Tune-o-matic On A Teisco

octafish

IIRC the Teisco bridge has a different spacing than most TOM's out there. There was a discussion on this a while back and we discovered at least 3 different stud spacings between us on our different model Tiesco's. Check your post spacing and then check around to find a TOM that fits.

Before you do that though check this site out:

Teisco Twangers

If you can't find it on there then it doesn't really exist.... :D

If I'm not mistaken, MOST (not sure if this applies to ALL) Teisco bridges don't have Studs. The bridge on mine doesnt. It just screws directly to the top of the guitar. If this is the case with your guitar, then I'll assume that you want to try and attatch a TOM bridge directly to the top of the guitar body. I'm personally not sure about this - I mean, I'm sure you COULD run a couple of screws down through the holes, but you have to remember that the standard 'ABR-1' TOM bridge has a curved bottom contour, so it would dig into the wood if you did this without compensating for that. You'd also have no way to adjust the height of the bridge itself without shimming it or something.

But then again I may have completely misunderstood your question, which is more than likely.

If I'm not mistaken, MOST (not sure if this applies to ALL) Teisco bridges don't have Studs. The bridge on mine doesnt. It just screws directly to the top of the guitar.

I'll disagree with that. I've got 4 Teisco's here.....3 have studs (basically threaded rod) that the TOM slips on and is height adjusted by a threaded washer and one has a compensated saddle which is attached differently (plated mounted on a flexible bar).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but a TOM or TOM style bridge (like the ABR-1) is a bridge that has both individual saddle (or intonation) adjustments and height adjustment via the posts on the side of the bridge. See link:

TOM

If a bridge is solidly mounted to the guitar and is not height adjustable via the studs it is not a TOM. The ABR-1 you refer to IS a TOM (Gibson style) and is NOT screwed directly to the guitar but mounted on the adjustable studs as shown here:

ABR-1

There are many newer and more adjustable versions out there but a TOM is a TOM and is not screwed directly to the guitar. That would negate the whole purpose of the bridge in itself.

Now, back to the original question.....you could just buy a TOM from Stew-Mac (or any Euro or Australian supplier - Perry/rhoads56 probably has them) and get it to fit and sit properly so you can adjust the intonation and action and make your guitar playable. The other option is eBay which often has original Teisco parts available. Check out the link I posted originally and find your guitar in the pics, then you will know what bridge it is supposed to have. When mounting the bridge please make sure you know the correct scale length of your guitar and mount the bridge in the proper location.

Well it turns out that:

1) My guitar isn't a teisco (or at least isn't a classic tiesco ie. its from the knockoff period) (Its strat shaped with two pickups)

and

2) The TOM does not drop straight onto the posts on my guitar. (That I didn't even bother to measure the distance between the posts and compare them to a TOM before posting is testament to my stupidity)

To clarify, my guitar doesn't have posts that go directly into the body, instead there is a flat bar that screws onto the body and at either end of this bar there are posts with height adjustment.

This guitar has no manufacturers markings at all. I got frustrated trying to identify its maker online so I took it to two local guitar stores, both guys said they thought it was a Tiesco, although one of them did say he thought it was a later less desirable version.

Well it turns out that:

1) My guitar isn't a teisco (or at least isn't a classic tiesco ie. its from the knockoff period) (Its strat shaped with two pickups)

and

2) The TOM does not drop straight onto the posts on my guitar. (That I didn't even bother to measure the distance between the posts and compare them to a TOM before posting is testament to my stupidity)

To clarify, my guitar doesn't have posts that go directly into the body, instead there is a flat bar that screws onto the body and at either end of this bar there are posts with height adjustment.

This guitar has no manufacturers markings at all. I got frustrated trying to identify its maker online so I took it to two local guitar stores, both guys said they thought it was a Tiesco, although one of them did say he thought it was a later less desirable version.

Exactly what I thought. I have one of those also - a crappy Teisco-wannabe (knockoff of a knockoff? :D )

You should be able to find a bridge on eBay easily - if its not there, wait a couple of weeks and there should be one. I had a couple sitting around but they're gone now :D

You could also drill for a normal TOM and have the added flexibility, but if your guitar is like mine, its only about an inch thick B)

"only abouth an inch thick" -exactly and plywood at that.

I toying with building a slightly thicker 1 1/2 inch thick solid wood body, if I do that I'll definately use the TOM untill then I'll trawl the 'bay.

That's basically what I'm planning on doing, but it will be a COMPLETE rebuild. New body, new neck, etc. The only things I'm keeping are the pups, the switches (love the 1-switch-per-pup setup), the knobs, and the tremelo (I may opt for a new repro Kay trem from the Bay since mines so darn ugly. Anyone know the best way to paint a metal trem cover?) The sound of the guitar itself is amazing, So I'm just going to drop everything into a nice mahogany body and add an adjustable TOM :D

Exactly what I thought.

OK, color me curious. How is it or what was it that mde you think that's "exactly" what he had from the info given? He said he had a Teisco yet you "exactly" thought it was a knock off? I'm confused or you're in posession of some supernatural powers. :D

Lemme grab my crayons....

Its basically because I have no real experience with "real Teiscos", so, being my dumb self, simply assumed that his bridge was like the ones on both my guitar and the guitar my father owned back in the day.