Guitar Of The Month For January

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till midnight EST the 22nd of December then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you

The First Hack 8 String Bass:

GOTM1.jpg

Specs:

-3" Thick Chambered White Limba body with Curly Bubinga Top and Back with wenge accent layers

-Curly Bubinga fretboard, abalone top and side dots, mandolin frets

-7 piece maple/wenge thru-neck

-24 frets, 35" scale

-two dual-action truss rods, 3 graphite reinforcement rods

-B E A D G C F A# tuning with string gauges: .128, .105, .85, .65, .45, .29, .20, .16

-Matching wood control cavity cover and pickup shells

-Ziricote barrel knobs with 3/32" abalone dots

-Nordstrand Fat Stack 8 Pickups

-Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp

-Electronics: Channel 1/2 volume and blend (big knobs), passive tone, bass, mid, treble with switches for channel selection, coil tapping, preamp bypass and midrange frequency selection (400 Hz/800 Hz)

-Sperzel locking tuners

-ETS Tuning Fork Monorail Bridges

-Danish Oil/Wax finish

HackBass1.jpg

DSC06545.jpg

Full body.

Playing the bass.

Aihe = Dolphin in Maori.

I was going to wait for things to calm down, but the quality of the work pouring through the site is overwealming, so if I don't post now I never will!

This is my first instrument.

It's an acoustic guitar which I made for a school project, I designed it around a Dreadnought cut-away and added my own things to personalise it.

SPECIFICATIONS:

- European Maple neck, back, sides and binding.

- Sitka Spruce top.

- Rosewood detailings such as bridge, neck laminates and purfling.

- Rosewood fingerboard.

- Paua inlay.

- Gotoh tuners.

- Bone nut and saddle.

- B-Band pickup and preamp.

I made the guitar over 6months and then at the end of that time I had to write a 15,000 word thesis to the teachers, and do a 1hour presentation as to how I did it, to over 200 people.

The guitar sounds great, its more favourable for rythm work and has a massive projection. The pick-up also sounds great. I am really happy with this instrument and look forward to making my next one.

This is how it beganMaterials

Whole Guitar...

Finishedproject007.jpg

Back...

Finishedproject030.jpg

Soundboard...

Finishedproject025.jpg

Soundhole and Bridge...

Finishedproject035.jpg

Headstock has an interpretation of a dolphin inlayed into it. My Maori family symbol is a dolphin.

Here's my latest HiTone Classic

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is my third Classic model I've built, the second semi-hollowbody and...

...my first guitar case from scratch.

classic_mock_03.jpg

Specs:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- 3-peice maple neck

- Maple Fretboard with black dots

- Birch top/back/side

- Basswood center block

- Maple Veneer binding (works great)

- Black lacquer finish

- Green stained headstock with masked design

- 1 humbucker wired with a 1 volume and 1 tone

- The design on the body and headstock was done by masking off the design.

You can see some detail images on the finish link below.

Detail Photo Galleries

Build pics HERE

Finishing pics HERE

Case Building pics HERE

DSC01377.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01369.jpg- -

Additional Links

HiTone Classic

HiTone Blog

My last project was the Odd Boy, a collection of leftover parts and junk, that resulted in a pretty darn good guitar for $150.

Now, here's a pretty darn good guitar for $15 -- Project Cigar Box Guitar.

Made from:

* One paper over 1/4" Oak cigar box

* Neck through 2-piece Red Oak neck (rip cut and reglued to counter warping).

* Neck tapers from 1 1/2" at body to around 1 1/4" at the nut.

* Neck profiled to a "U" shape with a simple roundover bit.

* Flat radius fretboard.

* 28 1/8" string scale (same as the Odd Boy).

* Hand rubbed gunstock oil and wax finish on the neck only.

* No truss rod

* Used frets pulled from some long forgotten pawn shop guitar

* Three crappy tuners from a 99 cent eBay auction (since there's only 3 used, that's 50 cents worth on the tuners :D )

* Brass "nut" made from a machine screw from Ace hardware.

* 3 strings tuned B B E, or A B E. Technically, it's half a guitar using the 5th, 2nd and 1st strings.

Ladies and gentleman... I give you the "Arturo Fuente Curly Head Deluxe" Cigar Box Guitar.

arturo0.jpg

Close up of the cigar box body.

arturo1.jpg

Close up of the brass nut and headstock with the 2 and 1 tuning machine arrangement.

arturo2.jpg

Close up looking down the neck. Notice the tailpiece is an old ear ring. The 3 string holes were already there, and the 4th hole for the screw to hold it on the butt just had to be enlarged with a small round file. The bridge is a screw and nut from my junk box. It is held in place just from the tension of the strings pressing down. Yes, this thing is even intonated properly!

arturo3.jpg

Perhaps the most exciting thing about this guitar is that I built it on commission. It's the first guitar that I've built to sell. I actually had a hard time letting it go. :D

Hi!

Here is my third build ever from France: 2tlb #03

It's a tele style guitar with a set neck, rear routing, and 2 humbuckers.

Specs:

Body:

* Alder body, Flame Maple 5mm thick top.

Neck: 5 pieces neck: Flame maple, pear, maple, pear, Flame maple.

* Macassar ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, pearl dot inlays.

* Flame maple headstock overlay.

* Jumbo frets, graphtech nut. Kluson vintage tuners.

Pickups:

* Gibson Burstbuckers.

* Gotoh humbucking tele bridge.

* CTS and CRL electronics. Electrosocket jack plate.

* Strap locks à la Anderson two nickel and a gold one.

* The heel is contoured for easy access to the 22 frets.

* The ferrules were messed up the first time so I drilled sweet ferrules in a brazilian rosewood piece leftover and inlaid that piece into the body. Invisible as the back is black.

* The lacquer is clear with metal flakes in it.

* The neck was sanded in order to feel like a music man one. The back is fat as I like 'em.

* The top was stained with a blue jean and charcoal tint. I decided on a natural binding. I did a matching headstock and inlaid matching macassar stripes on the body.

As I kept building guitars, I improved a lot! This one might my best one can't wait to start the next ones!

Here are the pics:

imgp13775ko.jpg

pict21514kj.jpg

imgp13839qp.jpg

Here are 2tlb #01 #02 and #03:

imgp13984xr.jpg

Regards.

Fred

Edited by De - Fre

Looking at the competition, there's probably not much point - but still....

This is my first from scratch instrument, and I'm totally happy with the way it's turned out :D

Indian rosewood back and sides

Spruce top

Mahogany neck

Indian rose headstock vineer

Ebony bridge

Indian rose board

Bone nut

finishedfinished1.jpg

finishedfinished2.jpg

finishedfinished3.jpg

finishedfinished4.jpg