Saga Kits

Brian

Hi Folks,

Just bringing those who have been thinking about buying a kit and haven't been able to find one either in stores or on the web up to speed on the latest news.

Saga lost their primary manufacturer of the kit's towards the end of last year and had to find another one. They currently have 2000 kit's on order and the initial shipment from the new facility has hit the dock for distribution over in San Fran but unless your one of the lucky one's that ordered a long time ago your still going to have to wait a bit longer.

The first shipment only contained some 21 of the LC-10 kit's plus others of course while Saga has back orders from vendors such as myself in the neighborhood of 348 of the LC-10's alone.

More are expected but it does take time for them to be containered and shipped across the Pacific.

I figured I would post this here because it is a common question I am recieveing in e-mails over at Universal Jems.

Peace, Brian

• 3 weeks later...

It shouldn't get any worse, cause it already is. Everything is in basswood. THings are done too quickly and lots of holes are often offset etc...SO they shold introduce new woods like mahogany and take more care into their kits. Otherwise I wouln't mind paying an extra $100 if that happens.

It shouldn't get any worse, cause it already is. Everything is in basswood. THings are done too quickly and lots of holes are often offset etc...SO they shold introduce new woods like mahogany and take more care into their kits. Otherwise I wouln't mind paying an extra $100 if that happens.

www.warmoth.com :D

• 1 month later...

Maybe I just got lucky with the quality of the particular kit I bought, but my favourite guitar is a saga PRS copy, with all stock hardware. (I think the pickups were potted by the guy I bought the kit off though).

I like the feel of the neck, the action is low, I like the sound and it stays in tune.

(When I say its my favourite guitar, the ones its up against arent exactly top-of-the-range boutique things, but some cost more than double what it did.)

Maybe I just got lucky with the quality of the particular kit I bought, but my favourite guitar is a saga PRS copy, with all stock hardware. (I think the pickups were potted by the guy I bought the kit off though).

I like the feel of the neck, the action is low, I like the sound and it stays in tune.

(When I say its my favourite guitar, the ones its up against arent exactly top-of-the-range boutique things, but some cost more than double what it did.)

Is taht bolt in or bolt on? Was shaping the head stock easy? Is it prs shape.

is taht bolt in or bolt on?

I had no idea what the difference was so I searched on google and it returned edromans site:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/tech/NeckMountingMyths%20.htm

From the way he describes it, its probably 'bolt in'.

If you want to see exactly what you get look here:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/ht10/ht10.htm

The headstock shaping isnt hard really. Depends what tools you have. When I did mine I had no real previous woodworking experience, I cut it out with a hacksaw, then just sanded it a bit. Its not perfect, but looks fine. If you have more woodworking experience/tools it should be easy.

It was prs shape.

Look at the "HT-10" and "PRS-Style kit" reviews here:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Saga/

The scores range from being very bad to very good, which is what makes me think I got lucky with mine. They seem to vary greatly in quality.

The reviews on Harmony Central should just be banned. They're no longer a legitimate source. Which doesn't mean that some of them aren't true, just that they're now useless. Once upon a time, you could count on HC reviewers to be honest and intelligent, but now... forget it.

You're probably right that there's a flux of quality from day-to-day, though.

Greg