Volume problem

imikeyi

Hi

I have a Charvel Journeyman electric guitar. When I leave the volume on full, everything is fine. But, when I turn the volume knob down a bit, and then back up again, the whole sound cuts out and then slowly dimms back in again, cuts out 1 or 2 more times and then goes back to normal.. its a strange process that lasts about 10 seconds. It doesn't feel as though the knob is loose or anything.

Anyway I was wondering, do I need to replace something (the potentiometer)? Or is it a problem that can be solved just by cleaning? If the former, can you recommend me a replacement part that will be suitable for such a guitar?

Thanks

Michael

You can get long and short shafted pots so you want to make sure you get the right length. Long shafts are generally for Les Pauls and short ones are for everything else. As for body diameter, most pots should fit in the cavity. I think it's a 500K pot for a hummer but I've been wrong about this before.

The standard for a humbucker is a 500k pot and no they are not all the same, Have a look at yours to determine if you need a long shaft or short, and also the diameter of the shaft can be thick or thin depending on the model of guitar.

You can find more information about the different one's available at Guitar Parts Resource which will also ship internationally :D

Just pull the knob off the shaft and spray it down into the pot. You will want to have a towel or clean rag handy to clean up any overspray before it dry's on the body but thats about it. Spray and twist it back n forth...................

Let it dry (happens quickly) and test it to see if it's better.

Just pull the knob off the shaft and spray it down into the pot
???

What type of pots are you refering to Brian?

You need to spray it into the small gap near where the wires are soldered on. Be careful of contact cleaner though some types tend to leave a residue which attracts all the much you just got rid of and after a few weeks you have a worse problem than before!

Keith

Just pull the knob off the shaft and spray it down into the pot. You will want to have a towel or clean rag handy to clean up any overspray before it dry's on the body but thats about it. Spray and twist it back n forth...................

Let it dry (happens quickly) and test it to see if it's better.

You might have to do it a few times before it's perfect. I haven't had the problem with the cleaner attracting more gunk, but if it does happen--heck, you were ready to replace the darned thing anyway!