Fiber Optic Sidemarkers Tutorial

4nkam

it would also be good to see how you've attached the fibres to the led...is it just a case of bunching them together & putting heatshrink over them?

I've got some cable on order to do some markers. As I'm making the neck from scratch I was going to drill the holes at an angle...creating oval markers & preventing the need for a tight curve under the board. Can you foresee any problems with that?

it would also be good to see how you've attached the fibres to the led...is it just a case of bunching them together & putting heatshrink over them?

I've got some cable on order to do some markers. As I'm making the neck from scratch I was going to drill the holes at an angle...creating oval markers & preventing the need for a tight curve under the board. Can you foresee any problems with that?

STill checking out the pix :D

Yeah, the fiber strands are bunched together using several pieces of heat shrink tubing so you have a very tight/stiff endpoint. Once that is done, I take a dremel sanding disc and sand down the end so it is nice and flush/even. Doing this will make sure your LED's light shines through nicely. The LED itself, you can just slide a piece of 5mm heat shrink tubing over the end of it. I tend to make this a bit longer, say an inch or so, and that allows you to simply slide the strand bunch into the tubing over the LED.

You're gonna do the sidemarkers at an angle? I don't really see any issues with that as long as you leave the strands sticking out of the fretboard, then sand them down flush with the board.

Another thing I have wanted to try is to run a piece of sideglow fiber optic up the fretboard and then just use straight endglow strands to each sidemarker.

• 4 weeks later...

Im wanting to scallop frets 15-22 on a neck, but i would also like to try this LED thing. Is this going to be possible or will it cause problems because the scalloping might would be to deep for the fiber optics to run down through the neck?

If the scalloping wouldnt work with the LED project, could i scallop just the treble side of the frets and run all the Fiber Optics down the bass side of the fingerboard? or is there a reason the fiber optics must run down the treble side of the neck?

I really wouldnt mind seeing a wiring diagram for the LED so i can be sure of what im doing... (im a beginner at all of this!)

Edited by ethan073

• 2 weeks later...

Ethan,

The bundle is run down the treb side because the fiber is very delicate, and will break if you try and bend it too sharply. The run on the treb side gives the most room to bend.

If you can do this with scallops will depend on how deep the scallops are, and how thick the fretboard is, and how deep you route the channels. With the fiber in hand, you can see how deep the route would need to be, and go from there.

This sounds very dangerous unless you've scalloped before, and know how to do it properly, and with a consistent depth.

Great tut- Thanks for taking the time. I'm also curious to see a pic of the bundle coming out the fretboard to the guitar body.

Edited by postal

• 1 year later...

ok, a few questions. where do you put the led that lights the fiber optics? inside the control cavity? i really dont get things unless there is a picture. also, do you just run the ends of the fiber optics to the led? i think thats what it meant right? run them to the led, and shrink wrap it covered? some things just dont make sense to me.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I don't know if there are still people interested in this project, but I'm doing a variant on this one:

-Replacing the sidemarkers like in this tutorial

-Installing LED's in the fretmarkers

-Repainting my guitar body

I will create a new topic with pictures & some explanation if needed.

You can see my progress so far on my facebook album:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110450&id=1410014300&l=d883e65066

the comments are in dutch but like I said, if there is interest in this I will create new topic here.

Yorick

• 7 months later...