Grounding

patman

Grounding the strings has one and only one purpose - to use your body as part of the shielding of the guitar.

Therefore, it is (only) unnecessary when your guitar electronics are 100 percent shielded through other means.

You will be fried long before even the lowest wattage value of resistor opens. The use of a resistor and/or capacitor for string grounding will not protect you.

There is no trick. Gounding the strings is not a bad thing in and of itself.

However, ignoring the proper grounding of your equipment will cause you more harm than any grounding technique used (or not used) on your guitar.

You will be fried long before even the lowest wattage value of resistor opens.
Yes, that's the problem - we haven't been able to design a fuse that blows faster than the human heart! Obviously, since almost all production guitars have had grounded strings since the 50s or earlier, and so many of us are still walking around, this isn't a common scenario, but it does happen. If you're concerned, a wireless will eliminate the risk completely.

A technique I came up with for grounding a TOM type bridge was to wait until the body was finnished and the hardware installed (ok I forgot to put it in!) and then to screw a screw through the body until it came into contact with one of the bridge studs (use a screwdriver not an electric one and you'll feel when its in contact, though its best to check with a multi-meter if you have one), then soldered a lead to the screw (make sure its solderable to BEFORE you use it!). Works a treat and you don't have to worry about the wire falling off when you install the posts or anything like that, if it were ever to work loose you can just tighten it back up agian! I've used it on two guitars now and its worked perfectly.

There's only a shock hazard if you've got equipment thats not got 3 pin plugs or those kind that only let you put them in one way round (donno what they're called 'cos we've only got 3 pin in the UK!).

Just a quick question about the idea of grounding to a coin. My guitar has all the wiring done on the pickguard, similar to a strat I guess. There is a coat of what appears to be a foil, covering the cavity. Should I still use a coin as a ground, or is that what the foil is there for. I'm really new with this stuff, and I don't want to mess anything up. Also, if I do use a coin, where does it go? Do I just place it in the body, or to I solder it also?

To a what now?

wirenut.JPG

We use them all the time in the electrical construction trade. They're not really intended for electronics wiring.

Yes, you could use a wirenut to connect all your ground wires together (Mr. Subliminal is screaming 'hack job' :D ).

However, I'd recommend soldering them onto a washer or something similar - a much cleaner, more permanent, more professional method.

www.guitarnuts.com has some good stuff on grounding and shielding.

Mike