Band Saw Blade

olyen

Hello gentlemen, i have a problem with a bandsaw blade, I just bought a bandsaw yesterday and taking a curve on a cut i twisted the blade ,the problem is 99 3/4 is a very unusual lenght and none of the big hardware stores carry it,anyways,i was trying to correct the twist with no luck, did any of you try this before ,is it doable? I already ordered new ones but in the meantime i have none but the twisted one and i really need to use the bandsaw,any help ? thanks a lot for your time.

yeah,I ordered the set of three blades ,1/4, 1/2,and 3/8 ,I hope they last longcause they are expensive ,and what really ticks me off is that you cant get them anywhere but online,anyways ,thanks for your responses.

....snip... ",the problem is 99 3/4 is a very unusual lenght and none of the big hardware stores carry it"...snip...

Hi Olyen,

Have you tried getting one from Tools for woodworking? They have a 1/2" woodslicer for $30 that is 100" the 1/4" difference should not be a problem if your machine has enough tension range. Just a thought for you.

Mike K

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index...ROD&ProdID=1293

• 2 months later...

I've got an old Inca 10 1/2 which takes a 73 1/2 blade. Garrett Wade used to be the only place to get them so I bought a bandsaw blade brazing kit rom Woodcraft and make up my own. All it takes is a mini-torch, a grinding wheel and a kit. If I can braze them up, anyone can. It takes me a total of about 15 minutes to make one. I bought the bandsaw blade stock from the guys who sharpen my blades for me. It's really great to be able to have a shrp blade when I need it without waiting.

Hello gentlemen, i have a problem with a bandsaw blade, I just bought a bandsaw yesterday and taking a curve on a cut i twisted the blade ,the problem is 99 3/4 is a very unusual lenght and none of the big hardware stores carry it,anyways,i was trying to correct the twist with no luck, did any of you try this before ,is it doable? I already ordered new ones but in the meantime i have none but the twisted one and i really need to use the bandsaw,any help ? thanks a lot for your time.

Olyen,

Chuck the blade and get a new one..you wont get it straight.

If youre twisting blades check following:

1. Check you've got the upper guides set to about 10mm above surface of wood youre cutting.

2. What sort of guides does your saw have? If theyre block style and there are roller replacements available get them...theyre far better. Check the blade is tracking in the guides properly as well.

3. Check your blade tension. Should be something in the handbook about recommended setting.

4. For tight curves best to use a 1/4" blade or thinner.

5. If you have to back out of a cut..turn the saw off first and then back out of it. Backing out with the saw running is a good way to bend/break blades.

Cheers Martin

Edited by kiwigeo

. If you have to back out of a cut..turn the saw off first and then back out of it. Backing out with the saw running is a good way to bend/break blades.

Cheers Martin