Guitar Of The Month For May

Guitar of the Month for May  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another month with some excellent entries! Thankfully not so many this time. :D

I love that maple top and the color on the SG!

The Scott French build is top notch - really nice grain in that back wood... is there supposed to be a truss rod cover?

But my vote goes to SwedishLuthier's hip Longhorn... a great take on an old classic... love that bass clef inlay :D

Mike

This one was a no-brainer --the longhorn bass all the way --well, until Scott French's guitar showed up. I really love the design on that one too--has a Rickenbacker vibe to it, while still remaining wholly original.

Since I can't vote for both, I went with the longhorn, because I'm a sucker for that paintjob and I liked the way he tweaked one of my absolute all-time favorite body shapes. Besides, I'm building a longhorn myself these days :D

But if there were a guitar here that I'd want to OWN, it'd be the SF3. And it's very rare that I find myself wanting to own any of the guitars I see in the GOTM.

But this was a great month --the SG came out great, as did Rokeros' (since I've been following the progress on that one, a great effort). And that pointy bass is neatly done too, just not my taste.

There's sure a lot to love about this bunch, from that gorgeous SG to the quirky hollowbody, but in the end, my inner child worships Neal Moser, and he outvoted me! :D

How can you not love a bass in which the control cavity lights up for no apparent reason!!??! :D

A really good month (again!), but I had to give to Scott - I've been admiring his designs for ages over at the MIMF, and they keep getting better and better.

The devastator is a *fantastic* first effort, and I'm also a sucker for baffling pointless details like the lightup control cover - great stuff. The longhorn bass is cool, whilst I'm not a fan of that kind of burst it definately fits the bill, and the inlay and details are very sharp. John's SG is beautiful, but I'd liked to have seen the orange peel gone, and the grain less visible on the headstock, other than that it's perfect - makes me want to go build an SG right now! Rokeros also turned in a great first build - very nicely done, and the close ups show everything is cleanly attended to - more than I can say about my first build!

I think I'm gonna just burn all the wood I've been collecting. :D The competition keeps getting closer and closer.

I voted for Scott's guitar. One thing bothers me, though--that Strat jackplate just doesn't fit the design. I would think with all the other attention to detail the jack would have been recessed into the wood Jem style or something. Otherwise, great execution.

Now, where's that lighter fluid? :D

The devastator is a *fantastic* first effort

First effort ?!?

Damn right it is.. puts me to shame.

I like everything about the longhorn.. except the body shape :D

Just never personally liked that body shape.

Love the finish and inlay though.

The SG and Tele, while they have lots of there own unique features and look way better than the 'real thing', are still an SG and a Tele. They look fantastic but I prefer to see peoples unique designs.

I feel bad passing any sort of judgement on any of these guitars since they are so much better than I could ever build.

Scott's gets my vote. Everything is so unique and well executed. I love all the quirky features too... the devastater bass has a light up control cavity (that was a plus in my mind)... but Scott's has an egg shaker, fret lights and the cool mercury switch thing.

EDIT: "And remember, I am 16yrs of age and this is build #1"

Just noticed that at the bottom of the post! Feeling even more ashamed of my first one now :D

Edited by Ben

I think I'm gonna just burn all the wood I've been collecting.

You can just send it all to me B)

I voted for the SG, but had the same comments as setch. The orange peel, and the headstock grain. Scotts guitar is very very nice but I don't really like the shape and I'm not too keen on the peice of wood for the front.

The bass is very cool, nice a clean. But I don't really like the burst (personall prefrence only, it's a great bass)

The color and the maple of that SG sucked me right in. :D:D

One thing bothers me, though--that Strat jackplate just doesn't fit the design. I would think with all the other attention to detail the jack would have been recessed into the wood Jem style or something.

Trust me, that thing really bugs me too. The problem is the side of the guitar where I would normal put in a side mount jack is only .5" thick (read: as thick as the strap button) so the output jack options were extremely limited. The angle strat plate was the only useable option I know of since the hollow area inside was so tight.

Edited by Scott French

MAN!! another good month it was hard, I really love that SG but backsidetailslide's devastator bass B)

every one did some deadly work :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Trust me, that thing really bugs me too. The problem is the side of the guitar where I would normal put in a side mount jack is only .5" thick (read: as thick as the strap button) so the output jack options were extremely limited. The angle strat plate was the only useable option I know of since the hollow area inside was so tight.

Not the right place for this, perhaps, but what about using an endpin jack? If it's thick enough for the strap button, it should be thick enough for that, right?

The strat plate doesn't bother me too much since it's on the back of the guitar, but yeah, if there's any flaw in that guitar at all, it's the jack --but judging from your work, you'll come up with an elegant solution (design your own?)

I used to use a lot of barrel jacks and even one of those was too big to fit in the side of the instrument safely. Plus there was no way to get your hand or any tool inside to tighten the nut... it would have to be glued in. :D

I don't think I'll have to figure my way out of this one. I'm not going to make a guitar anywhere near as thin again. It's very comfortable to play and I'm almost certain it's the thinnest guitar ever made... but it was also a ton more work than I would want to do on every instrument. Just another thing to try and learn from.

the sweedish luthers bass

that thing looks so elagent,i love the 2 contrasting colours,plus there a lot of snow in sweeden?

that bass reminds me of snow :D

Edited by whitey

the sweedish luthers bass

that thing looks so elagent,i love the 2 contrasting colours,plus there a lot of snow in sweeden?

that bass reminds me of snow :D

Tanx whitey, glad you liked it.

Yeah we had alot of snow this winter. But finaly the spring is here! Bad for guitar building thou. No fun workig in the shop when its warm outside...

Scott's guitar has class, excellent workmanship and interesting features - the best of the bunch I think. Congrats to all though, especially the young fellas - keep it up.

Thanks for the positive comments and votes for the SG. And thanks for the constructive feedback on the finish. I was racing a deadline to get the guitar completed before I had to catch the plane to Australia and deliver it, and I had to rush - not the best for the outcome I wanted on the finish. I'm not happy with the final result, although I am happy about the color and the way the maple grain comes through the color. Lessons learned from my first finish.

:D

I voted for ^johnny boy^... only because for some reason i am drawn to his avatar...

That and the SG looks really nice. And I think its pretty cool he built it for his son, helluva gift that would be!

Edited by Ledzendrix1128