Shielding paint...

Jupiter

Hello!

I'm about ready to route out the back electronics cavity of my guitar, but i still don't know what i'll do to shield it... i always see that flat black shielding paint inside control cavities... is this the only way to go, or are there alternatives? Would i be able to buy shielding paint at Wal Mart or Lowes, and how much would it cost?

Thanks!!!!!

Ben

You can use copper foil tape which is available at almost all Radio Shack or electronics supply warehouse's but for the most part a small can of the paint like your looking for is found at Stew Mac Part#0029 1/2 pint for $26.44

One day my brother is going to teach me how to make that stuff, he told me it is really simple.

After using both, I've gravitated towards the copper tape.

I've read it is a thicker shield than the paint and I've just grown more used to it.

Something I heard on the 'by and by' is that you can find the copper foil tape at stained glass hobby supply houses for much cheaper than the guitar stores sell it, but I've never actually bought it that way...

By the way, what is the thinner for the shielding paint? I had a jar dry up on me a few years ago, and I don't know what to cut it with to re-liquify it. I still have it, but it's all dried up.

Anybody know? It's the Stew-Mac stuff...

Guest AlexVDL
I read somewhere (can't remember where now- sorry) that some copper foil tape uses non conductive adhesive. This guy who wrote the article recommended using a small solder joint interconnecting all the pieces of foil.

Yep he's right. I always connect every piece of coppertape with a drop of solder. Don't forget to connect the ground wire to the tape too B)

:D

If I had to, I would do that also.

But I take a voltmeter set on resistance, and just check all the different areas with the probes, from the pot shafts to the control cavity, from the output jack cover to the cavity, from the pot shafts to the output jack cover, and all areas of the control cavity, etc. etc...

As long as I'm getting continuity everywhere between everything, I don't see the need to solder the tape. If I ever didn't 'get it', I would certainly do some soldering.

Long story short, if you have a voltmeter, you can possibly save yourself a bit of extra soldering in that dept...I would be a little worried about many little solder blobs in the control cavity, and one day one of them coming off and falling into the 5-way switch or something like that...Just me probably...

There is Carbon based paint which is fine if you use two coats, you can use a hair dryer between coats

Copper tape which isnt easy to get unless you buy bulk works fine if you are not trying to make money doing it.

I get a copper based water paint from Spraylat which works great and is the same as a copper tape but is painted on.

Gotta buy 1 gall min and it isnt cheap

You might be able to get nickel print from an electronics store but it is solvent based so dont get any on the paint or you'll be sorry.

You wont find any of this in Lowes or Hardware stores, best bet is stew-mac.com if you are a DIY

aluminum foil is really good for shielding. you just get some 3m spray adhesive, and lay the foil in very carefully. there is a great step-by-step tutorial on shielding guitars here

have fun

I have read that the heavy-duty freezer aluminum foil is about equal to 1-2 coats of the carbon paint, not as thick as the copper tape.

But that's just stuff I've read in the past, I can't swear to it.

I'd still like to know what to re-liquify my carbon paint with...Naptha? Paint Thinner? Water?

:D

Sweet, thanks for all the tips, guys! I think i'll probably go with the aluminium foil, that sounds like the most ghetto solution.

What was that that somone mentioned about putting the main ground wire touching the foil??? I thought i ran the ground from the back of a pot to the underside of the bridge? What is it that you're suggesting i do?

Thanks again!

Ben

Okay, let me double check to make sure i didn't misunderstand... on the back of my volume pot, i'll have my usual ball of wires from the pickups and such, i'll have my ground wire that runs from the back of the pot to the underside of the bride, and i'll also have another wire that runs from the back of the pot to the wall, right? On the back of the pot, do i make this secondary ground touch the main ground { that goes to the bridge }, or do i keep them seperated?

Thanks!!!!!!

you can save the hassle of 3m spray adhesive and get aluminum tape, it's aluminum foil with adhesive already on the back, available at home depots, hardware stores.

One day my brother is going to teach me how to make that stuff, he told me it is really simple.

According to Dan Erlewine, it's laced with nickel (and probably a few other metals in trace amounts). I wouldn't imagine that there's anything particularly special about, especially if it's "simple" to make...