anything thats contracted out. Im simply considering voting for the best guitar there, based on design, workmanship, layout, and resources. If doug HAS contracted out the inlay, GOOD ON HIM, id just like to see the inlay artist get the credit, WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.

Also what the heck about jazzclub tremolo? he used the parts from another guitar to make this one complete!!! Not all of us got the money to shed out to buy brand new parts every time we decide to refinish a guitar!

I can understand that. However, if I were entering the guitar in a contest, I wouldn't be taking a close-up picture of the well-used trem. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if he hadn't done that. If you gotta do what you gotta do to finish the guitar, that's cool with me, but when it gets to the level of the latest GOTM contests, you have to look at the little things to separate out the true winner. I still like the guitar, I don't hate it by any means.

On side note, when I was in college, I was tempted to go for a B.S. in Computer Science, but instead chose to get a B.A. in Business Administration. Just in case any of you were wondering.

I give him the benifit of the doubt by thinking it's intentional. I think he did it so he could get the neck humbucker farther from the bridge.

It's intentional, yes. Wanted the rings to be the same size of course, yet place that first coil in the sweet spot. :D

-Doug

So since you're here answering questions, would you mind telling us what parts, if any, (mainly the inlays) were contracted out? I like the guitar, and I'm not a snob about having to build all your own stuff or anything, but it's pretty close in my eyes between you and the zipper.

See, the things you contract out are totally fine by me, but then I have to judge them as a design element and not a labor element. And BOTH are important to me. I've seen plenty of "all custom" guitars here where the design and execution both sucked. Sure the guy put 100's of man hours into it, but I'd rather vote for a well designed and executed Tele in those cases. Project Guitar has a "DIY" connotation to it. So when you DON'T "DIY" we need to know, just like Zipper and Derek told us they used pre-fab necks. It would be misrepresentation to tell us they made the necks, and would give them an unfair advantage. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions, Doug.

I need to know what (if anything) was contracted out on Doug's guitar.

You guys are killing me...What if the inlays are contracted out? What if the neck was bought from Carvin, Stew Mac, Perry, LGM Setch? Who cares!....Why if the inlays are contracted? will that make you not vote for it? Same as for the pup rings, don't we buy most from outside sources?

The easiest way for me to clarify this is to say "No, it wouldn't make me NOT vote for it" and that is the truth. But what is ALSO true is that if I found out he DID carve up those mounting rings and cut the inlay himself, in addition to everything else on that guitar, that would make me WANT to vote for it. I know it's a subtle difference in language, but I want you to see that the questions about what is contracted out are meant in a positive light, not a negative one. I would LIKE to give credit where credit is due.

The only thing not done 100% by me is the inlay. I have CI do that. I send them an image, they do the inlay. It's my idea though. The rest of the guitar is made from scratch by me. No CNC. I design and shape all my own templates then make the guitar. (Of course the electronics etc. are purchased). Pickups are Loller.

-Doug

What about when the guitar was made in an Asian factory (as a standard guitar line), and the guy chucks a logo on it, and adds a pearl pickguard, and enters it as his CUSTOM MADE guitar?? We had this not so long ago remember.

Sure I remember...pretty easy one to spot, eh?

The truth will always out! :D

Oh yeah, Doug....I like the look of the humbucker rings, to me it was obviously intentional , since they're pretty much symmetrica.