Death Of The Brutalizer!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Novice builders (or people who are full of their own egos) never throw anything away, no matter how much of a POS it might be.

Professional Manufacturers throw duds or imperfect specimens away all the time, probably every day, they have customers and respectable reputations to answer to.

It's up to you to figure out where you fall on that curve and how high you set the bar for yourself.

I congratulate you Matt on having the courage to listen to the voice inside you that tells you you could have done better, whatever the problem was with that one, and not try to dress up a stinky pig in a frilly bonnet and say 'look how pretty my pig is everyone'! (while holding your nose the whole time) :D

As far as documenting a tantrum, it's just for show, to share something funny with you guys, but I guess you don't want Matt sharing the truth, no matter how honest it can be at times. Better to just hide those facts and just post shiny happy things all the time. That's all you really want to see right, just shiny happy stuff. B)

It is a mark of major progress not to accept crap from yourself any longer, it shows that you are finally acknowledging your own talents and not settling for less than the best you can do anymore, and I congratulate you, you just stepped up to the plate and hammered one clear out of the park my friend, you're going to do just fine. B)

:D:D

I would think it would take a bit more expertise to "get it right" rather than just give up. Manufacturers can afford to toss their "failures" because that has been figured into their bulk costs. I've found there is always a way to salvage a project. Even if it goes past the point of no return for that particular idea it can still be useable for some other idea. You just have to rethink things out.

Edited by Southpa
I've found there is always a way to salvage a project. Even if it goes past the point of no return for that particular idea it can still be useable for some other idea. You just have to rethink things out.

If you're happy with building mediocre guitars (ala 'projects'), maybe that holds some truth, but not if you're building top flight guitars, the best that you can possibly build, and wanting to continually improve yourself as time goes on, that philosophy has no weight.

You have set the bar awfully low for yourself if you accept that way of thinking, you will forever be bound to building project guitars, and if that makes you happy, then that's great too, we all have different goals in mind.

Let me give an analogy to this point: One man could be living in a modest shack because that's where he wants to be, he has no dreams of living in a mansion, and is perfectly content right where he is, there's nothing wrong with that if that makes him happy and he enjoys his modest dwelling.

Another man could be living in a modest shack simply because that's what he can afford at the moment, and it is fine for the time being, but he goes to school, educates himself, marries rich (hehehe), and he continually improves his dwellings time after time after time until he is living in the Quite Sweet Pad by all accounts.

There's nothing wrong with either scenario if you are doing what makes you happy.

Just as I wouldn't badger someone for wanting to live in a modest shack for most of their lives if that's the way they like it, neither would I badger the man who is more than willing to leave the past behind him as he continually pulls himself up and betters himself, and fondly remembers the modest shack, but just as memories only, he's not still living there.

So, I have nothing against people who want to build guitars purely for sport and recreation, that's great and it is an immensly enjoyable pasttime, but neither do I have anything against people who are showing signs of progress, who are willing to no longer settle for what was once OK, who are progressing past where they once were.

It has NOTHING to do with mediocrity. If you have an original design laid out and then cut it wrong I suppose you would just toss it out? Or would you alter your design to accomodate that mistake you made? I can see crucial areas like neck pockets gone wrong etc. that might render a guitar potentially unplayable then maybe that would be something for the fireplace. If it doesn't work then you should be able to make it work. The results aren't better or worse...just different.