Wrong Shape For The Drill Press....?

RobSm

Hi..

I am building two guitars sort of in parallel ...one to learn on & the other to be...er...good.

I drilled the tail piece holes on no! (SG shape) OK. a bit tight but not so as I have to force the bar...but when I went to drill the holes on No2..a CS 336 shape I found that because of the shape of the guitar I cannot align the drill with the positions of the holes. :D

Does any one know a reliable method to use a hand drill..do you build some sort of jig to keep things straight?

Could a plunge router be used OK?

All suggestions appreciated.

TIA

RobSm

I wouldn't use a plunge router, but that's just me.

Use your drill press to put a correctly-sized (ie. the size of the posts) hole through a fairly substantial hunk of wood. Clamp this wood to the appropriate spot on the guitar. Your drill bit won't naturally want to vary its course, so as long as its path is "true" by using a thick enough piece of wood as your guide, you should be able to pull it off with a hand drill.

Test on scrap first, to see if this technique works for you and your gear.

Greg

What's the problem exactly? Is it that the carve of the top isn't flat to the tip of the drill bit? Or that the throat of the drill press isn't deep enough to line up the hole position with the bit?

Either way, make yourself a smaller starter hole (say 1/16") with the hand-drill, only going in 1/4" or slightly deeper, then either use the drill press or the hand-drill with Greg's wood jig.

What's the problem exactly? Is it that the carve of the top isn't flat to the tip of the drill bit? Or that the throat of the drill press isn't deep enough to line up the hole position with the bit?

The second..The throat of the drill press isn't deep enough...It's a 335 shape scaled down a bit but the bottom bout is full & curvey. I couldn't arrange a suitable alignment.

THanks for the ideas..I'll test on scrap!!

Rob Sm