Need Wood?

SoundAt11

Just a quick post in case anyone is ready to buy wood for the next project:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sound-At-11?refid=store

I've got African and Honduran Mahogany, Flame Maple, Purepleheart, and Black Limba in my Ebay store.

I've also got Black Walnut, Southern Ash (including Flamed Ash), and more African+Honduran Mahogany, Black Limba, Flamed and plain Maple, and Purpleheart available that I can cut to your specs and sell.

I've also got luthier grade Hide Glue in my Ebay store.

thanks again :D

Edited by SoundAt11

NO!!!!! I LITERALLY JUST bought wood! And I paid a total of $170 for TWO blanks?!?!?! If only I had seen this like 2 days ago?!

Chris

Hey, send 'em back for a refund:-)

$170 for two mahogany blanks? What size and where?

I've got a shelf full of various sized 1-piece mahogany body blanks and lots of different neck blanks in various sizes in case you need any more.

No, it was an Alder 2-piece blank for $50, and a Black Limba 2-piece blank for $85 (plus shipping equaled $171) from Gilmer. And it's too late to cancel, and it'd cost me more than it's worth to ship them back ($$$) and buy new. HOWEVER! If you still around selling wood in.... a year (the time it'll take me two finish these two guitars I just ordered wood for) you can look forward to me admiring your prices :D and making some buys :D

Chris

No, it was an Alder 2-piece blank for $50, and a Black Limba 2-piece blank for $85 (plus shipping equaled $171) from Gilmer. And it's too late to cancel, and it'd cost me more than it's worth to ship them back ($$$) and buy new. HOWEVER! If you still around selling wood in.... a year (the time it'll take me two finish these two guitars I just ordered wood for) you can look forward to me admiring your prices :D and making some buys :D

Chris

Hopefully things will be successful and I'll still be selling a year from now:-)

Yeah, those prices are rather high. I'm not up on Alder's prices, but Limba is pretty reasonably priced wholesale, but then Gilmer has a lot more staff and overhead to pay for than a little guy working out of his house.

Either way, you'll like Black Limba if you haven't used it before. It cuts like butter, sands easily, and is very lightweight.

Will

• 1 month later...

I just got a black limba neck blank from him. Looks good, fast shipping.

Good to hear that, thanks :D

I've got a large batch of White Limba and Black Limba that I haven't cut up yet, including a good number of Flamed Limba boards of both colors. There's a number of boards large enough for 2 piece bodies (6-7" wide), and a ton of boards for necks and neck throughs. It's all planed to 1 3/4" smooth and the boards are still long and uncut. Hopefully I can start sawing this weekend or early next week.

I've got such a large amount that I can work out large volume deals (10, 20, 30 neck blanks, for example).

I've also got some 2" thick, unplaned African Mahogany that includes some 4, 8, and 16" wide boards that I need to cut, as well as some 1 5/8" Honduran Mahogany, Flamed Soft Maple, and Plain Soft Maple to cut up. There's one 2 1/4" thick Black Walnut board that I'll likely cut for necks.

I'm officially out of Purpleheart neck and body blanks at the moment, although I have a TON of strips and scrap pieces for laminates and what not. I do have more Purpleheart on order, though, as well as more wide African Mahogany (spec'd as 14" and up). I'm just waiting on that next boat full of lumber to arrive :-)

Just a quick post in case anyone is ready to buy wood for the next project:

http://stores.ebay.com/Sound-At-11?refid=store

I've got African and Honduran Mahogany, Flame Maple, Purepleheart, and Black Limba in my Ebay store.

I've also got Black Walnut, Southern Ash (including Flamed Ash), and more African+Honduran Mahogany, Black Limba, Flamed and plain Maple, and Purpleheart available that I can cut to your specs and sell.

I've also got luthier grade Hide Glue in my Ebay store.

thanks again :D

You still have some Honduran Mahogany? I'm looking for a 1 piece blank for a double cut, also a piece of swamp ash for a tele. How much would each cost?

Thanks

You still have some Honduran Mahogany? I'm looking for a 1 piece blank for a double cut, also a piece of swamp ash for a tele. How much would each cost?

Thanks

I've still got Honduran Mahogany, although it's all 12" or narrower and planed to 1 5/8" thick.

I should have some more African Mahogany arriving in the next few weeks that'll be wide enough for 1-piece body blanks; it's really hard to find new Honduran boards 12" or wider, the only ones I can find are sitting in the back of old lumber warehouses, those old wide trees are rare these days. Wide African Mahogany boards are still plentiful, though.

I'm down to one last set of Southern Ash, it's 2 pieces, around 7-8" wide with flame figuring. It's not "Swamp" Ash, though, same tree grown in the same delta states, but submerged in water like the Swamp Ash trees are, so these 3 pieces are a little denser and heavier (about the same weight as Mahogany).

• 1 month later...

SoundAt11 is it possible to ship to the UK? I'm guessing the postage costs would be pretty high but it still might be cheeper and easier to get wood from you than from the UK!

Robert

Hi Rob,

No problem, I've sent to the UK before, it's not a big deal, just a little customs paperwork. Just let me know what you need, I can give you a little price break to help with the shipping costs.

Will

Thought I'd throw this out thee for everyone: Honduran mahogany's now CITES II listed, so if you're wanting to import it without CITES documentation (which most of the stuff currently on the market, frankly, does not have), it's buyer beware, as customs may confiscate it.

African, Limba, all that stuff's safe. Mahogany...not s'much.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, yeah. i just bought some ash and walnut from sound at 11 a few months ago. he was really great to work with, and helped me kind of figure out what, exactly i wanted. it was cut and planed it to the sizes and sent it out quite quickly. the wood itself is quite nice too, i've been extremely happy with it. good find