Post The Most Outrageous 3d Tops Thread

Quilted maple, looks like flame.

That's called curly maple, p'haps, but it ain't quilt. Quilt's a figure, not a species.

Still, damn nice piece of wood.

I'm under the impretion that Curly and flamed is the same figure... Quilted is lie mine. Even this one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02223.jpg still flamed maple. And the figure is a bit bigger than traditionaly seen on guitars

Curly and flamed are the same quilt, just over time industry has come up with different terms for it. If you do a search on ebay for quilted maple instead of flamed you get more results because quilted is the older term so more people know it as that. Here is my contrabution to this thread.

That's certianly not my understanding. I believe it goes something like this (although it's certainly not always used this way): the amount of curl refers to the amount of figure in the wood, regardless of the type of figure. You've then got quilted figure (only found in Western Bigleaf maple, never in hard maples), which comes out best in a slab cut (IIRC), you've got flamed (which is that first pic, essentially, although that's a flame that's quite unique to western bigleaf, and I usually see it referred to as curly; see curlymaple.com, f'r instance) which comes out best in a quarter cut; within flame (which occurs in both hard and soft maples) you can differentiate between tiger (wide bands of flame) and fiddleback (which is the tighter curl you see on, you guessed it, many a fiddle). I'm not sure if I'm getting the usage of 'curl' and 'flame' confused here, though; it is messy.

However, that quilt refers to a specific type of pattern found in bigleaf maple (and some other woods, like Sapele, from time to time) is certain, and it's different from a flame look.

Curly and flamed are the same quilt, just over time industry has come up with different terms for it. If you do a search on ebay for quilted maple instead of flamed you get more results because quilted is the older term so more people know it as that. Here is my contrabution to this thread.

That's certianly not my understanding. I believe it goes something like this (although it's certainly not always used this way): the amount of curl refers to the amount of figure in the wood, regardless of the type of figure. You've then got quilted figure (only found in Western Bigleaf maple, never in hard maples), which comes out best in a slab cut (IIRC), you've got flamed (which is that first pic, essentially, although that's a flame that's quite unique to western bigleaf, and I usually see it referred to as curly; see curlymaple.com, f'r instance) which comes out best in a quarter cut; within flame (which occurs in both hard and soft maples) you can differentiate between tiger (wide bands of flame) and fiddleback (which is the tighter curl you see on, you guessed it, many a fiddle). I'm not sure if I'm getting the usage of 'curl' and 'flame' confused here, though; it is messy.

However, that quilt refers to a specific type of pattern found in bigleaf maple (and some other woods, like Sapele, from time to time) is certain, and it's different from a flame look.

Yes, the quilted maple patterns are wider and look more like a quilt or tortoise shell pattern, whereas the flamed or curly maple look more linear, lines more so than shapes. As for the species issue, not sure.

Yes, the quilted maple patterns are wider and look more like a quilt or tortoise shell pattern, whereas the flamed or curly maple look more linear, lines more so than shapes. As for the species issue, not sure.

I stand corrected then, sorry guys i must of got the wrong info some where down the line. Btw scott love the RG buy whatever happened to the two necked jem?