Guitar Of The Month For February

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month as a place showing your creations on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial sites).

If you're a forum member, you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and Download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till midnight EST the 24th of January then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any post that is not an entry will be deleted. Feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagories at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

ORMSBY - GG7 Graham Greene Signature

Alder body, Tiger Myrtle veneer top, qaurtersawn Maple neck with Ebony fretboard

Black Tahitian Pearl and Torquoise inlay of Graham's "logo"

Mega access neck joint.

JB-7 and '59-7 Seymour Duncan pickups, with five way switch

Floyd Rose Original tremolo

SOUND BYTE TO FOLLOW

Client's review:

One of the first things I noticed about Perry’s guitar building talents was his ability to correct inherent shortcomings in classic designs while leaving each instrument’s performance undiminished.

While I have been a 7 string player since 1994, the GG7 is only my second 7 string guitar. My original multi-colour swirl Ibanez UV777 was my first, and has remained my 7 of choice until now. It’s a remarkable instrument so I saw no reason to change, although I played as many as I could get my hands on to see what was around. There were a few things that I noticed about 7 strings - firstly, that it was difficult to get a distinct tone out of the low B string unless you used a gauge similar to a tow rope. Secondly, that intonation could be a problem for the seventh string. I got around this by simply tuning my 7th string a touch flat. I actually added to my own problem by using a relatively light low B (.052).

Enter the GG7. Perry is such a smartass - one of the first things I notice is the clarity of the low B string. The guitar is strung .009 - .052 as per my specs, but the bass end response of the whole guitar is tight and punchy. When I play a few chord riffs, the balance across the strings - all 7 of them - is flawless. Like I said - smartass.

The feel of the neck itself is amazing - we based the feel on my UV777, and took it from there. The 7 neck has the playability of a very good 6, and the fretboard binding/expert fret dressing make it feel like an old friend. The tension is firm enough to give the strings some snap, but with enough ‘give’ to enable some of my favourite weird noises to be produced from directly (or indirectly) abusing the floating tremolo system. Even the extra light .052 low B string was roaring, snarling and squealing with the best of them, and the intonation is perfect on all strings. Smartass.

Now that I think about it, making my wimpy low B sound great just corrected an inherent shortcoming in my design, as well as most 7 strings... I don’t know how comfortable I am with that, but hey...

The body lines are classic, and the subtle combination of the Tiger Myrtle veneer and the transparent deep blue finish worked better than I thought. The heel joint allows unimpaired access to all notes, and the response of the Floyd Rose is everything I need - it makes strange stuff happen, and it stays in tune. This guitar, by the way, while being a bolt-on neck job, has the sustain of a set-neck or a neck-through guitar. Yes, on the low B as well. I put this down to the exactness of the neck/body fit. It is that good that there is very little to impede the vibrations traveling through the join. Bloody marvelous, that.

I found myself ripping through tunes I normally only played on my 6-strings and being amazed at how comfortable it all felt. In the immortal words of Keanu Reeves - "Woah." Shocked

Bloody smartass... He’s done it again. B)

Don’t bother telling him... :D

He knows. :D

Smartass - remember? :D

Graham handed back his endorsement deal with Ibanez (17 years if i remember correctly), to pay for these two guitars. Its pretty special to think someone chooses to BUY my stuff rather than get given freebies from one of the largest guitar manufacturers in the world.

Edited by rhoads56

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

back of headstock

neck joint

ORMSBY - GG6 Graham Greene Signature

Alder body, Flame Anegre veneer top, qaurtersawn Maple neck with Ebony fretboard

Gold Mother of Pearl and Malachite inlay of Graham's "logo"

Mega access neck joint.

JB and '59 Seymour Duncan pickups, with five way switch

Floyd Rose Original tremolo

SOUND BYTE: AMAZING TALES (sample)

Client's review: pending

Graham handed back his endorsement deal with Ibanez (17 years if i remember correctly), to pay for these two guitars. Its pretty special to think someone chooses to BUY my stuff rather than get given freebies from one of the largest guitar manufacturers in the world.

Edited by rhoads56

OK it's now or never, sorry for the pictures, i don;t expect to win, but, well, here it is, i am back in England without a digi cam, so i'll use this pictures :D although all it misses it's strings and a picture with the pot installed, it's an all mahogany neck thur body warlock , it sounds really really GOOD I think it's due to it's massive neck

Specs:

Neck: laminated 3 piece south american mahogany, 46mm at the nut, 58mm at 24th fret

Body: south american mahogany, figured mahogany veneer

Bridge: BC Rich quadmatic

Pickup: Seymour Duncan JB

Fretboard: bound Ebony, Paua abalone diamond inlays, 24 3/4" scale, 24 jumbo frets

sm100_0347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/100_0351.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/100_0347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/62be723e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/100_0352.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/IM000042.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/IM000039.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/IM000019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd...ck/IM000038.jpg

Edited by eddiewarlock

Guess ill throw my latest into the mix. Yea there is an abundance of super strat/ soloists but whatever.

the specs:

Custom Soloist body, semi carved top purple heart

Neck thru, 5 piece Eastern hard rock Flamed Maple and purple heart 1/4 sawn

24 3/4 gibson scale, 22 frets, Ebony board with no inlays

Reverse Purple heart headstock with scarf joint at the first fret

Bone nut, tune o matic with strings thru

2 hunbuckers Duncan JB in the bridge and a Full Shred in the neck

3 way with 1 vol 1 tone

Control cavity cover and truss rod cover made from the same maple as the neck

and the pictures

Body front

Back whole

Headstock

Back close up

MzI

All Santa wants for Christmas...

IMG_0061-764464.JPG

...is a cigarbox ukulele. A Christmas gift for my father-in-law. It made the jolly o'l guy very happy.

This Ukulele or the Tabacco-Uk as I call it is made from a vintage cedar cigar box.

I crafted the neck from mahogany wood and the fret board is a beautiful Cocobolo wood.

It's 13 inch scale and has a mother of pearl oval inlay.

My favorite detail is the fact I got the sound hole cut and still kept the Cremo tobacco man.

Here are some images of the build.

Neck image 01

Neck image 02

Neck image 03

Neck image 04

Neck image 05

IMG_0103-700683.JPG

IMG_0115-785710.JPG

This is my fourth guitar build and my best so far.

Guitar4peghead.jpg

Guitar4neckjoin.jpg

Fourthguitarbackside.jpg

Fourthguitar.jpg

Neck

Walnut/Maple/Purple Heart/Maple/Walnut 3/4 tenon that extends just past the bridge and a Maple fretboard with Paduak fret markers.

The peghead is a modified reverse RG type and the scale is 25".

Body

Top is bookmatched Walnut, center section of back is Poplar with Walnut/Poplar/Mahogany/Maple/Walnut/Poplar/Walnut on each side of it.

The body is down sized from an RG shape.

Finish

Stew Mac Waterbased Lacquer

Electronics

EMG 81 & 85

Edited by six_stringer

• 3 weeks later...

And just because I can enter this here, I will.

Well, here is my entry for the CBG build. The supplies I used:

1 Cardboard cigar box

1 poplar "stinky" maple 1x2 from Home Depot

frets and tuners (by Ping and surprisingly good) courtesy of cheap eBay auctions

left over pine 1/4 round for bracing on the back and sides.

Inside the box is a heel and tail block cut from the same poplar board. They are attached at either end of the cigar box and support the top.

The tail piece is another old ear ring, screwed through the box into the tail block.

Scale = 25 1/8" (my favorite)

Three strings tuned B G# b

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures.

Notice the cut out in the top ... Thanks to Hitone for that tip.

whiteowl1.jpg

whiteowl2.jpg

Neck is carved from that one stick of poplar with a Strat inspired carve on the headstock. Notice the brass screw "nut" for tone. :D

whiteowl3.jpg

Back of headstock to show off the carve at the back of the headstock and those Ping tuners.

whiteowl4.jpg

And, here's a sound clip.

White Owl CBG

cant let jehle take the competition.....

"the fuglycaster" returns

Nut made of 3 flat head screws

grover tuners (distressed)

ormsby style headstock

4, count em, 4 frets

mystery speaker stand/ply body

newspaper top, it didnt have a top for i while but i thought it needed something.

strings are D,G,e

cbg001.jpg

cbg002.jpg

cbg003.jpg

the bridge was to be made of 3 bass saddles i had lying around, but i saw this piece of PVC and thought it would work better, it did, that big hole on back was for 2 reasons, so i cold screw it to the body, and i can put a bolt in there to act as a whammy bar.

cbg004.jpg

I apologize in advance for the sound sample, i dont really know how to play the song so i was improvizing, the guitar isnt in tune really and it not that great of a sound but here it goes

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=418909

Edit, I should actually add, that it was built in 2 days, not the given week

Edited by Nitefly SA

Hey no fair! you two are going down B):D

Body/ made out of a maple box thicknessed to .085

Neck and fingerboard/ solid one peice cocobolo

Frets/ wide low frets from stewmac

Tuners/ grover mini locking (diddnt have anything cheap )

The Bridge and tailpeice are made by me

Hey those arn't sound holes, those are "tuned tone ports" :D

Scale legnth is 18"

It's tuned to A C# F A

Hope you like it!

153113.jpg

153052.jpg

153015.jpg

153151.jpg

Edited by Godin SD

Stupid of me showing up here but...

PICT0112.jpg

My Scrapocaster and my amp... ( I will a real one soon)

PICT0137.jpg

The pickup, bridge, and the "overboard" electronics.

This was made from the plans at www.buildyourguitar.com

Well here's mine. I call it Lap Steel Scrapocaster. It is generally made of a properly worm-eaten oak plank that i paid 100 NOK ($15) for.

It has a really nice Schaller brige with tailpiece, which is the most expensive thing on the guitar.

The fretboard is a nicely cut piece of paper with pencil marks and fret numbers.

The electronics is "over-board". There is no cavity cover on it.

Pickup: A DiMarzio I also paid 15 bucks for. To cover that cavity I took a nice plank of teak that previously was on the ceiling of my bathroom, cut it, broke it, and taped it onto the guitar.

The nut is an aluminiun angle. I have no clue where it came from. Just showed up when I needed one.

The tuners is not really much to talk about, but they work.

And, last, my amp... one of the cheapest here on PG... An old stereo I found on a scrapyard. :D Works really good.

It's amazing that this thing works. I have played it, and it sounds quite well.

My first lap steel guitar. Isn't it nice? :D

Edited by Islandstone007

The concensus seems to be that I should enter this...(I'll try to get better photos tomorrow)

This is my first from-scratch build: the Rocket 350... inspired by the Rickenbacker 350, one of my favorite guitars. But I don't like all the choices Rickenbacker makes (varnish on the fretboard, dopey bridge, ugly tailpiece, unstable neck joint). So I decided to build my own.

350finishfrontMedium.jpg

350finishbackMedium.jpg

Here's a couple more photos:

rocket350frontfullLarge.jpg

rocket350frontbodyLarge.jpg

The specs:

One-piece mystery wood body (I'm pretty sure it's Ipe though) with maple back

Butchered two-piece unfinished mahogany set neck (manufactured by Washburn USA, rescued and recrafted by yours truly--including the 'reverse' Gumby headstock)

Grover mini-Rotomatic locking tuners

Graphtech trem nut

Original "patent pending" Badass bridge with Graphtech string saver saddles (recovered from my Melody Maker :D )

Schaller straplocks

The pickguard and pickups come from a damaged 350 copy guitar (ebay ripoff, but I got reimbursed!). I plan to replace the bridge pickup with a real Rickenbacker toaster. For the time being, the middle pickup is disconnected --I keep tapping it with the pick, and it gives a quacky Strat-like sound when connected-- not what I'm looking for with this guitar. The clean sound is definitely very Rickish.

The finish was meant to be somewhat transparent to show the wood grain --it does, but it makes it difficult to photograph. Next time I'll choose a lighter color!

Originally I planned on using a reversed Rickenbacker style truss rod cover. But I finally decided to go with a plain black/white/black trussrod cover --more understated. (not shown in the photos)

It's a weird feeling to play a guitar I built...but I'm really pleased with the result. And it's given me the confidence to go ahead and build my own necks from now on.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my endless questions during this build, no way I could have pulled it off without the help of the people in this forum! :D