Tele bridge pickup, footprint

Jehle

I have a love hate relationship with Tele Bridge pickups. I love the sound that they have, but I hate that huuuuuuuge bottom plate that they have.

Is there a pickup made that has the same characteristics of the pickup (the short squat single coil) with a more reasonable strat single coil footprint (two screws, top and bottom)?

Should I get a tele pickup and hack it to bits?

Should I just not bother and deal with the more tinny sounding strat pickup?

The angle has a little to do with the sound and tone of the pickups as well. Are you mounting it in something other then a Tele bridge?

Yep. I'm not using a tele bridge at all. I just would like to use that pickup for its tone.

I could always do a rear route and put a back plate on the guitar, but that's a lot of wood to remove. Sure, I could do that, but I was just wondering if I could route a smaller hole on the top side of the body and plop it in there. Which brings me back to the idea of using the pickup, but to just carve it down to a smaller size.

My best option at the moment is to rear route with a bog standard tele pickup. I just wondered if y'all had any other ideas that I could use.

When it comes to DiMarzio simular Strat pickups in comparison to the Teles here's what I found:

Fast Track T is the same as the Fast Track

The Chopper T is the same as The Chopper

Twang King Bridge is pretty close to a Red Velvet

Those are the closest matches I could find bro.........

When it comes to DiMarzio simular Strat pickups in comparison to the Teles here's what I found:

Fast Track T is the same as the Fast Track

The Chopper T is the same as The Chopper

Twang King Bridge is pretty close to a Red Velvet

Those are the closest matches I could find bro.........

Thanks Brian. Sorry for not answering this sooner. I had a peek at the Dimarzio site yesterday, and I think you are right. The Red Velvet seems to be a hybrid between the strat and tele pickups.

I think that's the one I'm going to go for. It'll probably buzz since it's a single coil, but I don't care. Tone is what I'm after.

If anyone has a link to a sound clip of what this pickup sounds like, please post it here. I'd love to know what I'm getting before I blindly buy one.

Thanks!