2x4 Guitar Build

Well we've talked and talked about it. It's time for the rubber to meet the road. Today is February 11. Let's take 1 month and see what we can do with the lowly 2x4.

Task:

Build a playable instrument using a 2x4 (or as many of them as you need). You can make any kind of instrument that you like and use additional materials as needed (like a balsa fretboard), but you must use a 2x4 for the majority of the build. Above all else, have fun with the idea.

Time limit:

One Month. March 12th is the deadline and then we can all sit back and laugh at the results.

Submitting entries:

You can post your results here. Limit yourself to 4 pictures (just as in the GOTM) and tell us the vital statistics. Sound clips are optional but for extra brownie points, they are preferred. :D

Get to work!

What sort of 2x4 are we talking about? I am guessing the intent is your standard builders supply spruce/pine/fir stud, but many other species are available as construction grade 2x4s depending on where you live. Down in the rural south here, we use a lot of yellow poplar for construction, and having a portable sawmill, I've cut up a lot of different woods into 2x4s for framing. I even have some hard maple 2x4s I've salvaged from an old barn. Not trying to nitpick, I just want to clear this up before I start something. :D

What sort of 2x4 are we talking about? I am guessing the intent is your standard builders supply spruce/pine/fir stud, but many other species are available as construction grade 2x4s depending on where you live. Down in the rural south here, we use a lot of yellow poplar for construction, and having a portable sawmill, I've cut up a lot of different woods into 2x4s for framing. I even have some hard maple 2x4s I've salvaged from an old barn. Not trying to nitpick, I just want to clear this up before I start something. :D

I didn't specify wood per se. You got the right idea to use common building material. Generic 2x4.

Notice that I also said make a playable "instrument" and I didn't specify a guitar. :D

so, you could use better than construction grade lumber, right?

:D Here we go again.

I'm sorry, maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm a little confused as to exactly what you can or can not use. I was a the local hardware store yesterday and saw some really nice high grade fir 2X4s and was wondering if that would be ok to use.

Construction grade 2x4 would be easyer to work with since it's normal made from softer wood... but i'd suggest getting something slightly harder and more expensive...you got to remember.. soft woods will warp easy since they spend a good amount of time drying out. Harder wood will be a better choice if you want something with less complication in the future.

Nah, I'm not going to make a lot of extra rules here. If you can pick up a 2x4 at your local hardware store and it's made of New Zealand Remu, then that's fair game. If you think that's construction grade timber, go for it.

Cutting the 2x4 is fair game too. It's wood just like anything else. Cut it. Glue it. Drill holes in it. Just make something. :D

Would it be ok if I use a 2x8"? and some little scraps of local native timbers for the nut and bridge?

If you split it down the middle you'd have 2 2x4's...then you could just glue them bck together :D

That's splitting hairs, so to speak. Technically, you could use a 2x8, but you would also have to use a 2x4 according to the initial rule. I don't want to say what you can and cannot use. If you can honestly say, "I used a 2x4 to make this." you've satisfied the one and only rule.

The spirit of the build is to limit yourself to use something undesirable, or just not worthy of a build. A 2x4 is not an ideal size so you will have to cut it somehow. It's probably not the greatest tone wood either, probably too soft, yadda yadda yadda. We know all that. But can you sew a silk purse from a sow's ear?

I feel all zen-like now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...