Glue Line Appearing After Paint!

We've sprayed our back face with primer and laquer, and now the glue line on the back is starting to appear. we've sanded it out and repainted the back already, but the line just came back again. any suggested on wats happening and how to fix it???

We've sprayed our back face with primer and laquer, and now the glue line on the back is starting to appear. we've sanded it out and repainted the back already, but the line just came back again. any suggested on wats happening and how to fix it???

What kinda glue did you use to glue them together? Did you sand all the glue squeeze out away and level the body before starting?

Most of the time is because the guitar was not prepped (sp) well before painting. I had the same problem with the back of my Kelly. I thought that the sealer had done his job, but once the color coat went on I could see the line. Not like yours you can't feel it and it is not depressed.

yes, as a matter of a fact, we did use a laquer sealer/primer!! hopw bad is this?? we also put down some primer coats with a filler primer, and a regualer primer as well. all kinda at different times. are we goin to have to strip the paint and start over??

Sometimes joints telegraph through the finish, aint much you can do about it. Avoid Titebond 2 in future, it's water-resistance is of no use in guitar construction, and the additives which give it this feature also prevent it drying as hard as original titebond. There have been a couple of anecdotal reports on the MIMF of joints failing and the glue in the centre still being soft after weeks of drying, It's also reported to creep more, despite the manufacturers claims.

Stick with the original - it's cheaper, more widely available, and better suited to guitar building.

Very true, Titebond original has proven to be better than their other products for luthier work. Another thing that could give your problems, as I have heard of it happening before, was if you cleaned and lubricated the jointer feed tables with something that left residue on each edge. That would cause you major headaches like your describing, but I'm not saying that's your issue though.

Very true, Titebond original has proven to be better than their other products for luthier work. Another thing that could give your problems, as I have heard of it happening before, was if you cleaned and lubricated the jointer feed tables with something that left residue on each edge. That would cause you major headaches like your describing, but I'm not saying that's your issue though.

basically, i dont think the wood joint was really prepared AT ALL. factory edge to factory edge is wat it was.(to aswer "mammoth guitars"). thanx for the advice about the glue tho, nothing we can do about it on this guitar, but on our next im sure we'll go with a different glue. thanx for the help everyone, very mch appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...