COMPLETE Double Edge System Wiring

Kevan

Here it is.

The definitive wiring for the 1st Gen. Ibanez Double-Edge guitars, including links. I've also included a section on "what does what now" regarding the controls. I'll ask Brian to post this entire thing on the regular site as a downloadable DOC file for those looking to do either the KJG Wiring Mod, or just work on/install a 1st Gen. Double Edge system. I'll get a PDF available for everyone shortly.

***NOTE: THE "KJG WIRING MOD" IS AN EASY PROJECT, BUT A COMPLETE DOUBLE EDGE SYSTEM INSTALLATION IS FOR ADVANCED FOLKS ONLY.***

NO- I AM NOT KIDDING!

You can do some major damage to the D.E. system if you don't know what you're doing. If you have ANY questions about the KJG Wiring Mod or any of the D.E. System, please feel free to email me. I'll gladly answer your questions.

Prefix: This is a direct copy-paste from my old posts on another site. Please excuse the mess. I promise it'll look good for the DOC and PDF files. :-)

COMPLETE WIRING DIAGRAM LINK:

http://www.jemfest.com/misc/kevan/dewiring-full1.jpg

ORIGINAL POSTS:

Saturday, October 14, 2000 - 12:58 am

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working with Ibanez and L.R.Baggs to come up with an alternate way to wire up the Double Edge trem systems found on the J-Custom and Prestige guitars (i.e. the RG-7-CST, RG-6-CST, S-6-CST, and others).

As an owner of an RG-7-CST, I found myself limited by only being able to have EITHER magnetic or piezo going at any one time. This is courtesy of the two-way toggle switch.

After several discussions with both companies, I've come up with a simple setup for running both magnetic AND piezo at the same time. This might sound a little complicated so if you do need help, feel free to email or IM me.

DISCLAIMER: While both Ibanez and L.R. Baggs have been extremely helpful with this project, neither has tested nor approved of this modification. If you do decide to do it, you will probably void your warranty and could really screw up the wiring of your guitar. If you have any doubts, please have an authorized tech check it out for you.

You will need a three-way mini-toggle switch (available from StewMac; Part #1223 (chrome) or #1224 (black)). The switch must be DPDT (double pole, double throw) and be configured for an "ON-ON-ON" setup.

Remove the old switch, and wire up the new 3-way.

Diagram is ©2000, 2001 Kevan J. Geier. Use without permission gives me permission to sue your ass.

NOTE: The "keyway" is the little notch cut down the shaft of the switch...through the threads. If you look for it, you'll see it.

Now, don't worry about the red wires; they both do the same thing, so just get them soldered to the right points on the switch. Also note that Black Wire "A" is ground, and that Black Wire "B" is from your 5-way switch. There's only one orange wire. The number "7211" was the number on mine; your switch might have a different number. Use the keyway as your reference.

NOTE: Your wire colors may vary. Consult the diagram for cross-reference.

As the picture says, the output jack wiring will remain the same. This means "don't touch them".

NOTE: This wiring is for MONO mode only. The "button" for selecting mono or stereo should be in the "up" position. The magnetic volume will control the magnetic p/u's, and the lower control will adjust the volume on the piezo pickups. The tone control only takes care of the magnetic p/u's.

This also means that you will have to run two separate (mono) cables from Outputs Jacks A and B.

-Output Jack A will be your mag. p/u's.

-Output Jack B will be your piezo's.

-Plug Output Jack A into an amp, and Output Jack B into a separate amp.

-Adjust volumes as desired on each amp.

Enjoy the results. I sure do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:56 pm

Post subject: Double Edge Owners- READ THIS!

I thought it might be helpful to post this again, as I found that, when I was looking for info, the diagram link was broken. Maybe the font & image link can be fixed in the original post (people may not scroll)? I'm not a mod, so I can't do this. For now, here's a repost.

Maybe this should go into the archives, as it is a great mod, and 99% of people will come here to find it.

After experimenting with my RG-7-CST some, I've come up with MORE options if you go with the KJG Wiring Modification. Here's the "wiring breakdown" with regard to button position:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUTTON UP:

•3-way Toggle Controls:

Pos. 1- Mag. only with 5-way ("Extra" knob used for tone control).

Pos. 2(center)- Both Mag. and Piezo combined. (5-way still functions & tone for Mag. is still the "Extra" knob)

Pos. 3- Piezo only. (No 5-way; no tone)

•Volume: Mag. volume only. (works independently)

•Tone: Piezo volume only. (works independently)

•"Extra" Knob: Tone for Mag. only.

•Output A: Mag.

•Output B: Piezo.

Cable Suggestion: (2) mono cables, or a Y-cable into a stereo cable (then a splitter at the other end). This will give you two completely independent signals. A single stereo cable will NOT work without a Y-adapter/splitter from the guitar.

BUTTON DOWN:

•3-way Toggle Controls:

Pos 1- Mag. with 5-way; normal tone control position.

Pos 2(center)- Mag. with 5-way & Piezo. (Tone knob is used for "panning" between Mag. and Piezo. "Extra" knob used for tone control of Mag.)

Pos 3- Piezo only. (No 5-way. No tone)

•Volume: Mag. volume for Pos. 1 & 2; Piezo volume when in Pos. 3.

•Tone: "pan" between Mag. & Piezo- Pos. 2 only.

•"Extra" Knob: Tone for Pos. 1.

•Output A: Mag. & Piezo (via one cable; always separate signals for Mag. and Piezo)

•Output B: Not used.

Cable Suggestion: (1) mono cable. This offers only one signal.

-Thanks to Todd Crawford for his help with this project and alternate testing.