Guitar Of The Month For March

Guitar of the Month for March  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm torn between the Welt and the Surfcaster...the Welt's not my cup of tea (I'm really starting to hate quilted maple) but I think the work is excellent.

I like how the Surfcaster catches an excellent retro vibe, manages to look different from a telecaster --maybe that's just because it's a lefty? The combo of the jazzmaster trem and the P90s is really classy. Obviously, I'm a sucker for a retro look.

I'm a little disappointed by the solidbody Classic --I don't think the design translates well, maybe because of the color, or maybe because of the rounded edges--the horns look strange. I liked the first Classic (the 'classic' Classic?) much better!

There's some great work in Wardd's guitar, but for me the body design just seems amateurish...another stumpy guitar...kind of ruins all that effort for me.

The Surfcaster is where its at! What a nice job and I love how all the elements come together in a subtle way. I'm also a bit tired of all the maple tops - they're nice but it seems they're everywhere. You've got my vote!

Teles aren't my thing, but that SurfCaster is just so nice, understated and classy!

I really like Hitone's Classic as well.

Nice custom work on Wardd's, but the shape doesn't do it for me, and it borderlines on gaudy with all the custom "bling". Sometimes too much is, well, too much.

The EVH is well done, but is it just the pic, or is there a large discolored area in the upper bout by the neck p/u? And that headstock veneer orientation bugs me.

Props to Perry for another excellent build. But it's a pointy guitar, so points off. :D

I like the Cigantor... but I want to see a six-stringer! :D

Congratulations all around this month,

Mike

Folks,

First, thanks to all who have voted for my guitar. I was hoping for a vote count greater than 1, but I screwed up and clicked the View Results button before voting so now I just glad to see my total over 0.

Second, thanks to all of you who’s information I have used to get this project done. I have been visiting this site for a couple years now and have learned a lot.

Now that I’m trying to take a more active role, I am also beginning to learn a little more about the culture of the board. Up until now it seemed like a ... well let’s look at the guidelines...

“a family friendly forum”, yeah it seems to be, if you avoid some of these GOTM posts.

And what about Rule #3.

3. There is be no flaming, derogatory remarks, use of continuous fowl or explicit language (The Old Golden rule applies, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all)

It seems to me that if you don’t like someone's entry in the GOTM that’s fine, no one will ever build a guitar that everyone likes.

But, why not spare us the negative comments and simply explain what you liked in the one you voted or almost voted for.

So from my point of view:

ORMSBY Vortex: Great guitar as always, your work has been an inspiration to me ever since I first visited the site.

Welt Custom - Simple (in a good way), elegant and I’m an even worse player than builder so a guitar with only one knob is right up my alley.

HiTone - Love the look of the old soap bar pickups in contrast with the sunburst. I teach geometry so I had to like the fret marker inlays.

Gigantor - Love the “hardware”. (Some of us think inside the box and some of us think outside the box, but there are so few of us that can do both at the same time!)

Strato-Master rebuild - Great accomplishment, of all the GOTM candidates you should be proud of your work. I built my first guitar around your age and as I recall it had a Plexiglas back, so yours brought back some fond memories. Plus, you got to like a member who’s signature is “My dad’s old guitar will live again.”

Brendon’s Lefty - Beautiful instrument, great choice of colors. It reminds me of a custom hot-rod, sleek and low to the ground.

Be Cool,

d ward

It seems to me that if you don’t like someone's entry in the GOTM that’s fine, no one will ever build a guitar that everyone likes.

But, why not spare us the negative comments and simply explain what you liked in the one you voted or almost voted for.

So what your saying is you would rarther have people tell you your guitar(s) are awesome than hear the truth that you (and everyone else on this board) Could build better instrements and they are far from perfect. Yes even Myka and Perry and Jeremy could be better than they already are. Of course they are already much much better than any of us mere mortals could every hope to be :D But you can still always get better. No matter how good you are.

Critisism is not a bad thing. If no one every told you what they diddn't like about your guitars how would you ever get better?

Saying that critisism (negative comments, Whatever you'd like to call it) is breaking the "Golden rule" is just plain nuts.

What we are really looking at here is a diffrence of opinion. Some people think that Positive comments will reenforce a person and make them better at what they do. Than some other people think that pointing out there weaknesses will help them grow.

Thats really the issue.

So if you become offended by some other people posting negative comments just remember not everyone is the same and maybe the builder of said guitar would benefit from hearing the negative comments.

Just some of my thoughts floating about...

+1

IMO there's a huge difference between flaming/derogatory comments and offering constructive criticism/personal opinions.

Wardd - The only opinion that really matters is yours. Whether or not YOU like your guitar and are proud of your build (you should be) is the most important thing. Most of us here respect and admire quality craftsmanship and ingenuity, even if the end result is not completely in sync with our own personal preferences - and we all come from different (and equally valid) perspectives. And should I ever finish my project and it shows up here, I'll welcome your comments - both pro and con. B)

Anyway, this is all just a friendly little contest and a place to show off your work. I keep wanting to quote erikbojerik:

"A GOTM win, in the words of my esteemed wife, amounts to "...the respect and accolades of an obscure internet forum..."" :D

Again, nice job on the build. Top notch! :D

Mike

rhods was my vote,he made the sickest body shape...then had am amazing black finish,then he made even more amazing and produced a marble swirl...and then just blew me away with the red finish.

i love this guitar

my second vote would have gone to wardd

those are some sweet matching bridge/pickups rings

I've discovered, in trying to design nice guitars, that no matter how many nice elements you have together on your guitar, it's not going to make it a pretty guitar. For that reason, I think a lot of guitars you see on hear are too complicated, or too busy, and although all the elements are nice, they just don't come together to form a classy guitar.

The Surfcaster is the first guitar I've seen around here in a long, long time that truly blew me away. It's understated, and yet every little nuance fits perfectly with everything else. The color scheme is both retro and original, and combining the surf styling with the Tele shape is a perfect match. That thing just blows me away :D

Congrats to everyone, though, for building a guitar. Just getting far enough to enter your guitar in GOTM is an accomplishment in and of itself.

I voted early and it looks like I picked a winner. I actually love surf music and you just got to love the style and execution on this one. Made some comments early in the alternative comments thread to this effect....but....as always...

Another good round of instruments though...and neck and neck for second place! Already we have got a couple of fine entries for next month too, I see! (got to warn you, I'm a sucker for a fretless bass!)

All these entries are worthy...there is so much that influences voting peoples tastes and biases come through and through. The voting is very much influenced by what has come before too I suspect.

You know though, in years to come, Wardd's guitar will be the family heirloom. The attention to detail is staggering...the fact that the popular vote is swaying retro this month and will be perhaps metal or relic aesthetic next time...this is a guitar and workmanship that will be around and admired I suspect long after we ourselves have long gone.

The voting is one thing, but simply being posted on this thread is a little bit of forum fame, and all these guitars will remain to please and interest people for many years to come. Many's a time someone will refer back to little details of all of the GOTM entries, win or not, with admiration.