What's This Guitar?

Hallo,

I found a picture of an archtop guitar that struck me as curious:

Archtop.jpg

It seems to be an older archtop, by the general look, but the sunburst pattern on the pickguard and the style of sunburst on the body seems to indicate a more recent guitar. The fact that it has no name on the headstock doesn't help...

Can anyone help with identifying this guitar?

thanks,

elynnia

Harmony Monterey to be exact. I just made a new pickguard for my friend's Monterey. Don't ask me how or why but he loves that guitar so much that hes got just under $3000 Cdn invested in it's refurbishing. :D To each his own.

Are you sure it's a Harmony Monterey? The headstock with the pointy centre and the tailpiece seem to be rather different from the examples of a Harmony Monterey that I see on the internet. Also, is it just me or does the sunburst pattern look..off for a Harmony or related archtop?

Another thing - when would this guitar have been made?

thanks,

elynnia

is it just me, or does that look like a botched refinish?

Reminds me of the 1960's Fender 'bulls-eye' sunburst.

guitars001.jpgheres a picture of my old harmoney archtop. mine was made so cheaply the fingerboard markers were painted on.

Hallo,

I found a picture of an archtop guitar that struck me as curious:

Archtop.jpg

It seems to be an older archtop, by the general look, but the sunburst pattern on the pickguard and the style of sunburst on the body seems to indicate a more recent guitar. The fact that it has no name on the headstock doesn't help...

Can anyone help with identifying this guitar?

thanks,

elynnia

Yeah, I have this old cheap, American made, acoustic which had block inlays painted on the board, and then when I leveled the board, of course I sanded the painted inlays right off, but also it turned out that the board had been stained to look like a dark wood, and it was actually maple, and decent looking maple too. It was kind of neat that after a little sanding, a creepy looking board turned into a nice inlay free maple board. I put black dot inlays on the bass side of the neck. I've had comments like : " is that an electric neck put on that acoustic body ?"

• 2 weeks later...

Not all Harmony's were cheap instruments. They got that rep. when they started selling @ Sears. Most guitar companies of the time bought bodies and other parts from Harmony. I believe Rickenbacker was one of them. They perfected much of the building techniques that we use today.