Guitar Of The Month For November

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't quite understand why Matt only has 7 votes, his guitar is flawless and beautiful.

Y'all must really really really like inlays and camo or sumpin'. :D

But then, that's the nature of the PG contests, it's a free-for-all every time. :D

This is one reason I wish the voting was hidden from view until it's all over, I think when a runoff starts to form, the rest of the voters are prone to vote between those two and everyone else gets left behind, which is a function of people seeing the already-cast votes. If they were completely hidden from view, and no commenting until it was all over, I bet the results would be pretty different.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the statistics of the poll hidden from the voter until after they vote?

peace,

russ

EDIT:

I just checked on that. You can't see the statistics until you vote. That means you can't be influenced by current votes. You could, however, be influenced by the posts in the thread, but I certainly hope that most of us are beyond the point where peer pressure influences our decisions(although something tells me many of PG's members are not). And truth be told, matt would have had my vote were it not for the LP; I'm just not big on superstrats and the like(although his execution looks to be flawless).

Another point I'd like to make is that it seems to be in poor taste to win the crowd over with hype.

Edited by thegarehanman

thegarehanman: That kind of flame isn't uncommon, insofar as figured wood of that quality per se is common, anyway :D I got that top from Dave Dyke, who's great at finding that special piece of wood for that special project. It's closer to a hard maple in terms of hardness and workability, perhaps a touch softer; it doesn't have the kinds of figures you see in soft maples.

I just don't think Matt's guitar is on par with some of the others. Flawless? Maybe, although I would have liked to see the bridge studs placed back farther so the bridge had more meat on the studs. The saddles are pulled back pretty far, too. The shape is just a little off to me. It's a little gangly. But it's certainly something to be proud of. Just not a vote getter in this group.

It's really a toss up between the rest. I love the RW neck LP. That's almost exactly how I'd make a Les Paul for myself, with good woods and a dramatically improved neck joint. The Swede makes a fine guitar, too. Perhaps not as dazzling as the rest, but that's not his fault. Perry finally did something that I can say is worthy of a vote. In the past I always witheld my vote from Perry because I judged him against himself. So a typical superstrat with fancy woods wasn't enough from him. His recent entries were very "Jackson custom shop" influenced. I'm sure they're better, and I'd rather have an Ormsby than a Jackson any day, but since he's won G'sOTM in the past, I want something new from him. So this month he delivered, by showing his first airbrush guitar. He gets mega extra points for trying something for the first time AND having it come out perfect. I know someone has talent when their first attempts at things are 100% successes. And I'll be darned, it still looks like something right out of the Jackson catalog.

If Mattia hadn't found worm holes in his top, my vote would have gone to Perry. That inlay is great, and the spirit of the guitar is great. It represents overcoming obstacles. It represents taking life's tragedies and not just living with them, but turning them into triumphs. It repres...Oh whatever it's a cool guitar. Even though some of the execution doesn't match Perry's, I had to vote like I always do, on the whole thing. Like if Perry made that guitar, it would've had a cleaner body binding line, without the angles and such. But I don't hold the cavity covers against mattia. I personally don't like flame maple as a back cover. And I don't like the angle that narrows it either. I prefer a straight rectangle. But he can just as easily put a plastic strat cover on later.

I don't think people are influenced by 'peer pressure' per se, but I do think folks are swayed by comments in the thread below the poll - I know my vote has sometimes been a dead heat between 2 or 3 instuments which I think deserve equal credit, and on those occasions I've tended to vote for the one which I think has recieved least votes already - based on the comments below the poll.

I doubt I'll do it that way in future - often the posts and the poll are quite different, and a number of times I've voted, and then though '*** - why is nobody voting for X guitar?!' In future, if I really can't pick a definate front runner I'll probably abstain.

And, erm, pickguards? Not that functional on carved top guitars :-D

Tell that to Les Paul!

Which is what I finally realized was bugging me about the Xlr8's LP --he "forgot" the pickguard!

Still, I would have forgiven him if he'd have used P90s...I'm a sucker for P90s!

And looking over the entries, I realized that SwedishLuthier's PRS has 'em! So he gets my vote...like that black on blue color scheme, looks like a fun guitar to play too.

But yeah, they're all really well done guitars---the details are great, love the 'battle-worn' hardware on the WOMD, and of course Mattia's inlays (even though I wouldn't want em on one of my own --unless of course you can inlay a pickguard :D )

My criteria for voting is now and has always been "Which guitar would I want to own?" This is the rare occasion when the answer has been "any of them." But ultimately, I love the WOMD. The aged hardware, the cool cammo/metal plate finish, the tricked out bomb control cavity. I've never seen that before, and that's one of the little things that got it my vote.

But there isn't one of them I wouldn't want to own.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I ALWAYS vote before reading the comments, mainly because I don't want to be biased, and I want to see if anyone else picked up on stuff that I saw.

But Drak does raise a good point...it would be cool to hide the posts until the voter has voted. Now who here could code that...??? :D

I don't quite understand why Matt only has 7 votes, his guitar is flawless and beautiful.

Y'all must really really really like inlays and camo or sumpin'.  :D

But then, that's the nature of the PG contests, it's a free-for-all every time.  :D

This is one reason I wish the voting was hidden from view until it's all over, I think when a runoff starts to form, the rest of the voters are prone to vote between those two and everyone else gets left behind, which is a function of people seeing the already-cast votes. If they were completely hidden from view, and no commenting until it was all over, I bet the results would be pretty different.

Thanks Drak, I appreciate it and value your opinion a lot. I never said my guitar was the best in the world, it's just a guitar that I built, put a lot of time into, and built it from scratch up, from design phase till finish. Just because the majority of the people on PG don't care for it, it's ok with me, I'm not going to quit building just because someone didn't care for something I did. Hey, I'm not ashamed of the guitar at all, and learned tons of new stuff that will make even my next guitar that much better. Some things I've learned is: my black epoxy grain fill method really brings out the grain 10 fold, even more than I thought.. and I learned that taking a good photo is half the battle since GOTM is only judged by photos. No two people see things the same way, or have the same taste. Some like pointy guitars, some don't, some like shiny, some don't, some like pickguards, some hate them, etc. So what. It's only in the eyes of the beholder. Some persons gold is another persons dirt.

I think everyone who entered this months competition did a great job and Perry, Mattia deserve to be right up there, because their guitars was excellent and I give them all the credit in the world. You know, it's so easy to sit back and be critical of every little thing you don't like about someones guitar, but at least give them some credit, because they are doing what they love, building guitars and not just talking about building them. No matter who wins GOTM; Perry or Mattia, they are both winners in my eyes, both of them made a beautiful guitar in their own right, even though neither of them are even close to being the same design. Congrats and good luck to both of you!! Also, I want to thank everyone who voted for my quote "gangly" guitar!

peace...

Matt Vinson

Matt,

The fact is your guitar is flat out killer, as are the other guitars in this GOTM. The choice for me is really tuff and honestly it may just come down to leaning very slightly tward one or the other. If yours rates 9.55, guitar B=9.54, and C=9.96 (its a tight pack).

Peace,Rich

Like I said, that JV-1 was at the top of my list --nice simple wood for a change (I'm getting really tired of all that flamed bookmatched maple), excellent color choice and finish job.

But the same people who get all wet n' squishy over a little flamed maple are also the same type to drool over Mattia's inlays and the WOMD's over-the-top concept, (not that either of those are bad) so there ya go.

Anyway, this is why I suggested once that at the end of the year, all of the GOTM winners from the year should have the right to choose the guitar from their month that they think SHOULD have won --and let us vote for that. Call it the 'Winner's Choice Award'

Edit: Oh yes! Looks like there's gonna be a showdown in December! Ormsby v. LGM! No holds barred!

Well, looks like GF is gonna need a title change to 'GOTM 2x loser' and shamefully so. You're doing very impressive and classy work Matt! This JV-1's finish should be called 'Blood Burst', it's a great lookin guit-fiddle and with the pickup selection bet it's a very dimensional player.

Be proud!

Edit: Oh yes! Looks like there's gonna be a showdown in December! Ormsby v. LGM! No holds barred!

Ummm, sorry to crash your party idchy, but I'll also be in the December GOTM, and I'm gonna storm the GOTM castle BIG time :DB):D

...also, as an aside note, I entered my Floyd Bird in the GOTM awhile back, and it sank like a rock, but that guitar absolutely KILLS the two guitars that I won on, there's no comparison...so go figure... :D

I just might throw my hand in then as well, don't know yet, just experimenting w/ finishes for the time being. Its going to be a refin of "from scratch guitar #2". I never did like the finish on that one, just wanted to play the damn thang. :D This is my practice guitar for trying different finishes. I've had about 8 different goes at it so far, getting pretty efficient at the guitar stripping part. :D But I've settled on a solid color with black burst which I will be calling the "Master of Reality" SG.

Edited by Southpa

Ummm, sorry to crash your party idchy, but I'll also be in the December GOTM, and I'm gonna storm the GOTM castle BIG time  :D  B)  :D

Dammit you guys, don't you realize I have enough pressure with school without having to pick from among three of the best builders I've seen? :D