Making "lipless" pickups.....

budman68

If your talking about the little tounge that sticks out of the bridge side on a lot of them , yes!

Just remember to be careful not to cut the wires where they come out the middle cause a lot of times the manufacturer's thread them through the baseplate there.

Oh and I used a Dremel with a cutting disc. Melted a little plastic but it was easily cleaned up with a razor knife.

If your talking about the little tounge that sticks out of the bridge side on a lot of them , yes!

Just remember to be careful not to cut the wires where they come out the middle cause a lot of times the manufacturer's thread them through the baseplate there.

Oh and I used a Dremel with a cutting disc. Melted a little plastic but it was easily cleaned up with a razor knife.

What did you do with the wires then?

First I had to cut off the jacket since they were bound together in a plastic sleeve. Then I threaded then back out of the holes and held them out of the way with a piece of tape while I did the cutting.

I guess I could have used a piece of shrink wrap tubing to geive them the jacket back again but I just threaded them through the way they were.

Sounds like your single coils may be assembled a little different from the ones I have. Mine have two solder lugs out on that lip. The magnet wire is threaded through them and wrapped around the outside edge and the stranded wire is soldered into that lug to make the circuit.

I'd have to attach the magnet wire and stranded wire somewhere else to get the footprint down to an oval. I'm not sure how I would manage that and still have a decent amount of strain relief.

On the other hand... I actually have a travel guitar that has a pickup in that oval shape already. I may have to disect that pickup to see what they did. :D

The pup I did it to was one of the old S1 singles out of an Ibanez, I guess it very's from pickup to pickup. I just noticed the differences between two different RG 550's today, both with the old neck joint but some definate differences in the routing and thickness in a few area's on the two body's (same model).