Where Can I Find A Bit Like This

dirtyrobinson

example.

I use THREE different bits for humbucker routs. 1 x small, 1 x medium, 1 x long. All set up in three different routers. A good set lasts me a LONG time. However, i purchased a cheap set six weeks ago, and ive done six hunmbucker routs since then, and the bits are already burning. I probably got 35-40 routs out of the last set before i sharpened them, and even then they didnt burn. Cost difference?? $32 vs $47.

Oh, and one of the cheap ones had both blades come flying off, and tore into a nice figured veneer top. Nice huh?

if you read the descriptions they're the exact same router bits except grizzly's is green

:D

The color is not the only difference. Trust us, (some) of us know what we are talking about....

If you want one SLIGHTLY cheaper, but still worth using, check out CMT bits: http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtround.htm

But yeah. Buy good bits. This is ESPECIALLY EXTREMELY true for long large-diameter bits (like a great big roundover bit) - you can squeak by with not-great bits on short narrow ones, but big ones, forget it.

Put simply: Grizzly is not known for high quality. Some of their higher end stationary tools are apparently very good value, and they do make good tools, but they're certainly not a recognized, high-quality name in the cutter industry. I mean, Grizzly bandsaw vs. Minimax (ie, rebranded Italian saw, most of the time)? Minimax wins. But also costs a lot more.

For router bits, you can find 'carbide tipped' bits quite easily, at fairly low prices. But not all carbide is created equal or applied in the same way, not all bits are sharpened equally well, not all specs are adhered to as tightly as possible. The larger the bit, the more dangerous at full spin, and the slightest imbalance can have disatrous effects. You pay for expertise and quality, and a 'big name' like Grizzly certainly is NOT highly specialized in much of anything.

For the record: Freud, Whiteside, CMT bits are what I consider 'top end'. Whiteside and Freud are (IIRC) US-made bits, and CMT is a highly respected, top quality Italian manufacturer (to the best of my knowledge). Italian small industry/tool industry is still some of the best in the world for high-end stuff, witness 9 out of 10 'boutique' bandsaws being built there, rebadged, and sold the world over.

I use a 7/8" CMT for my necks....then LOTS of sanding after that. The bit is great.

They also make a bit called a Table Edge bit, which has a compound radius, more like a quarter of an oval. That one might get you closer to a finished neck back contour than a straight roundover bit. Still pricey, but that's the deal.

I've been using CMT bits (it's what my local guy carries) almost exclusively for 12 years now, they last forever and are almost damn indestructible.

The only time I've ever worn one out prematurely was on that damned Purpleheart, hollowing out a body, tore holy hell out of that poor bit, which otherwise would have lasted for 10 years probably. Gotta have that one resharpened now.

CMT is Good Good stuff.

I love smartassy answers that provide absolutely no information while making the poster feel better about his tiny little... anyway...

The bits may look the same, but the difference is inside. High quality bits are forged from high quality metal that is selected for its durability. Cheap bits are made from whatever crap is sitting around. The material may not be the proper hardness which will lead to either the bit shattering or dulling incredibly fast. Coatings on cheap bits tend to wear away faster due to the lower quality.

You can either spend an assload of money on a whole lot of cheap bits, then spend another assload after they all wear out in a few months. Or you can spend a slightly larger asslod on bits that will last your for a few years with proper maintenance.

Over time, you'll save by buying the more expensive one now.