Onboard Delay Effect

Pex657

Since I don't know much about electronics, I am just trying to think logically.

Use the normal guitar ouput jack and use some like

http://www.midi-classics.com/i/p24173.jpg

to connect it to the delay input. Then use the delay output as the normal guitar output jack. Would this work?

EDIT:

Reading through DIYstompboxes.com and found something that arion wrote.

For an onboard guitar effect, build it as small as possible. Fit the battery and the circuit into the guitar. Put the circuit at the end of the guitar circuit (i.e. where the output jack usually connects to). So the output jack wire would go to the input of the circuit. Output of the circuit goes to the output jack.
Edited by Pex657

Yeah...I thought it was neat when it was brought to my attention...but...would it be ok with the power requirements of something like a sustainer and work of a regulated power adaptor...and how would we DIY it????

we would diy it like i said above in my post :D

That smilie of yours looks awlfully smug Mr A. As does you electric Penguin!!!  :D

I thought you'd appreciate it...now sombody build it... :D

the sony battery will power anything. hmm its nicetoo. i am in the process of hacking my cellphone to accept a different rechargabel battery aprox 5400mah of life at 9v my celly only uses 4.8v so with a little regulation we should get a long life out of my new battery. i am thinking a week. or so.

...and how would we DIY it????
Not much to DIY, really, Pete - simply wire the positive power terminal of your circuit to the ring of the guitar's (stereo) output jack, and the circuit's ground to the guitar's ground buss. Then make a "breakout box" that hooks up a battery/power supply to a stereo input jack with its positive to the ring and negative to ground, and a mono output jack wired tip to sleeve. Run a stereo cable between them, connect the mono output jack to your amp, and you've powered your circuit without any serious interaction between power and audio circuits. If that's still confusing, I can work up a diagram if anybody needs one. A well-filtered, regulated (and isolated for safety, if run from the AC line) supply with more than ample current is absolutely essential, to keep from inducing noise/buzz into the audio circuit. Current limiting/fusing, low battery/voltage indicator and polarity protection are left as an exercise for the reader. :D

The obvious upside is that your homebrew box will work with standard active guitars just like the commercial one, provided you short across the guitar's battery clip like they do.

Ok...

Definitely got me thinking...just something nagging me about it...however...

Still...with the sustainer, a power supply like this would provide for a significant improvement in performance by allowing increased power to the driver, the driver could be kept in idle (so no pop!) and it would completely remove the need for space for the battery (by far the biggest component) to the inside of the guitar.

I wonder why this breakout box has no provision for AC powering via a supply?

Anyway...gives me an excuse to bring back the Sustainer Thread by linking this thread to it for future reference...thank you gentlemen...pete