Placing A Wood Order, Any Requests?

SoundAt11

I'll be ordering a few hundred feet of lumber this week for sale, I'm well stocked on African Mahogany for bodies and Black Limba for necks, but am considering the following:

White Limba: for bodies and necks

Swamp Ash (lightweight 2.8lbs or less per Bf): for 1,2,or 3 piece bodies

Hard Maple (Quartersawn only) for necks

Honduran Mahogany: for 1-piece bodies and possibly necks

Gaboon Ebony (pure black): for necks (this stuff is ridiculously expensive)

Brazilion Rosewood: for necks (also expensive)

Just let me know if there's an interest in any of these types, I'll be placing my order either Tuesday afternoon or sometime Wednesday. Everything should arrive within a week or two.

Will

I'll be ordering a few hundred feet of lumber this week for sale, I'm well stocked on African Mahogany for bodies and Black Limba for necks, but am considering the following:

Just let me know if there's an interest in any of these types, I'll be placing my order either Tuesday afternoon or sometime Wednesday. Everything should arrive within a week or two.

Will

Hey Will

How much does the rosewood neck and honduran mahogany cost?

Harrison

I'll find out the prices on the Walnut, Braz Rosewood, and Hond. Mahogany when I call tommorrow. I was told that they can get the Braz, but wasn't told the price or how long it'd take. I'm interested in the Walnut for selling gunstock blanks to, so I'll see what they can do for some really figured stuff (dunno about 3" thick, though, I have to spec thickness and 2" would be the most commonly used).

If I recall, the Hond Mah was a little more expensive than the Afr Mahog, but I'll buy it in bulk, so we'll see what kind of deal I get. I may skip the Ebony and go for the Rosewood instead, The Ebony is just so expensive and very hard on my tools. If the price is too high on the Braz, I may get just a few necks worth of it, and get a few necks worth of Indian Rosewood.

Thanks for checking. I can always get creative getting the extra inch or maybe go for two blanks and make it an extra Rubenesque four inches thick. :D It was a shot in the dark anyway, it seems to be kind of a tall order to get a blank that thick. Figure doesn't matter too much to me but I could live with something nice.

White Limba!!

Swamp Ash!!

I too would love to know the price on braz rosewood neck.

Bill

I am looking forward to getting the mahogany blanks!!

Hey Bill, didn't know you post here. Yours went out in the mail this afternoon. I tossed in a pack of hide glue to, so you're all set for 2 guitars. Keep an eye out for a weird shaped package with a lot of tape on it arrivng in 4-5 days:-)

Alright got my prices per board feet and availability:

They got most woods in stock and can process them and have them ready in a week, although some will have to be trucked in, so add a week on them.

Honduran Rosewood

(closest sound, look, and density to Brazilian and superior to Indian)- prices for a 2" thick neck would be between $70-100 depending on width and length. They're limited on this one, so I may get 12 board ft, so I should have 10 blanks at most (hopefully not much scrap material, though I'll probably sell the scraps on this stuff). I may buy some 1" thick material also, these prices will be much lower. Add a week.

Macassar Ebony

(they actually sell in quarters of an inch length due to the price)-

A 2" thick neck blank is going to be in the $150 range (could be higher or lower depending on width and length). I may buy some 1" thick stock instead, as that should cut the prices down drastically. Add a week.

Gaboon Ebony

Similar to above but tack on approx $20 to the price. Add a week.

Maples

They can get me quartersawn hard maple and flamed soft maple, the prices are pretty good, so I can do these for pretty reasonable prices. Probably $30 for a 2" neck blank of either, a 1" thick neck blank cheaper. I may sell the less figured cheaper and the wild figure ones for more.

Ash

Great prices, though they said nothing wide enough for 1-piece bodies. Cheaper than Mahogany for sure. I'm going check more on this one. Add a week.

Purpleheart

Great prices, though I'm having nightmares about cutting this stuff and having to buy a ton of new sawblades:-)

I shouldn't have a problem doing $25 neck blanks 2" thick. Tops and veneers are something I'll look into if I can find a cabinet shop willing to work with this wood. I may make a batch of strips for neck laminates.

Zebrawood

Not ridiculous prices, but cost approx 1.5x mahogany. I'd like to do some necks and body halves out of this, so maybe $35 on a normal 2" thick neck. 2-piece body, maybe $60.

Black Walnut

A little higher than Zebrawood, but is available. Prices will probably vary, as I'll likely take the super figured stuff and cut into gunstock blanks to sell on Ebay. But figure $40 on a 2" thick neck blank and at least $60 for a body blank.

I didn't have a chance to find out about the Honduran Mahogany, so I may call back later and get it's price and availability, as sell as to get more info on the Ash.

Will

confirm the sizes for the honduran rosewood blanks, plus a firm TOTAL price for THREE blanks please

I'd rather be bound by a firm price on the expensive stuff until I actually receive the lumber and see how much usable guitar stock I have. It may go up or down. At those prices, an inch or two can make a big difference. I can give you discount for buying 3 (and because I love the vine guitar:-)).

What dimensions do you need on the three?

Will

OK, I held off on my order due to the holiday weekend and all. Tuesday I'll be placing it.

Tentatively, I'm going with:

small quantity for neck use

Honduran Rosewood

Macassar Ebony

Purpleheart

larger quantity for bodies:

white or black limba (haven't decided for sure)

Swamp Ash (lightweight)

Honduran Mahogany (I may until Feb on this one)

Right now, I've got a lot of different body and neck blank sizes that I cut out this afternoon, if you need anything between 12x20 up to 17x26 1-piece Mahogany body blanks and 4x26 all the way up to 5x41 neck blanks in Mahogany and black limba. This will be going on Ebay this week and are for sale here as well, just PM me.

Will

Will

how much does the ebony run a board foot?

I need one piece 18" x 2 1/4" x 3/8"

Thats .105 of a board foot.

OK, order placed.

I wasn't able to get the ebony and rosewood, I'd have had to order several hundred board feet of each:-(

I picked up:

1 3/4" Swamp Ash for 2-piece bodies (may have some 1-piece ones),

1 5/8" genuine Honduran Mahogany for 2 and 1-piece bodies, as well as necks,

1 3/4" Black Limba for 2 piece bodes (I've got tons of BL neck blanks right now to go with 'em),

1 3/4" Purpleheart for necks, bookmatched tops, and neck laminates

1 3/4" Curly Soft Maple (flamed and quilted) for necks and bookmatched tops,

2 1/4" Black Walnut (for bodies, tops, neck laminates, and gunstocks)

Everything should arrive this week and then I'll start cutting it up and getting the pricing together. Prices should be good and as always, I'll beat any website's prices.

Partially received:

1 5/8" genuine Honduran Mahogany for 2 piece bodies, as well as necks, really good looking stuff.

1 3/4" Curly Soft Maple (flamed) for necks and bookmatched tops,

a few really wavy pieces, some with subtle pieces, some with little to no flame.

2 1/4" Black Walnut (for bodies, tops, neck laminates, and gunstocks)

approx 8" wide pieces, so should be suitable for 2-piece bodies and tops. Virtually all brown heartwood with nice red and purple streaking, very little white sapwood. There's some scrap ends that may be cut into pen blanks, knife scales, or other small things, in case anyone needs them.

Purpleheart, Ash, and Black Limba tommorrow (I hope).

The Ash came in today, then off to the cabinet shop for planing +sanding + straightedging (run through a jointer). It averages around 3lbs per board foot in the rough, based on my invoice. It's good looking wood, the boards range from 6" all the way up to 10" wide.

I told them I wanted "Swamp Ash", they said that's what's called Southern Ash that's grown in the delta states (LA, MISS) and that it is lightweight. Based on what little time I handled those pieces, they have beautiful rings and grain just like any transparent Ash Strat I've played or seen and had big open pore texture, similar to Limba. The boards were all quite resonant when tapped. The coolest is that one piece of the ash appears to have light flame to it! I went up and down looking at it front and back and it had subtle but noticable reflective figuring just like the piece of flame maple that I had stacked nearby.

All my lumber went off the shop for processing today and should be back in week. The is is: Honduran+African Mahogany, Black Limba, Flame Maple, Ash.

The Black Walnut is still at home, I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet, anyone building a 2 1/4" thick walnut guitar:-)

Purpleheart should arrive tommorrow and then off to the shop it goes to get the square and smooth treatment.

Until then, just keep an eye on my Ebay auctions for my remaining Mahogany body blanks:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsoundat11QQhtZ-1

Edited by SoundAt11