Green Day..suk?

rokeros

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it just that "im hurting inside" characteristic of there music that todays teens identify with,write a song that talks about A. being individual B. hating your parents or C. how bad life sucks and you'll hit it big because even though its all the same crap, kids eat it up. and if you hadnt guessed, i hate them

My friends dont understand it most of the time, and to be honest neither do I really, but for some reason they annoy me a bit because it really rubs me the wrong way when there is massive 4 page interviews with the green day guy in guitar magazines and he just talks about how they are doing so many more solo's in their songs and stuff. I dunno, but that just irks me, because I don't remember the last time I heard a 'solo' in a green day song. Fair enough that he thinks his band is evolving and he is trying new things (?) as a guitarist, and i respect all they have done, but sometimes its just like they take it a bit far...

Not only that, but the whole spontaneous political agenda and the ridiculously pathetic filmclips (has anyone actually seen the clip for that when november ends song?) just seems annoying. Maybe I am looking at it from the wrong angle, and the fact that they are getting their message out is a good thing... but look at their demographic nowdays... is it really that good of a thing that every second 16 year old is a mis-informed political activist because they listen to green day? Then you have the radio stations heralding them as saviours of oldschool punk just because they are writing songs with political motivations... i mean cmon! they are bubblegum punk :D It's like the PR guy latched onto the latest 'matured' political angst emo protest vibe and is milking the stuff all over everything they've done since.

Still, beleive it or not those are fairly small issues to me that I know I have just blown out of proportion and most people probably dont agree with me on. I actually find some of their songs really catchy and not too bad at all, and as ive said before regarding bands like nickelback... its still 'rock' in one way or another, so if the songs are solid then I would much rather have them on the radio than a lot of other stuff.

:D

- Dan

Personally, I think Green Day is just a bunch of lunatics who got lucky and managed to get famous for no random reason!!

Yeeeeup! :D

They are skilless at guitar, drums, vocals and at make-up :D . Yer, what is it that people love about them that unheard bands nowadays dont have?

My guess is what's making them sell now is the suggested rebelious posture, but those same kids don't realize they actually did sell out and their label is dictating everything they do, I'm certain.

For what it's worth, they opened up for one of my bands back in ~93 at The Stone. They sucked even more then, they've been considerably refined since those days.

I'm not really familiar with their music. If I go buy a CD or guitar mag its usually just to hear or play one song. In that respect, Green Day are just a one-hit-wonder to me. The song Time of Your Life I found very good and the words struck a chord to me. I wonder how much money they made from the use of their song on that Seinfeld TV series episode.

I enjoy Green Day. That being said, when their first album came out I definately didn't think they'd be around 10 years later winning grammies. Is there music, musically speaking simplistic? Well yeah, but then what punk music isn't?

As for the new album? Well, I won't discuss that. You cannot discuss this new album without it leading up to a discussion on politics and the state of society today. So, I won't do it.

WOw I can't believe why you guys are giving so much thought into them, Honestly I enjoy green day but I haven't listened to them or bought anything from them in years. The reason they get attention is because they have been putting out cds for a long time, and considering they are a punk band they are a cut above the rest, not musically speaking but in popularity. Even before green day Billy joe had another band that was similar, and to go from that band to where he is now is actually kinda amazing, his story is pretty cool too, how he got started and his devotion, he just went at lived at Gilman the punk capital of the world and judt worked at it until he got his break, broke and basically homeless, not many people have his devotion or will. And going from the 3 chord band they were to what they play now is a huge difference, rarely will a band be able to change and stay popular, just look at metallica they lose half their fans every album they put out, just because it's not exactly they same as the last one. Also billy joe has a unique voice, nooone said it was amazing, just unique and was very fitting to punk, obviously they are doing something right as they have lasted all this time and are doing better than ever, I wouldn't really call it punk anymore more like ponk a mix of pop and punk, either way it's selling and has been selling which is more than most bands that are or ever will be. ANyone here can list countless unknown bands but how many will make it and how many will be around 10 years from now, maybe one or two tops. I also find it funny that everyone is talking about teens today, Green day has been out for a long time now and their audience is far from just teens of today, I was a young teen when I started listening to them and now I am almost 25, I still like them, I don't freak out and go buy their albums but when I hear a song I enjoy it. Well anyways I just don't see why anyone can think they are lucky, they put in the time and effort and were innovative, their music influenced a lot of music today, not the other way around, and they have consistently put out music that sells and is well liked all over, how can you argue with that? J

All the Rock/Pop/Top40 stuff I know is on the Oldies station now. :D

Now there is a question, when does something become Oldies? I mean I'm hearing the Tragically Hip circa Fully Completely on the Classic Rock station. Hell, they play the new U2 stuff on that station. But I digress...

I have loved green day since basket case. Music simplistic? Well yeah..... thats punk. If it was more complicated it would blur to metal spectrum. Not to mention they have mastered the "hook" required for radio music. 3 chord band....yes they are. But I still like them.

LOL I liked that mix! I had to laugh when I heard it. That really doesn't mean anything, do you have any idea of how many pop song that match up with tempo and chord progression, probably hundreds or more. ANyone could chop up some songs and play them like that. As said before about guitar shapes and music, it's all been done, so using a common chord progression isn't stealing, Oasis probably took it from a band that did it years before them, it's just how music is, you can put your own spins on anything, that doesn't mean you stole it, if you bite their exact lyrics, word for word and don't ask or pay them then you can call it stealing but honestly I just don't think this case is even close. I bet anyone could take any band and say they stole their music, how many times have we seen someone say metallica stole all their music from other people. But really theu didn't they are just using progressions and riffs that are common and have been done and will be done a thousand more times. Anyways thats just how I see that whole idea of people stealing, I bet most of you have songs you made and I bet almost every single one has already been published in some form over the years. J

I absolutely hate their current marketing strategy, and ever time that "Jesus of Suburbia" or "Wake Me up When September Ends" song come on the radio, I practically want to puke.

But hey, there's no accounting for taste.

ooooh please, like it's possible to 'steal' from Oasis. Their entire reputationwas built through wholesale musical plagarism.

IMO Greenday write a catchy tune, are tight, competant players, and blow away 90% of the garabage that gets played on the radio. I won't be rushing out to buy an album anytime soon, but I certainly won't feel I've missed out next time a pop station plays 'boulevard of broken dreams' instead of 'my bumps'....!

This whiney crap about how life sucks has been on for a lot longer than you think. Remember Fade To Black by Metallica? I don't care if that's about someone they knew or not, because the average person wouldn't know.

Green Day is a lot better than other bands out there like Good Charlotte, and Simple Plan. The only thing I dislike about them is they have the same style since they first started. At least the Beatles changed now and then.

-Jamie

They haven't changed because they've found an audience that is making them millions so why would they change? They're not great but neither were the ramones or the sex pistols. They tap into something that everyone can relate to one way or another. I would rather listen to them any day instead of some band like good charlotte or lindsey lohan or any of the other million people who suck but also managed to make it.

Edited by duo2