Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmrentis

No Quarter Vs. No Quarter

I just wanted to get some thoughts from anyone on those two songs. I really like the both, but being a Tool fan I of course really dig their version, but it is different, so that seems strange to me to change lyrics like that for a cover. Has anyone heard both versions? I have a feeling noone will respond being that I doubt anyone has heard both, it seems not many people here listen to Tool, which always baffles me, being that they are a great band, especially live. The Tool version is on an album called Salival. ANd I know many people really dig Zepplin so I'm sure most have heard that song, if not do so, it is really amazing song and would make for a great cover song for a gig. So again any thoughts on those two, which do you like better, what did Tool do right or wrong on their version and so on. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated, but again I doubt anyone has heard both, so if you haven't, listen to both I think you will enjoy either of them. Peace. J

I love Tool's version of No Quarter (seems like we are the only Tool-heads on this forum, haha). In my opinion, Tool is one of the few bands that can cover a song and make it better than the original. That being said, I still really like Zeppelin's version.

I just let one of my friends who is a Zep fan and an elitist when it comes to music listen to the Tool version. Her exact words were "This is a kickass cover."

I love Tool's version of No Quarter (seems like we are the only Tool-heads on this forum, haha).

when i was 16 the first concert i ever went to was a tool show, and a have every one of their cds , with the exception of the box set. i can't really comment on witch one i like better, i just wanted you to know there's atleast one more tool fan here.

The live version from " The Song Remains the Same" blows them both away

i have a copy of the sound track for "The Song Remains the Same" on vinyl that i have never listened to that used to belong tomy uncle, i guess i should dust that off and give it a spin (and probably transfer it to cd)

I am always so surpirsed at how few people here listen to Tool, you would think with all the musicians there would be more people that like them, they are incredibly talented musicians. Everyone in the band could not be replaced, Maynard is an amazing vocalist, Danny Carey is one of the best drummers around, even people that don't listen to Tool know how amazing he is, and both guitarist and bassists are amazing, they really give the songs the vibe Tool is known for. And like I said I would really be surprised if you could find a better live band.

Anyways yeah I really dig their version of no quarter, the original is an amazing song and I also believe that Tool did it better, which is the first cover that is better than the original for me, like Primal said. I'm glad at least a couple people here have the knowledge of Tool, I think if anyone saw them live they would have a hard time not becoming an instant fan. Anyways right on, glad to have some company in Toolville, I heard the new album is due this spring, can't wait. J

I am always so surpirsed at how few people here listen to Tool, you would think with all the musicians there would be more people that like them, they are incredibly talented musicians.

Yeah, Stinkfist is the greatest piece of rock musicianship I've ever heard... :D

I don't mind Tool, but personally, I think when you have to start covering songs from LEGENDARY bands like Led Zepplin, you've lost your edge.

I don't mind Tool, but personally, I think when you have to start covering songs from LEGENDARY bands like Led Zepplin, you've lost your edge.

Considering they did that between AEnima and Lateralus, one could HARDLY say that they have lost their edge. Besides, its not as if they recorded it for an actual conceptual album (such as Lateralus -- and if you don't believe Lateralus is a conceptual album, I'll be more than happy to point you in the direction of a few websites which would explain it much better than I could). It was release on Salival, which was a live/misc studio compilation (i.e. the song Maynard's Dick and the Peach cover they did). And lets not forget that Led Zeppelin covered and reworked a famous blues song, "When the Levee Breaks"...

But alas, I do not want to argue, haha.

Yeah, Stinkfist is the greatest piece of rock musicianship I've ever heard... rolleyes.gif

Whats wrong with stinkfist? Whats bad about it, if you judge a band by the lyrics of one song you really need to look below the surface more and you might realize there are some amazing musicians out there, most of which don't go by the ordinary boring same old stuff. Seriously go through the guitar on almost any song and you will find some amazing stuff, half the time the guitar mags have a hard time figuring out exactly how to play the songs and will just write adjusted versions of the songs, very technical while still keeping that smoothness for an epic rock or metal song. Tool is huge, concerts sell out extremely well in big stadiums, they just aren't commercial like metallica or bands like that, they don't do mtv or interviews, or hype their stuff out on radio shows. They just make music and it speaks for itself, without hardly any promotion they sell out concerts like crazy, where as others big bands sell out after having their video played 10,000 times, doing thousands of interviews and radio shows and much much more. I think that speaks volumes. J

Tool is good band,I've known Maynard for a long time,he's a weird guy. I mean that in a good way. Very introspective and soft spoken in person, you would not know that from his music. :D Many years ago my wife took me out for our wedding anniversary to a club on Long Island in New York to see a band called The Butt Monkeys. She knew who they were and I didn't,it was an impromptu jamming band with Keenan and Don Roeser.Don goes by the name Buck Dharma,from the Blue Oyster Cult band. It was quite nice to see musicians of that caliber at a small venue.

I must be a guitar geek because the main thing I recall from that show is the round mirror Maynard has glued on to the headstock of his silverburst Les Paul Custom guitar. That's why we are all members of this website I guess. Guitar nerds.

Yeah the last tour Lateralus, I watched maynard playing a headless guitar during the instrumental, which was 3 of their instrumentals strung together, up to that point I never knew Maynard played guitar, I am not sure if he always had played on previous tours or not, but he jammed good. And they brought out Meshugga(sp) to play procussion, it was amazing. I can't remember how long it went for but I would over 20 minutes easily. What I really respect about Tools performances is they always change and add to their songs, almost never will they play the song straight off the album, they tend to alway improve the songs. Like I said truely amazing band and unknown to many people who would really appreciate the musical abilities of the members. I am almost sure that Danny Carrey plays in another band or two, and I know Maynard plays in 3 or more, including A Perfect Circle. And I know that Adam Jones the guitarist grew up with Tom Morello, they played together for a long time. You can find many similarities in their playing style, although their sound is totally different their style and techniques are similar. Both amazing guitarists. J

Danny Carey plays with Tool, Volto, and Pygmy Love Circus (not a good band at all, imo). Maynard and Danny were in Green Jelly (along with James Hetfield singing). Justin Chancellor jams with Isis quite often, and I'm sure that he is still involved with Peach and probably other bands. Adam Jones isn't in any other bands, that I know of.

And I agree jmrentis, Tool live is MUCH better than Tool's studio stuff, which is amazing because their studio stuff is still absolutely AMAZING.

Oh, and for anyone interested, there is speculation on Toolband.com that the new Tool CD will be released sometime in May, hopefully in early May.\

...HURRAY!!!

Oh, and for anyone interested, there is speculation on Toolband.com that the new Tool CD will be released sometime in May, hopefully in early May.\

...HURRAY!!!

Oh Finally! I can't wait. HURRAY X 2! I will go check out the site, I go on there from time to time mainly for tour dates or updates on albums, or lyrics. Listening to a Tool album all the way through for the first time is a seriously awesome life experience. You almost feel changed, they are really amazing to me. I will reserve it asap. J

Primal and the other very few members that like Tool here, I was told that they are playing a gig at Cochella(sp) APril 30th I believe. It a 2 day huge concert with many bands, I have no idea if they are playing their new material or not but I was surprised to hear of them playing. It's like $100 for one day or so. I guess the info is on the 91X website. 91X is a radio station down here is Socal, it could be elsewhere but I don't know. If you can't find the info tell me and I will find the site for you and link it. I don't think you guys are anywhere down here, but I figured you could check it out, who knows maybe they will start a tour soon after. J

wait a min. maynard plays guitar? is he good or just a lead singer guitarist "good"?

oh and both of the songs shouldnt be considerd in the same catagory as better or worse. they are 2 differnt songs.

Yes, Maynard does play guitar live (mainly on Lateralus songs such as Schism). As far as I know, all studio work is left to Adam.