soldering iron/gun suggestions

gcr108

I am probably only going to put pickups into a few guitars, anyone have any suggestions on what kind of tool I should get and what material/solder I should use?

I have some limited experience with a soldering gun, but really have no clue as to what I would need to use for this job.

I am putting in 2 humbuckers with 2 vol, 2 tone and 3way into a hollow body Univox Effie because one of the originals is trashed...

Thanks for any help...

get one that is at least 30 watts.

let it warm up all the way before using it.

when you are wiring let the gun reheat after every few joints you solder because the heat dissipates into the stuff you are soldering and the iron has to be really hot before you do the grounds to the volume pot.

and be sure to tin your pots before you solder to them.

oh and be careful not to burn up your wiring,pots,or fingers.(i have burns on my fingers as you read this.)

one last thing.be very careful where you leave your iron sitting.they have a habit of burning anything they touch

Make sure you use rosin core solder NOT acid core! The acid will slowly attack every thing around it and your wiring will break down after a while. Acid is used for plumbing I believe and should not go anywhere near electronics.

Get an Antex iron if you don't want to get the more expensive transformer based irons. I bought an antex 25 years ago, after wasting money on several cheap irons which only lasted a week, and it's still working perfectly with its original tip!

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I was told never to use a soldering 'gun'...trigger type, looks like a gun. I have one and used it for years as my soldering tool. BUT, there is a transformer built into the gun that can 'degauss' the magnets in your pickups. So, use a soldering 'iron' around your guitar. I used my neighbors one for my guitars...finally broke down and spent my 10 bucks at Radio Shack. :D Good luck.

The best to use is the soldering stations made by Weller among others. They are specially designed for doing work around sensitive electronics and have accurately controlled temperature. The iron itself is driven from a transformer which is properly sheilded so as not to radiate interference. (The older ones radiated like mad and caused huge errors on transmission networks I was working on at the time). They can be quite expensive though but you will never have to buy another one!

Keith

also....use this type

not the brand the type(stick iron or pencil gun...same thing)

Weller is THE soldering iron to get. Having burned up countless clones and crappy Sears models, Weller is the only choice. They simply do not die!

I would not invest in a more expensive Weller soldering station though. What I would do is go to a Tandy/Radio Shack and get Solder, a Solder sucker bulb, and a soldering iron holder that has the little wet sponge at the base. It pays to use a good clean tip before every solder. Just wipe the hot tip on the wet sponge to clear off any goo, "pre tin" the tip with a load of fresh solder and you're ready to rip.

If you are just getting started, you could get a cheaper pencil type soldering iron and just plan on replacing it after a while. Radio Shack has a decent one I'm sure. It'll be cheaper than a Weller, but the quality will show after a while.

DO NOT USE A SOLDERING GUN these are very diffcult to use and dont give good results use a soldering iron 30 watt should do use normaly solder and make sure all joints/welds are shiny if not get a solder pump remove the solder and then resolder the joint. just rember to use flux core and dont bother with an epensive one unless u are plaing on solder miro chips and other small heat sentive eletronic item the ones in guitar are nt that heat sentive.