grounding

gfairbairn

I have a question on grounding. I know that when you use a strat style tremolo you ground to the backside of the trem, I am currently building a les paul style guitar and was wondering about grounding. I have read that grounding only needs to be done on the pots, but that doesn't seem right to me, so what i am wondering is do i just drill a hole to where the stud would go, and the run a wire there solder it to the stud, then install the stud? Thanks for the help

That's pretty much the way I do mine except for I don't solder it, I wrap it around the stud with shielding tape, or run it into the studhole and make a little ball with the shielding tape, making sure that my stud will bottom out hard against it...

yeah drak's suggestion is how it is done.instead of putting the wire in the bottom of the hole though you can just run it flat against the side of the hole.when you insert the stud it will be extremely tight and will make a good ground.any solder you use would probably break off when you inserted the stud anyway.