EMG pickups

sinister

hey there,

im doing up an esp h301 at the mo, and wana upgrade the pickups from the basic HZ's. i was thinking about gettin an 81 and 85. would i be better off jst getting the zakk wylde set? also, would the 89 be suitable? im not sure.

also, does anyone know where the cheepest place is to buy EMG's from?

many thanks

the zw set is cheaper but keep in mind it is prewired so you will have to unsolder some parts.but the real emgs(active)are a great improvement over the hz.as far as the cheapest place they are all about the same but you have to call around as they are not allowqed to list prices.expect to pay abou $180-$200

I got a ZW set, but it did not come with a 3 way switch. It had the 2 pickups, 4 long and 4 short pots and the output jack and the wiring. I was wondering if it should have come with a switch. Oh well, still haven't put 'em in anyway. Too much to do and not enough time. :D

Hi, the 89 sounds basically like the 85 but has the ability to be coil split. It's the only one that EMG makes with this possibility. The ZW set isn't prewired and doesn't come with the toggle switch. I'm on my 3rd set and they all come unassembled with schematics to do several different configs. Also if they don't have your setup on the directions the website has some also, and lastly, you can call the techs at the number provided with the set and they'll help you out. They're really cool and know just about everything about their pickups. Depending on the sound your going for you might want to look into the 60 for the neck position. It gives you a little more high end and a little less mid so you almost get a strat type sound out of the neck pickup. What type of music do you play and what sound are you looking for?

Sorry to post again. The best deal you'll find on most EMG's is ebay. I've gotten two of the ZW sets for about 135$ including US shipping. Invidual pickups usually run about 60-70$ a pop on Ebay.

i'm sorry i was unclear .partially prewired.the volume and tone pots are wired together and the jack is wired.and you are correct i had a brainfart on the switch.it came in on the same day as the zw set for my v and i mixed them up almost imediately.i got the 3 way from stewmac.but anyway it is a cool combination.if you go with an 89 you will have to have an extra switch for the coil split.

well, i have a strat, so my esp is my main guitar, i want a good warm clean sound and a heavy distorted sound in all the positions. so idont want it to sound straty. im currently using a marshall tsl 602, which has a huge sound.

another question is the my esp has a "mega-swith" which is a 5 way switch, but the guitar only has 2 humbuckers. would the 81 and 85 (seperate or in the zakk set) be compatible with this?

You would not *need* to replace the switch, regardless of if you buy the zw set or separate pickups, but it's a good idea, since a 5-way switch with only two pickups means two dead spots. Oh, it'll be more obvious where to solder which cables.

You would not *need* to replace the switch, regardless of if you buy the zw set or separate pickups, but it's a good idea, since a 5-way switch with only two pickups means two dead spots. Oh, it'll be more obvious where to solder which cables.

yeah what he said.but i would replace it.

I haven't bought anythink from that BeavisDog guy, but his auctions seem to be pretty legit. Check for Midwest guitars and pickupsrus (although their US shipping was a little high. I've bought from both these on more than one ocassion. Both sell new, factory sealed products that are well packed and get there in a timely manor. Sounds like the ZW set may be your best bet. Or even 2 81's if you want really high output from both pickups. The 85 is a little bit more bassy and laid back compared to the 81, which doesn't have a whole lot of low end and just screams. Hope this helps. Wes is right one tone and one volume are wired together right out of the box but they're no big deal to seperate to customize your setup.

ok, but i still dont undersatnd. my sep h301 is equipped with 2 EMG-HZ's, but it has a 5 way 'mega switch' which gives me a great range of tones, so surely he wiring for other EMGs are not different form the HZ's as these are the most basic of the EMG humbuker range?

i really dont wanne lose the 5 way switch cos its a great feature on the guitar

The switch itself does nothing to your tone. The only thing it does is it selects which pickups to use. Since ESP uses 5-way switches for 2 HZs, I guess they can be coil split. Except for the 89, the active EMGs cannot be coil split, so you'll only have use for three positions on the switch (one pickup, both pickups, or the other pickup).

if you want to keep the 5 way you need dual 89s.the sounds like an 85 in full operation and an sa in half mode.but they are more expensive.but most people prefer an 81 at the bridge.ultimately it is your choice.

think of it this way.the 81 and 85 have two coils which are permanantly connected so you can only use it as a humbucker.the 89 has the extra feature of seperate coils and an extra wire so you can hook it up to use both coils or just one.

I just built a guitar with an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck position. I use it with a Marshall valvestate amp and it delivers a mean growling thick distortion sound. I plugged in my Ibanez which has the stock pickups (Steve Vai) and it sounds much weaker.

I know there are groups of players who criticize the EMG actives, but for the style of music I enjoy playing, they are excellent. I'm not a metal head but I really like George Lynch's sound and music. The EMG's are able to get me close to that sound (80's George Lynch). I had been searching for a great thick and full of harmonic type of distortion and could not get it with an amp or pedal (I tried just about every pedal and many amps). As soon as I plugged in my new guitar with the EMG's, I knew my search was over.

If you're still considering the EMG 81/85 option, I can tell you it worked out great for me. The 85 in the neck position does allow a blues type sound when playing down at the lower end of the neck but I mainly switch to it when playing up high and it is crystal clear and beautiful.